Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I (wife and I) upgraded from a 2012 Challenger SXT Plus, to a 2020 Scat Pack wide body. I expected my insurance to increase substantially...

Strange that it actually dropped a modest amount. Roughly paying $400 per year. on the Scat. Paid around 55K on the car.

Funny, our 2010 Buick LaCrosse CSX and 2012 Honda CRV are at about $480 per year each.

Same coverages... 250K//500K, $500 deductibles. Uninsured/Under insured coverage as well.

On the other hand, I know we are going to get hammered on property tax going forward because of the Scat..

Still, I was surprised. I'm retired, so the Buick and Scat are listed as "pleasure cars." Only the CRV is a commute driver for the wifey.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Yep, never get these rates around here, location zip code is 90% of the rate.

$400 per year for a Scat Pack? It would be easy 4 times that in my zip code.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

$810 every 6 months with a paid in full discount. Otherwise it's $1,000+ every 6 months. So, yeah, 4 times what OP pays.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Huh? Property tax for a car?

<Google Search>

Dang, I did not know such a thing existed in other states. Silly me, thinking I could come between the government and my money.
Yes. Some states assess personal property tax on motor vehicles, boats, RVs, airplanes and such.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,007 Posts
Yes. Some states assess personal property tax on motor vehicles, boats, RVs, airplanes and such.
:unsure:

🤨

🧐

🤨

After some considerable thought on this, I have come to the conclusion that is nuking futs!!

·
Registered
2019 1320 ScatPack PBM
338 Posts
Insurance here in Michigan has been n still is messed up, but due to laws changing here my coverage on 2019 1320 and 2019 Ram 1500 just dropped from $2200 a yr. to $1350...just need to get rid of "catastrophic fee" now...that adds somewhere near $300 per vehicle per year to insurance cost. 😡

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,715 Posts
:unsure:

🤨

🧐

🤨

After some considerable thought on this, I have come to the conclusion that is nuking futs!!
Some states have no state income tax, but tax heavily on spending, like NV. Here in PA, we are in between I guess, straight percent income tax, 6% sales tax on everything but "consumables" like food,clothing,magazines. And you pay tax on the difference when you trade a car. Then Pgh and Philly area have 1% additional sales tax because people are stupid. (fact!)

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,425 Posts

For my Hellcat insurance cost was $720 for 6 months insurance. About the same coverage as the OP listed.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,425 Posts
Huh? Property tax for a car?

<Google Search>

Dang, I did not know such a thing existed in other states. Silly me, thinking I could come between the government and my money.
AR levies a property tax on cars. Moved here in August. Had my 2018 Hellcat appraised. Did this online. Came back with $0. Went to the Department of Finance Administration and the assessor clerk took a printed copy of the assessment I received via email after submitting the info online and told me there is no property tax due this year. But I will get a reminder or something some time after the 1st of the year reminding me I have to get the car appraised again in 2021 sometime between Jan. 1 and May 31. Oh, I paid $36 for registration and an AR license plate and an AR title is in the mail.

Registered the Hellcat in CA earlier this year -- January -- and paid just over $400.

Then on August 14 bought a new Mercedes Benz cargo van. Did the assessment thing on line and got the same $0 appraisal. At the DFA again there is no property tax due. I paid sales tax on the purchase: $1827 (6.5%; "regular" sales tax here is 9.5% which is damn near what I was paying in CA). Have not yet gone through the assessor's line or gotten a license plate/registration for the van. Still awaiting for the van paperwork from M-B to arrive. Once I have this I can then go back to the DFA and eventually get a license plate and registration for the van.

As an aside, paying $2.29gallon for 91 ethanol free gasoline here. In CA I was paying $3.49/gallon for 91 with 10% ethanol.

Another plus here is -- while I look for a house to buy -- I have a 1 bedroom apartment with washer and dryer in unit, forced central heating/AC, dishwasher, and overall a larger and newer/nicer apartment than the one I had in CA and paying 1/2 what was paying for the apartment in CA.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup! No matter what State you’re in, they’re gonna get in your wallet one way or another.

Be it personal property tax, or in the alternative much higher real estate tax (like Texas), higher sales and/or gas taxes, yada yada.

Pick your poison!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack T/A 392 M6 Go Mango
58 Posts
Some states have no state income tax, but tax heavily on spending, like NV. Here in PA, we are in between I guess, straight percent income tax, 6% sales tax on everything but "consumables" like food,clothing,magazines. And you pay tax on the difference when you trade a car. Then Pgh and Philly area have 1% additional sales tax because people are stupid. (fact!)
And then some states have income tax and property tax on vehicles on top of the obligatory sales tax. :mad: Then I get to pay about $1,300 year for 250/500 coverage on my Challenger.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
Let's just call it what it is...extortion with the threat of imprisonment or death.
Yup. Seizure of your labor at the point of a gun.

Don't believe me? Stop paying taxes. Eventually someone from the Department of Making You Sad will show up with a gun take your property from you (or remove you from your property).

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
We are all different, but that almost sounds wrong regardless. I would double check on that coverage, you would not want them to say there was a mistake and deny you the needed coverage, if something bad happens.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
We are all different, but that almost sounds wrong regardless. I would double check on that coverage, you would not want them to say there was a mistake and deny you the needed coverage, if something bad happens.
Again, it has to do with location ( mainly ), age, sex, driving record. All insurance is priced that way. My Wrangler in Missouri was chump change to what I pay on my Scat in Florida. Where I lived in Missouri, crime was low, less thefts, not a hot spot for major storms etc. Florida, large amount of storms, higher crime, more insurance payouts, etc. That all adds up to higher insurance rates.

Yes, I agree with you on always double checking your coverage ( I'm 100/300/100 ).

·
Registered
397 Posts
If your insurance person is looking out for you in balancing the order, they may have dropped a overdriven 'cheap' car for an underdriven expensive car. For some reason the order counts, just don't obviously lie yourself to get it.

·
Registered
2018 PCP Scat Pack w/dynamics
170 Posts
Same thing happened with me. Being 24, traded in my rallye redline for the scat pack. Going from 305 to 485 hp, I expected insurance to be steep but only increased by around $10/month for the same coverage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.