Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy rolls his F150 the other day, and his insurance company denies his claim because of his unclaimed Roush supercharger.

Since I was considering adding a Kenne Bell to my 09 SRT8, I immediately called my insurance broker. She advises that (i) if I disclose the supercharger, my policy will be cancelled, and (ii) if I don't disclose the supercharger, my policy will be breached and any claim denied. While she can find me coverage elsewhere, my premiums would triple.

While I am willing to concede warranty coverage, I can't eat the extra insurance cost. And non-disclosure is a non-starter - why pay premiums for no coverage? Can anyone on the board with a supercharger let me know how they've handled this? Surely there are insurance companies (writing policies in Canada hopefully) that understand that adding performance parts does not make one a street racer.

Thanks, Twoputt.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I declared mine as a highly modified race car and a value. Insurance company will honor normal covered parts but I have to self insure modified parts. They don't cover at the racetrack either, just on the street. My premium is around $ 500 per year based on less than 5000 miles driven a year and I am over 60 years old. Mine is from a local insurance company.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I declared mine as a highly modified race car and a value. Insurance company will honor normal covered parts but I have to self insure modified parts. They don't cover at the racetrack either, just on the street. My premium is around $ 500 per year based on less than 5000 miles driven a year and I am over 60 years old. Mine is from a local insurance company.
As always, thanks much Rubbel. Just to clarify, I'm not concerned with insuring my aftermarket parts. That is money well and truly p*ssed away from day one. I just don't want to lose coverage on the rest of my car or my liability coverage.

Cheers, Twoputt.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have State Farm. I told them exactly what I have (Hurst supercharged), and they insured it. It might be because it was sort of "factory" installed. Don't know. The agent had to call the head office to see if it could be insured.

I told them it would be a low mileage car, and they checked last year to see if I was keeping my word, which I was.

·
Banned
664 Posts
If you go with one of the collector car insurances like Hagerty, you insure them for a stated value. They do not limit how often you can drive them either. They insure it under the exotic title. Try them for a quote.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
So my buddy rolls his F150 the other day, and his insurance company denies his claim because of his unclaimed Roush supercharger.
Did your buddy mention the supercharger to them after the wreck to get a few extra bucks or did the insurance company discover it on their own?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hagerty is a great company and although they don't limit your mileage , the vehicle insured is only to be used for pleasure driving ... not your daily driver. I insure my 64 Riviera w/ them.

·
Premium Member
2015 SRT 392
665 Posts
Did your buddy mention the supercharger to them after the wreck to get a few extra bucks or did the insurance company discover it on their own?
Excellent question. How would they even know what was under the hood. A supercharger in an F150 isn't exactly a popular mod. He must have said something.

If a supercharged RT is wrecked, you are out $8000. Mention it and you are out $35,000 + $8000.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Excellent question. How would they even know what was under the hood.
Exactly...In this day and age, you would think they have learned enough to have professional inspectors look over the vehicle before processing a claim, but at the same time I believe they are dumb as posts.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

This is where one of these comes in handy. Paint the block orange and it looks just like a stocker.

·
Premium Member
2015 SRT 392
665 Posts
Exactly...In this day and age, you would think they have learned enough to have professional inspectors look over the vehicle before processing a claim, but at the same time I believe they are dumb as posts.
Actually its the insurance adjuster's job to look over the car for valuating the claim. But all they really do is look at bodywork, mileage, airbags, etc, for a rough estimate of repair cost. But they review a lot more Honda Accords than Challengers and probably won't know the diff between a 5.7L Hemi and a 5.7L Hemi with a S/C bolted on.

The problem comes when the car isn't a total write off and they actually have to work on the car. The second estimate from the repair shop may mention 'super charger' in the parts list. :confused: A savvy insurance inspector may spot that in the paperwork. He gets his Christmas bonus and you are out $35,000.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Actually its the insurance adjuster's job to look over the car for valuating the claim. But all they really do is look at bodywork, mileage, airbags, etc, for a rough estimate of repair cost. But they review a lot more Honda Accords than Challengers and probably won't know the diff between a 5.7L Hemi and a 5.7L Hemi with a S/C bolted on.

The problem comes when the car isn't a total write off and they actually have to work on the car. The second estimate from the repair shop may mention 'super charger' in the parts list. :confused: A savvy insurance inspector may spot that in the paperwork. He gets his Christmas bonus and you are out $35,000.
LOL I do not care how many challengers they have seen, they pop the hood and they will notice it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't see why you would be denied insurance coverage just because you added a supercharger? If I add an exhaust or new rims I don't see how that would cause a problem so why the supercharger? I've never heard of this.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't see why you would be denied insurance coverage just because you added a supercharger? If I add an exhaust or new rims I don't see how that would cause a problem so why the supercharger? I've never heard of this.
Neither do I. I can see not covering at the track and what not. But adding a supercharger is just a performance upgrade, like an exhaust and intake. I seriously doubt they would deny insurance on the car for that. I can obviously see them not covering the after-market part, but not the car. Seems like they just want to see if they can get away with not paying for the car. Ask a Lawyer, see what they say.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Get rid of that insurance company. I have State Farm and spoke with them about it. No problem.

·
Premium Member
2015 SRT 392
665 Posts
Neither do I. I can see not covering at the track and what not. But adding a supercharger is just a performance upgrade, like an exhaust and intake. I seriously doubt they would deny insurance on the car for that. I can obviously see them not covering the after-market part, but not the car. Seems like they just want to see if they can get away with not paying for the car. Ask a Lawyer, see what they say.
There are two concepts here:

1. Value of the accessory: Do they have to pay you for the s/c that was destroyed with the rest of the car. A supercharger aint cheap, and the owner wants to be reimbursed.

2. Risk: Did you lie to them because when you got the original quote, they evaluated risk based on the car as it is equipped from the factory. If the car has 150 more HP, thats more risk for them because you are a little closer to death, statistically speaking.

Both of these would cause your policy premium to go up, so you are in breach of contract if you never mentioned the supercharger and they find out. Then again, if you tell them, they may drop your policy.

·
Registered
402 Posts
There are two concepts here:

1. Value of the accessory: Do they have to pay you for the s/c that was destroyed with the rest of the car. A supercharger aint cheap, and the owner wants to be reimbursed.

2. Risk: Did you lie to them because when you got the original quote, they evaluated risk based on the car as it is equipped from the factory. If the car has 150 more HP, thats more risk for them because you are a little closer to death, statistically speaking.

Both of these would cause your policy premium to go up, so you are in breach of contract if you never mentioned the supercharger and they find out. Then again, if you tell them, they may drop your policy.

1- that is why I said them not covering after-market accessories. that is what my insurance does. If I wreck they cover everything except the after-market parts.
2- I can see this. Mostly, you have to look at the contract that was signed. Usually they will mention something about after-market parts. It also depends on the company, and your record I assume.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts