Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or are the instrument cluster lights and screen brightness VERY low even at the maximum brightness when the auto-headlights first kick on? I find that I have to turn the brightness dial to "parade mode" when the auto headlights first kick on at "dusk" or else everything is way to dim... Maybe 30-45 minutes after the auto-headlights kick on, I can finally disable "parade" mode...

Just wondering if this is "normal" or if there may be something wrong...

Thank you.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I have not used the auto headlight feature of my Hellcat enough to become familiar with it.

What I have become familiar with is if I turn on the headlights -- for instance during the day when it is raining (in CA the law is wipers on, headlights on, but half the drivers don't observe this law) -- the dash lights dim. This is because when I had the lights on at night I dimmed the dash lights some to help my night time vision. So if I want to see the dash clearly I have to dial the brightness all the way up.

On the flip side if I have had headlights on during the day then turn them on again at night the dash lights are way too bright. So I have to use the dash lights brightness control to dial this down again.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, this is my first Dodge, so keep that in mind (have owned GM's my whole life). With my current Impala, for example (2012), the car is smart enough to know how bright to keep the instrument panel lights even if the headlights are on. So they headlights can be on and the instrument panel lights still be bright enough to see at dawn/dusk. With the Challenger, it seems like as soon as the headlight kick on, the instrument panel lights go into "night" mode, regardless of how bright it actually is outside.

Not a huge deal, but like I said, I just want to make sure it's working right or not. Hard to demonstrate to the dealer unless I happen to be there just at the right time of day. :)

I haven't manually controlled my headlights in a LONG time. My last 5 or 6 cars have all had automatic headlights - and I love the feature, to be honest...

I know, first world problems... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, same here. I'm always adjusting the brightness. Especially when driving home and it's still some daylight, the total darkness in the morning heading into work.
What really bothers me is the difference in brightness between 'Max' and 'Daytime'... Just wish there was more in-between brightness.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, this is my first Dodge, so keep that in mind (have owned GM's my whole life). With my current Impala, for example (2012), the car is smart enough to know how bright to keep the instrument panel lights even if the headlights are on. So they headlights can be on and the instrument panel lights still be bright enough to see at dawn/dusk. With the Challenger, it seems like as soon as the headlight kick on, the instrument panel lights go into "night" mode, regardless of how bright it actually is outside.

Not a huge deal, but like I said, I just want to make sure it's working right or not. Hard to demonstrate to the dealer unless I happen to be there just at the right time of day. :)

I haven't manually controlled my headlights in a LONG time. My last 5 or 6 cars have all had automatic headlights - and I love the feature, to be honest...

I know, first world problems... :)

Did you ever figure out if this is normal? Im currently having the same problem

·
Registered
12 Posts
Regrettably, I think this behavior is a programming quirk of the module that controls the lighting and must be considered “normal” for at least some Challengers/Chargers. My Charger is a 2019 SXT Plus. Rolling the dimmer wheel up past the first detent puts the instrument panel in ”Parade Mode.” (Really, who came up with that name, and why call it that?) The BCM module reads internal resistances across pins 1 and 4 of the switch, then decides how much power to send to the cluster to give the intended brightness. This programming is all wrong.

Parade mode is great in full daylight but is blinding in a dark car at night. The brightest dimmed setting below the detent gives instrument lighting FAR too dim for anything but the full dark of night. There is a HUGE gap in brightness between these two settings, and it is wrong and in my view a safety hazard. I think it is negligent on FCA’s part to not address this flaw (feature?). The biggest problem is that the dimmed panel is way too dim in low daylight or dusk conditions, when it may be overcast, raining, or you may be using wipers, etc. You can’t see the damned instruments, and if you go up to the next available brightness , Parade Mode, you feel blinded.

My SXT is currently at the dealer to get the rear differential replaced ( yes, really). They gave me a 2018 Jeep Renegade as a loaner. In it, the dash panel works perfectly. In full daylight, the system will NOT let you dim the panel below full Parade Mode. When you turn the lights on, AND it is still bright outside, the panel stays in Parade mode. You cannot dim it. At dark, the system dims itself, and you can not get into Parade Mode. There is no constant having to manually dim and brighten the panel lighting as we have to do. Really, who let this behavior past final functional checks?

If I thought a Renegade module would fully work in my car, I would put it in to eliminate this nuisance. It’s like the guy who programmed the lighting control logic never drove the cars in real world conditions. FCA could fix this problem if they wanted to. Reflash the module?

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts
Its probably the programming of the light sensor (center bump in dash by windshield) is tied so the lights on / IP cluster brightness vs. the Challenger doesn't have the sensor override.

So its lights on / dimmed IP cluster (unless over-ride by dimmer in Parade mode)

I guess the Parade Mode was that in daylight the vehicle would be run with headlights on, and for IP cluster visibility in daylight to run it up in full lighting intensity.

This is pretty much a carry over from the '08 - '14 which functioned in the same manner as the '15+ models.

When I went to a black gauge face overlay in my '09, I had to over-ride the cluster lighting by putting the dimmer in Parade Mode.

I had lighted needles (OEM setup didn't have this), so that was some indication, but the background was too dark so see markings clearly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its probably the programming of the light sensor (center bump in dash by windshield) is tied so the lights on / IP cluster brightness vs. the Challenger doesn't have the sensor override.

So its lights on / dimmed IP cluster (unless over-ride by dimmer in Parade mode)

I guess the Parade Mode was that in daylight the vehicle would be run with headlights on, and for IP cluster visibility in daylight to run it up in full lighting intensity.

This is pretty much a carry over from the '08 - '14 which functioned in the same manner as the '15+ models.

When I went to a black gauge face overlay in my '09, I had to over-ride the cluster lighting by putting the dimmer in Parade Mode.

I had lighted needles (OEM setup didn't have this), so that was some indication, but the background was too dark so see markings clearly.
I drove the Renegade for a second time this morning, and I will correct slightly my observations of how the instrument panel light dimming works: When the headlights are OFF, there is no instrument panel dimming available at all. When the headlights are on, you DO have full range of the dimming function, even Parade Mode. The gap between the Max setting on the dimmer and the Parade Mode detent is much closer than in the Challenger/Charger, so it is possible to find a comfortable panel brightness with the lights on. I also note that the Min setting on the dimmer wheel allows a much brighter panel than the same does in the Challenger/Charger. Go figure. FCA should fix this.

Curiously, several months ago I rented a Toyota Tacoma pickup that had IP lights that behaved exactly like those in the Challenger/Charger. However, the IP lights in my wife's Avalon behave exactly like those in the Renegade.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
What does the control do next to the dimmer control?? I've rolled it up and down day and night with the dome lights on and off .... no changes I can see.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What does the control do next to the dimmer control?? I've rolled it up and down day and night with the dome lights on and off .... no changes I can see.
It controls the brightness of the footwell lights and cupholder lights. There is not much variance though - you kind of have to be looking at them to see the difference...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It controls the brightness of the footwell lights and cupholder lights. There is not much variance though - you kind of have to be looking at them to see the difference...
Thanks! It was driving my OCD nuts haha.

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
As another note, My car has the 8.4" touchscreen with the upgraded Alpine stereo (if that matters at all). There is a separate dimmer control in the menu for the touchscreen only. It does not address this basic issue, but it does allow you to establish an "offset" between the IP brightness and the touchscreen brightness. The basic issue remains; you can just make the touchscreen X amount brighter or dimmer than you have the IP set. It is not tied to the IP at all in that you cannot control its brightness. Would be nice if it did.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
As another note, My car has the 8.4" touchscreen with the upgraded Alpine stereo (if that matters at all). There is a separate dimmer control in the menu for the touchscreen only. It does not address this basic issue, but it does allow you to establish an "offset" between the IP brightness and the touchscreen brightness. The basic issue remains; you can just make the touchscreen X amount brighter or dimmer than you have the IP set. It is not tied to the IP at all in that you cannot control its brightness. Would be nice if it did.
I haven't seen it for the screen but I'm sure gonna look again thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
For 2016 8.4"

Not sure if this just mimics adjustment available from the dash control

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
179 Posts
Mine don't dim. I think there is a setting in the touchscreen options to turn them up or down, but I only messed with it once. Think that's where it was.

EDIT... just saw the post above mine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts