Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have seen and read this before about lose intake bolts on the 5.7 well I checked mine today and sure enough all were loose. Tightened to 105 inch lbs. To me idle seems smoother, mine seemed rough or jumpy at times. Performance wise runs as good as it always did. 2013 auto sorry forgot to put that in there.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,595 Posts
I just checked mine...got about 2 turns each on them!!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
There's a really long thread on that elsewhere on the forums here: just do a search for "intake alert". The bolts on my 2015 SRT were all between about 8 and 10 inch pounds. I torqued them down to 50 inch/lb each but was afraid to go beyond that. I think the prevailing advice is, if you are going to torque them down, just do it once and don't keep redoing it because after a while they'll all end up loose again. And if you keep cranking them, you can distort either the manifold or the seals, or both.

As someone has pointed out, there's never been a reported issue that caused any real problem with loose intake bolts, but a lot of us have improved idle or light throttle response by tightening them. So on the flip side, I haven't heard of anyone having any trouble with tightening them either. I'd just be careful to not keep cranking them down if they get loose again because you could distort things and make it worse.

Mike

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,595 Posts
Mikey, the correct torque is 105 in lbs. I was cringing doing it because it seemed like alot, but that's what mine are now at....

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Mikey, the correct torque is 105 in lbs. I was cringing doing it because it seemed like alot, but that's what mine are now at....
Thanks. I know. I only went to half spec because for all we know, that 105 in/lb spec could be for initial installation. In other words, you install it with 105 in/lb initially and that already takes into account that, over time, the seals will give some and the heat cycles will loosen it up. We don't know for sure that it's a "good thing" to retorque to that same spec.

Mike

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Thanks. I know. I only went to half spec because for all we know, that 105 in/lb spec could be for initial installation. In other words, you install it with 105 in/lb initially and that already takes into account that, over time, the seals will give some and the heat cycles will loosen it up. We don't know for sure that it's a "good thing" to retorque to that same spec.

Mike
I can tell you that from the improved idle, cold start and smoother power delivery that it is for sure a good thing.

8-10 inch pounds is about hand tight IIRC. I just cant believe that its supposed to be like that.

As an ex Army mechanic I have never seen or heard of a torque setting being only for initial installation. Granted, we were not master mechanics, it just doesnt make sense that the torque rating is 105inlbs yet everyones is different.

The fact that everyone is reporting smoother idle and start up tells me thats exactly what the torque is supposed to be.

I am going to put some loctite on mine this weekend to see if it will actually hold the torque.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I can tell you that from the improved idle, cold start and smoother power delivery that it is for sure a good thing.

8-10 inch pounds is about hand tight IIRC. I just cant believe that its supposed to be like that.

As an ex Army mechanic I have never seen or heard of a torque setting being only for initial installation. Granted, we were not master mechanics, it just doesnt make sense that the torque rating is 105inlbs yet everyones is different.

The fact that everyone is reporting smoother idle and start up tells me thats exactly what the torque is supposed to be.

I am going to put some loctite on mine this weekend to see if it will actually hold the torque.
Yeah, I've turned a lot of wrenches in my time but I'm certainly no mechanic, much less a "master" so let us know how you do with the loctite. I'm keeping my eye on this but since it's so easy to do, I feel good having just torqued it down a bit. It did help my 2015 get rid of a slight surging on light throttle when cold so if it turns out the consensus is we should be retorquing them and they don't just keep loosening back up over time, I can go the full spec. For now, I'm just happy they are more than finger tight which is about all they were!

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts