Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To paraphrase a professional test driver; '...90% of the public have no business behind the wheel of the Hellcat'. I absolutely agree with this statement. The 345 R/T is more powerful than the majority of street muscle that roamed the streets in the 1970's. Plopping your butt behind the wheel of a SRT powered MOPAR (or similar) comes with immense responsibility and required skill, of course. I love the idea of being able to pilot track qualified power on the street, who wouldn't? I do not however trust the majority of characters that I see driving them. That's another story...

Frankly, I'm surprised that insurance companies are willing to insure the Hellcat. The 345 R/T has more than enough HP/TQ for the street. I got-on my new 345 R/T the other night, and was blown-away by its power! The insurance is not terribly expensive, but then I have a clean record. I'm a fine driver with many years of experience driving high-powered vehicles. Even so, the thought of getting behind the wheel of a Hellcat (on city streets) would challenge my ability to govern my behavior accordingly. 馃榿

For those who are driving a Hellcat, how does your insurance price vs other vehicles? Any similarly powered make/model, doesn't matter.

Registered
2020 Shelby GT350
Most people that can easily afford a HC likely will have no problem paying the insurance premiums.
But it can make a difference.

Before buying my 436 horsepowered 2011 Grand Sport Corvette, I considered the 505 Horsepowered Z06.
When I realized the insurance was considerably higher, I decided the extra 69 horsepower was not at all worth $500 a year more in insurance premiums.

Obviously there is a greater horsepower range between a Scat pack and a HC,

Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Challenger SXT AWD
When we started talking about adding another Challenger I researched insurance between a Scat Pack and a Hellcat. It鈥檚 tough to compare exact numbers because of ages, driving records, locations, multi-vehicle discounts, family members, tying in homeowner鈥檚 insurance, etc. However, for me, the Scat Pack is only about $30/month more than my SXT. A Hellcat? Would鈥檝e been an additional $300 per month.

Reactions: Carbide

Premium Member
To paraphrase a professional test driver; '...90% of the public have no business behind the wheel of the Hellcat'. I absolutely agree with this statement. The 345 R/T is more powerful than the majority of street muscle that roamed the streets in the 1970's. Plopping your butt behind the wheel of a SRT powered MOPAR (or similar) comes with immense responsibility and required skill, of course. I love the idea of being able to pilot track qualified power on the street, who wouldn't? I do not however trust the majority of characters that I see driving them. That's another story...

Frankly, I'm surprised that insurance companies are willing to insure the Hellcat. The 345 R/T has more than enough HP/TQ for the street. I got-on my new 345 R/T the other night, and was blown-away by its power! The insurance is not terribly expensive, but then I have a clean record. I'm a fine driver with many years of experience driving high-powered vehicles. Even so, the thought of getting behind the wheel of a Hellcat (on city streets) would challenge my ability to govern my behavior accordingly. 馃榿

For those who are driving a Hellcat, how does your insurance price vs other vehicles? Any similarly powered make/model, doesn't matter.
I was very surprised and pleased when I was told the insurance on my new Scat was only $30 more per month than the Toyota Sienna van I am trading on it. And I was told that was only because it is a 2 year newer vehicle that cost more than the van. Not a HC of course but still a huge step up in performance from the van. Didn't even ask about a HC though.

Registered
2020 Shelby GT350
When we started talking about adding another Challenger I researched insurance between a Scat Pack and a Hellcat. It鈥檚 tough to compare exact numbers because of ages, driving records, locations, multi-vehicle discounts, family members, tying in homeowner鈥檚 insurance, etc. However, for me, the Scat Pack is only about $30/month more than my SXT. A Hellcat? Would鈥檝e been an additional $300 per month.
Wow!

Registered
As long as you have a garage and another daily driver, Hagerty will gladly take unmodified Hellcats and you won't pay anywhere near $300 per month, maybe $1000 per year guessing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
My best advice is shop companies, apples to apples coverage, from as many as you can.

As others have stated, way too many variables to compare your cost, to what folks are paying here.

Premium Member
As long as you have a garage and another daily driver, Hagerty will gladly take unmodified Hellcats and you won't pay anywhere near $300 per month, maybe $1000 per year guessing.

Good advice! Went to insure the Demon and my agent sugested going with Hagerty, and getting the SC 09 SRT on that policy as well. Thought that was cool to have my insurance company give up the 09 like that!. The Hagerty rate came in and the 09 ended up being 1/3 the cost that I was paying through my agent. With a total cost of around sixteen bills a year for the pair. Not bad at all...

HOT ROD ON

Premium Member
My best advice is shop companies, apples to apples coverage, from as many as you can.

As others have stated, way too many variables to compare your cost, to what folks are paying here.
I love how people anywhere talk dollars but not coverages or deductibles.
I bought my daughter a new Jeep Grand Cherokee limited two days ago and decided at 24 she should get her own insurance too, she got a quote from geico for $2600 with basic limits like $100,000 and a $1000 deductible. I called our carrier who came in $300 less, $500,000 limits with uninsured and underinsured as well and $500 collision and $100 comprehensive. They also pay $50 a day for a rental, roadside assistance and include gap insurance too. It was night and day different from the gekko people and we now have a one year policy, not 6 months. So all things matter including your location.
One interesting thing I learned while talking to the agent was if you buy a used car that was used as a rental car it cost more to insure that than a used car owned by an individual. Live and learn. The brand new Jeep cost less to insure than a 1-2 year old used one. Boy, that Jeep is a pricey little SUV.

Registered
Like others, I'm older and have no accidents/tickets, so my Hellcat is just a few dollars more than my previous 6.4 SRT Challengers. Not much more than my wife's Malibu really. Insurance varies state to state and person to person.

As for driving the Hellcat on the street, yes, its a bit much for most. It can overpower the rear wheels at any time, any speed, any weather. Worst mistake I made was buying the all seasons with this (even with the WB). Still no traction and I'll end up forking out sooner than later for summer only tires. But most of us know the gas pedal is not an on/off switch, and if you've driven lots of powerful RWD cars before, you know what you can and can't do. But an unexperienced driver in one, yeah, that's accident waiting to happen. Like Mustangs at car meets.

I will say compared to my 2 SRTs, the Hellcat is insanely fun. Both of those were great cars and a ton of fun, this is just more. More power, more sound, more fun. Its stupid fun as I tell people. Hard not to smile while driving it, then again, I smiled every time I drove my SRTs. All good cars.

Premium Member
I get a kick out of the "Hellcat is too much for the street", etc expert commentators. Having owned and driven '60s era muscle cars for years, the Hellcat is much better behaved, easy to daily drive, much easier to keep under control and to recover from a mistake. No comparison. That said I agree that most drivers today should not be on the street regardless of what they are driving.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I get a kick out of the "Hellcat is too much for the street", etc expert commentators. Having owned and driven '60s era muscle cars for years, the Hellcat is much better behaved, easy to daily drive, much easier to keep under control and to recover from a mistake. No comparison. That said I agree that most drivers today should not be on the street regardless of what they are driving.
I think the reviewer was referring to the Redeye model. Still, it's a lot of power for the average DD who's not experienced with driving a muscle car.

Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
One of the reasons I decided to build my R/T rather than trade, still paying the same low premiums with about the same straight line performance as a Scat, not hellcat range yet...

Registered
2020 Challenger SP WB - Hellraisin, A8, Plus Pckg, Tech Grp, Driver Conv, Alpine, Sunroof, Spoiler
my insurance didnt go up that much going to a 2020 Scat Pack from a 2018 loaded RAM Laramie but I also work from home and insure it as a "leisure" car even though i daily drive it. i put few enough miles on it to qualify so it saves me some coin.

Registered
2011 gwe srt
very few are sold to crazy 20 somethings. Truth be told if i was in my 20s right now id probably be 6 feet under. most of them are sold to 60 and 70 year olds and most are rarely if ever ran with a foot burried in the floor. Also like was said it isnt like were talking a high maintenance unrully 500 hp car from the 70s. A hellcat is everybit as streetable as a gt. It has this noval thing called an excelleator peddle which is suppose to be connected to another noval thing (at least these day) a brain. Id have to bet that if you were 22 and went to auto owners and tried to insure a hellcat it would be a heck of alot differnt then me doing it. Right now my 2011 srt cost about 20 percent less to insure then my 2015 wrangler with the same coverage. Id bet because more wranglers hit trees and get dented on the trail then hellcats get drove into trees. I did check last year on insuring a hellcat because i was seriously looking to buy one. Insurance on it would have been within a 100 dollars a year of what i pay on my 2020 ram.

Premium Member

Even still, my completely modified 2011 SRT8 (now with over 840+ RWHP) is insured for replacement value north of 70K is only 1K a year. Of course, she only comes out on sunny days, doesn't get her feet wet, sits most of the time at car shows, and gets ?maybe? 2.5K a year on the road....

It's all about SMILES per mile... life is short enjoy it while you can.
And as for the OP, I agree. Most folks should not be behind the wheel of a high horse power car without proper appreciation - which is evidenced by the number of Hellcats, Redeyes and even 392 SP's wrapped around telephone poles and the like - merely miles from dealer ownership.

I would suggest folks who want to experience the true nature of these type vehicles should invest in a track day driver education course, or better yet, pursue a NHRA license to fully and completely appreciate the power under your right foot.

Drive on, drive safe.

Great quote from a member on this forum ...
"Now I lay rubber down the street. I pray the lord traction I keep, but if I do begin to slide, please dear God, save my ride."

Registered
Naaaah, depends on where you are. My rates doubled when I went from Upstate NY to central Fl. Same cars, same coverages. A lot was the giant bump in cost for un/Under insured motorist coverage. Take a guess why.... ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts