Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Challenger RT and the mount to my air box is cracked but still secure. I could put a cold air intake in, but kinda thinking I should just leave the box, throw in the K&N filter i just bought and find the 2011 Charger intake tube without the resonator. Is that a good route to go? Do I leave everything as is and put the new filter in? Do I upgrade to a volant intake? What would you do?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
Personally I would not run a K&N oiled Filter, I run an AEM Dry filter. It is washable and reusable like a K & N. I also run the Charger intake, keep in mind I have a 2015 R/T and I also run the hellcat bottom box and air catcher tube, so I really have no need for a CAI. If the box needs replaced I would go OEM as I am not a fan of CAIs The OEM unit pulls from the front of the car (Through the bottom) and locates the filter in an easy accessible place, it is sealed from the engine compartment, so it does not suck in 200+ degree air. Just my $0.02

·
Banned
429 Posts
I have personally ran oil KN oil filters for years on multiple cars and never ever once had any issues with the oil messing up my sensor or anything of that nature, but I also never Over oil or over spray the Filter, I think people tend to soak the filter in oil, it’s the excess that perhaps causes problems. I only spray it one maybe twice to get that pink color not red, Most people want it red causing to over oil the filter, but even the instructions say until you get a pink consistent color. So far so good 2 spray coats of oil maybe 3 depending how heavy you went on the 2 coats you can spot check with a 3rd spray coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,521 Posts
I had a 2010 R/T for 10 years and installed a CAI within weeks. There is no power difference, maybe a little more sound at best. Unless you want a CAI for looks stay with the stock box. Add your choice of high flow filter, and the smooth Charger tube.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Based on this feedback, I'm either going to keep my semi broken box and replace the filter and tube or try and find a previously loved box and still replace the fter and tube.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,521 Posts
Thanks guys! Based on this feedback, I'm either going to keep my semi broken box and replace the filter and tube or try and find a previously loved box and still replace the fter and tube.
I knew I should've kept mine. Tossed it a few months ago when traded cars. Would have give it to you for cost of shipping. Can you stuff the crack with sandpaper and JB Weld it?

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The crack isn't in the box itself. It the mounting bracket that is cracked so the box wiggles a little, but still fully functional. Likely will leave it and just put a new filter in with a charger tube. I wonder why we have the silencer on ours in the 1st place. Not sure i buy all those harmonic claims i read about... but then again, I know nothing about harmonics or intakes or anything that goes into those designs.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,521 Posts
The crack isn't in the box itself. It the mounting bracket that is cracked so the box wiggles a little, but still fully functional. Likely will leave it and just put a new filter in with a charger tube. I wonder why we have the silencer on ours in the 1st place. Not sure i buy all those harmonic claims i read about... but then again, I know nothing about harmonics or intakes or anything that goes into those designs.
They removed the silencer on later Challengers so it can't do much if anything.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know! So 2011 charger intake tube it is!

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every site I go to says the charger intake (4861940AC) will not fit my car. Can anyone confirm that it will?

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,521 Posts
It will work fine.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T M6
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you sir!

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
105 Posts
Hi everyone! Just wanted to check my understanding on this topic since I'm still trying to research and learn from some more experienced enthusiasts.
It seems based on this discussion, as an FNG I probably won't see a lot of return on my investment with one of these, does my situation change from the OP if I say I have a 2020 model year GT?
The other question I have (aesthetics aside) is: Why would I want to invest in a cold air intake?
It seems like some folks say "no there aren't any HP gains" and then of course marketing says "look at all the HP you can have!"
How do I sort the marketing fluff from empirical results without buying it, installing and testing myself?

105 Posts
Follow up: Frank Julian's response says that he runs the hellcat intake box with the air tube. Is it reasonable to assume a similar setup would be compatible here? Provided I can remove the "light" cover on the grill.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
Most buy for the bling. Some buy because they buy into the manufacturers claims. Many choose the Hellcat mod as it's a proven OEM option. You can do the Hellcat mod with a Hellcat air box bottom and a tube for 2019+ on your GT

68322216AA 2019+ intake tube

I went bling...but also a lifetime cone filter with more filter area

But yeah, bling :)

A Guy

105 Posts
Appreciate the input! I found the hellcat box on American muscle, but it's backordered for now. It looks pretty straightforward as far an install goes. One thing I'm curious about is the opening in the false headlight where the intake tube attaches. Since that's directly facing forward is there any concern about things like bugs or debris going through? I mean I suppose that's what the filter inside is for but it was just something that struck me as odd.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Appreciate the input! I found the hellcat box on American muscle, but it's backordered for now. It looks pretty straightforward as far an install goes. One thing I'm curious about is the opening in the false headlight where the intake tube attaches. Since that's directly facing forward is there any concern about things like bugs or debris going through? I mean I suppose that's what the filter inside is for but it was just something that struck me as odd.
I have left mine open but if you are concerned you can always add screens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
The hole goes into the air box under the filter. Should anything get in, it will fall down to the fender opening at the bottom, but you can also put screens, DIPs, Scalia, etc. if you wish. I have never seen anyone have an issue...well, one picture, but it was a fluke I'm sure

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
The hole goes into the air box under the filter. Should anything get in, it will fall down to the fender opening at the bottom, but you can also put screens, DIPs, Scalia, etc. if you wish. I have never seen anyone have an issue...well, one picture, but it was a fluke I'm sure

View attachment 996902

A Guy
Cat ate Bird

1 - 20 of 21 Posts