Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 20 year old college student looking for a '15 plus Challenger with a clean driving record. I'm personally not a fan of the V6 and I want at least an R/T Plus with the 5.7, the T/A Plus would be even better, but a Scat Pack or an SRT 392 would be my ideal. Whether that's realistic or not is another discussion :p but I was curious if there's much of a difference in the price for insurance between a Scat Pack and an SRT. Obviously most commercial companies would charge me a lot of money to insure either of those cars but I'm an Air Force ROTC cadet and I contracted a few weeks ago, making me eligible for USAA auto insurance. Any veterans here who've insured their cars through them that could give me an idea of what prices I could be looking at?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I'm a 20 year old college student looking for a '15 plus Challenger with a clean driving record. I'm personally not a fan of the V6 and I want at least an R/T Plus with the 5.7, the T/A Plus would be even better, but a Scat Pack or an SRT 392 would be my ideal. Whether that's realistic or not is another discussion :p but I was curious if there's much of a difference in the price for insurance between a Scat Pack and an SRT. Obviously most commercial companies would charge me a lot of money to insure either of those cars but I'm an Air Force ROTC cadet and I contracted a few weeks ago, making me eligible for USAA auto insurance. Any veterans here who've insured their cars through them that could give me an idea of what prices I could be looking at?
20yo
College student
ROTC Cadet

This all sounds like a bad idea to me.

Do yourself a favor and wait until you're at least 25 before you buy a sports car or you're going to be pissing away your money on stupidly high insurance rates.

Get a V6 to whet your palette and get a larger displacement car down the line.

Or don't, I'm just a voice of reason, not a cop.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize it's probably not THE smartest move, but I don't want to wait too much longer before Dodge has to start discontinuing the V8's (which will probably drive up the price of the V8 Challengers in existence) or before premium gas becomes much more expensive.

·
Registered
760 Posts
20 year old with one accident on file (not my fault) and a couple of personal discounts, I pay 2100 every 6 months on my 13' RT.

That is the cheapest I could find (Progressive), out of the main insurance companies. It doesn't kill me but its pretty hefty.

Course this is location dependent. In Phoenix, AZ insurance goes up because of the theft rates. My girlfriend's family insure all their cars up north to a cabin they own (yes this is insurance fraud lol) and they pay significantly less. My cost would be close to $500 less if I were to do the same thing.

But yes, insurance on a v8 new model car will be a bit steep.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
20 year old with one accident on file (not my fault) and a couple of personal discounts, I pay 2100 every 6 months on my 13' RT.

That is the cheapest I could find (Progressive), out of the main insurance companies. It doesn't kill me but its pretty hefty.

Course this is location dependent. In Phoenix, AZ insurance goes up because of the theft rates. My girlfriend's family insure all their cars up north to a cabin they own (yes this is insurance fraud lol) and they pay significantly less. My cost would be close to $500 less if I were to do the same thing.

Hm, perhaps it will be better where either I or my parents live, I spend a good amount of time in both places and use my parents' address as my legal address.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I realize it's probably not THE smartest move, but I don't want to wait too much longer before Dodge has to start discontinuing the V8's (which will probably drive up the price of the V8 Challengers in existence) or before premium gas becomes much more expensive.
No, pal, what *I'm* doing isn't the smartest move.

I'm 27, out of college, and earning about as much as my car costs a year. I'm paying $115 in insurance and only because I barely put 6000~ miles a year on it. No previous records.

What you want to do is financial suicide and you're going to kick yourself in the head for parking a ~$40k in a college lot.

V8 isn't going anywhere, and these cars aren't collectible to the point where used ones will be out of your financial reach in 5 years. You can't throw a rock in an FCA dealership without hitting something with the 5.7l in it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Shop around, and make some calls, best way to do it.

I'm assuming you are working so make a budget you can afford and stick to it (not to give you life advice but..lol). I work security full time, go to college as a full time student, pay rent on an apartment, pay car insurance and still make ends meet (and have room to put money into savings). Its possible, trust me, it is. But you have to be savvy and understand that you will have to make sacrifices in some places. Just draw up a budget of what you could possibly afford and go from there.

Its only financial suicide if you make it so and you literally cannot afford it. My car is my prized possession and I'll keep it till I die so if that means I gotta live on peanut butter and bread, so be it, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
NEVER live for a car, it’s just a car especially if it’s the only thing you have of value.
Insurance fraud can get you jail time if they are really pissy about it or a fine enough to make you sell the car and still be sort money. Let the military know you’re up on fraud charges and you’ll have a big problem with them too.
People who use the other address but have a wreck usually get caught when they wreck near where they really live and get it repaired there too. Insurance companies aren’t stupid.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Technically your address should match from registration to license to insurance, however many insurance companies make exceptions for things like out of state college and living on a college campus or campus property. You said you stay in a college apartment complex, are you out of state? How far is the commute back to your parents? If its a 30 minute drive, I doubt it will be any cheaper really.

These are things you should discuss with insurance companies though, calling around is best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2 cents - If the cost of insurance is of a "difference between making or missing payments" level of concern, then the car is probably outside of a "smart" price range. The slightest hiccup in your life and you will have to sell the car or worse lose the car and the equity you've put into it, not to mention the credit problems you set yourself up for to deal with for years.

I'd either find a way to hold out and wait some years to get a great car (25+ years old), as some others have mentioned. Or find a used one that can still make you happy, but comes with a much lower price tag, enabling you to certainly and easily make the car+insurance+fuel costs.

As for actual experience of ownership, my opinion is that unless you are a track enthusiast, the RT 5.7 V8s give just as much 'driving around town' enjoyment as the bigger engines. The bigger engine models also have higher performance components for controlling the power safely that will all need to be maintained. Just check out Hellcat brake replacement vs RT brake replacement as one example.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I wish I could go back and tell my 20 year old self not to piss away money on cars.

I really want to tell you not to make the same mistakes so many others before you have made, but I know you won't listen. My good friends son (Navy) wanted a new car, we told him, get something reliable and inexpensive.

He didn't listen. He bought an 08 BMW 5 series. No more than a month later, the car is having problems and he is car poor.

Best of luck to you.

Having money to take a girl out will get you more action than having a cool car and being broke.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
Join USAA and get a free quote. A Guy

·
Registered
258 Posts

$ 4200 per year, WOW..........been a long time since I was young, guess I'm done complaining about my $700 a year insurance on the 2017 GT..........thought that was high, since I was paying $560 on my 2010 SE..........but I'm old 66 LOL.

Rich

·
Registered
760 Posts
Gotta pay to play lol.

This car isn?t just a car to me (like I?m sure many can sympathize). It?s my passion and a hobby. One of the few things that keeps me sane in the stress of working 50+ hour weeks (in part to pay for the car insurance lol). I didn?t grow up in a household that wrenched so everything is self taught or picked up from my girlfriends dad (who has garage restored many a cars). It?s something to do besides mindlessly work. And I mean, having a nice car and driving fast/racing can?t be left behind in the 70s. Something I think *most* guys need to go through (and some, get stuck in).

If the OP has this kind of passion, in my opinion, the car is worth the costs and sacrifices (assuming you can realistically afford it).

These cars are fairly reliable and easy to work on. Part prices can be a b*tch though, replacement and aftermarket.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Gotta pay to play lol.

This car isn?t just a car to me (like I?m sure many can sympathize). It?s my passion and a hobby. One of the few things that keeps me sane in the stress of working 50+ hour weeks (in part to pay for the car insurance lol). I didn?t grow up in a household that wrenched so everything is self taught or picked up from my girlfriends dad (who has garage restored many a cars). It?s something to do besides mindlessly work. And I mean, having a nice car and driving fast/racing can?t be left behind in the 70s. Something I think *most* guys need to go through (and some, get stuck in).

If the OP has this kind of passion, in my opinion, the car is worth the costs and sacrifices (assuming you can realistically afford it).

These cars are fairly reliable and easy to work on. Part prices can be a b*tch though, replacement and aftermarket.
I'm in a similar boat to yours.

OP can have any kind of passion he wants once he's no longer 20, a college student, or training to be in the military.

There's a difference between living for your hobby, and what this gentleman wants to do (see: financial suicide).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not here to give you advice on your financial decisions so I'm just going to jump into answering your question. I'm active duty stationed in one of the more expensive cities to insure a car (Las Vegas). With full coverage on my 2015 RT plus I'm paying $1200 every 6 months through Geico. USAA had me quoted at $1500 every 6 months. No accidents or tickets either but I am under 25. Just do some shopping around before settling for USAA. Just cause they serve the military and their family doesn't mean they're going to be the cheapest. On another note, I heard their customer service is outstanding. I haven't had any issues with Geico so I'm sticking with them. Best of luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts