Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2009 SRT, and was wondering what car insurance solutions you folks have come up with. First off, if I insure it fully for the summer, my insurance company will charge $3300 for the year. Why? Because I have two vehicles already, one for my wife, and myself. I also have a teenage son, who would all of a sudden be considered a primary driver (although not permitted to drive the Challenger) and get charged full rate! This is why I hate insurance companies…..
Any solutions to save money? Are there insurance companies that would offer insurance for the Challenger for infrequent usage such as Sunday drivers, etc.? One solution is to take my vehicle off the road and drive the Challenger all summer, but then it would be in the rain, etc….. Not what I want to do. Or am I screwed and have to pay full price for the summer???
Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im 34 and Im paying about $1100 full year coverage for my 09 SE with Primmum combined with my Harley sportster. My challenger being the first car Ive ever had registered and insured under my name. I got a quote for an RT and it was just a little bit more.

·
Registered
337 Posts
ask if you can sign a waver, to exclude you son. or go phone shopping, or kick the kid out of the house LOL

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Insure the 2 family cars with one company. I use TD home and auto.

I insure my Challenger with my Home insurance company ( Co Operators) since TD won't cover modified cars. With a waver signed that my son won't drive it, costs me less than $400 for 6 months.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Just bought a 2009 SRT, and was wondering what car insurance solutions you folks have come up with. First off, if I insure it fully for the summer, my insurance company will charge $3300 for the year. Why? Because I have two vehicles already, one for my wife, and myself. I also have a teenage son, who would all of a sudden be considered a primary driver (although not permitted to drive the Challenger) and get charged full rate! This is why I hate insurance companies…..
Any solutions to save money? Are there insurance companies that would offer insurance for the Challenger for infrequent usage such as Sunday drivers, etc.? One solution is to take my vehicle off the road and drive the Challenger all summer, but then it would be in the rain, etc….. Not what I want to do. Or am I screwed and have to pay full price for the summer???
Any ideas?

I don't know how it is in Canada but in NY you can sign a wavier stating your son will not drive a specific car and if he does, the insurance company will not be held liable. Also here I don't have to even list the kids until they actually have their license. The best way to do this is to take your cheapest car and register it and insure it in your son's name then your policy would be for just you and your wife. I have the 2014 Shaker, 06 dodge 4wd truck and my 03 Chevy with full coverage on all, lowest deductible and am only paying a little under 1200 for all 3. If we were to take the defensive driving course, the premium would go down another 15%. Knock on wood, no accidents or tickets for 25 years so far... not even a parking ticket.
Call around... each insurance company is at war with the others. You should be able to find a decent rate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
769 Posts
$ 912 a year, I only drive the car 4-5 months out of the year
43 y/o with TD insurance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts