Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the silencer on a 14 shaker intake? Is the intake tube the same as a non shaker so a charger intake can be used?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I do not know this for a fact, but I believe that the "silencer" is actually a resonator and it helps dampen intake air pulses, it likely increases low end torque. Removing it may make your car somewhat louder and somewhat slower.
Chrysler put it there for a reason.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
I do not know this for a fact, but I believe that the "silencer" is actually a resonator and it helps dampen intake air pulses, it likely increases low end torque. Removing it may make your car somewhat louder and somewhat slower.
This is probably what you're thinking of as I've seen it referenced before.

What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do? | eHow

Question is, why is it only there on R/T Challengers and not SRT8s or the Charger? Doesn't make sense that it would be for anything other than being required for some stupid govt sound level regulation. If it were for power then you'd think they'd all come with one. I have no complaints about power/torque with my car running the Charger tube.

Interestingly, I found this on Honda's site for the Fit. Apparently they need all the help they can get in terms of torque. ;)

• Composite intake manifold with integrated torque-enhancing resonator chamber NEW

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
I figured they put it on the challenger to give owners a good reason to buy the mopar CAI and see a valid benefit

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2016 RT plus A8 with the Super Trak Pack. I have gone back and forth between the stock intake tube with the resonator and the Charger tube. I have done the Hellcat lower box and running light center removal.

What i noticed is much more sound (very nice) with the Charger intake tube. What i also noticed is the car lost low end torque and throttle response at low rpm upon first impression but thought maybe it was psychological. I also had recorded much better 0-60 times before the swap between 5sec flat and 5.3 for multiple runs with the stock tube.

It was harder for me over two weeks to get in the low 5 sec range with the Charger tube. Intake temps and conditions were fairly consistent as were the location of my runs.

Tonight after driving with the Charger tube for a few weeks i took a drive with some WOT launchs with traction control totally disabled and then put the stock tube with resonator back on and wow there is no mistaking the difference to me. Much better torque in the low end with the stock tube.

I love the sound of the Charger tube but i am not sure it will go back on. I may test one more time but my gut is that i lost a little performance and only gained a throaty sound.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Interesting discussion.

Wonder if anyone here has done some dyno runs with both intake tube?

Thanks for starting this thread.

:guiness::guiness::guiness:

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,294 Posts
i did not do any dyno pulls but i'm with dailyb5.the only reason i put a charger tube on was that silencer was right where i wanted my catch can.i read something about the silencer had more of a purpose than just making the tone of the exhaust lower

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just picked up a Charger intake tube for $20 and installed it last night.

First off: The Air Inlet Temp Sensor is a PITA, you basically have to break the clip to remove it from the stock plastic housing. Then it simply pushes into the Charger intake (as it's just a rubber bung). I was a little sketched out on that.

Second: I was able to get about 2 mpg bump under normal driving! With the resonator tube, I would average about 19-20 on my 30 mile trip to work, today, I got 22.3.

Third: I noticed smoother acceleration in-town, but a definite loss of initial grunt. 2nd gear, 1700rpm, I could mat it and be pinned to my seat with the stock tube, now it is slightly less dramatic.

Lastly: It's no louder than stock, at least not to me.

All-in-all, I'm keeping it, just because of where I'm going to mount my catch can, and I'm taking the bump in MPG as a bonus. I'll continue to monitor my findings as I drive with it. After a couple weeks, I'll swap back to the stock intake and see if I can't find any butt-dyno difference.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
I asked a Dodge engineer about this same intake resonator at Springfest 2 years ago. He stated it was because the intake was a few decibels too loud for the EPA regulations, and the resonator took it down to an acceptable level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I 100% agree that it was a shade louder with the Charger intake tube with no resonator.

I am bummed that i felt the difference in the low end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts