Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Noticing a good amount of oil puddling from what i assume is the intake manifold gaskets. A little stumble at idle as well. Cleaned my throttle body a few weeks ago and noticed a good amount of gunk behind it, and now this.

I have been reading that some people stray from the Mopar gasket and use the Cometics brand?

Im at 80k miles and the Mopar gaskets seemed to hold up, however if there is a better option while im doing this whole job i would love to upgrade.

Any suggestions on gaskets?
Also, any suggestions on good spark plugs to use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
What you are seeing is normal. The intake manifold bolts loosen over time and need torque checked after every oil change. I believe it is 115 inch lbs on these bolts in a crisscross counterclockwise pattern starting at the driver side center bolt.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you are seeing is normal. The intake manifold bolts loosen over time and need torque checked after every oil change. I believe it is 115 inch lbs on these bolts in a crisscross counterclockwise pattern starting at the driver side center bolt.

Thanks.

I did that about 5k miles ago. To my surprise they were at under 30in/lb so i went up with a torque wrench in the proper sequence.

This process this make the car feel smoother running, however we still have a leak. I am afraid the gaskets are shot

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,613 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I haven't seen an aftermarket gasket set for these, but doesn't mean they are not out there. I would stick with the Mopar seals myself. I would recommend port matching the intake since you will have take it off to replace the seals.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't seen an aftermarket gasket set for these, but doesn't mean they are not out there. I would stick with the Mopar seals myself. I would recommend port matching the intake since you will have take it off to replace the seals.

Yeah OEM unless i find otherwise....
I think shophemi has their “upgrade” gaskets but idk.

I am totally down to port match the intake, maybe even remove some casting material. What do you think just a dremel/sander ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah OEM unless i find otherwise....
I think shophemi has their “upgrade” gaskets but idk.

I am totally down to port match the intake, maybe even remove some casting material. What do you think just a dremel/sander ?
You can do it with a dremel, but I would recommend a die grinder and the Harbor Freight sanding cone set to make it easier on you. Takes a couple hours to clean up the intake with this set.

Reactions: trippytro

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Oem suck. The actual sealing area is a thin thin pc of rubber. Get the cometics and move one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
My 2013 R/T...the idle will fall down some quite a bit when I am at a light or whatever. Maybe it's the intake bolts? I take it to the dealership for oil changes...couldn't I just ask them to check the torque on the manifold bolts while they have it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts