Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R/T Challenger
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this May sounds like a really stupid question, but my girlfriends 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee has paddle shifters (That she never uses) and my 2017 R/T Challenger doesn’t. Is it possible to switch the paddle shifters from her Jeep to my Challenger? I noticed on my steering wheel there is a spot for them that just has a plastic tab covering where they should go. Thank you in advance for any help!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
Same part #s. The SRT paddles are bigger, but only the exposed paddle part, the attachment/connections would be the same

This guy used a Tazer, if you don't, you'll have to go to the dealer to enable the paddles. Not sure, but a AlphaOBD may also do it @ChallyTatum may know for sure

A Guy

Reactions: Jon_Spurg

·
Registered
2017 R/T Challenger
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same part #s. The SRT paddles are bigger, but only the exposed paddle part, the attachment/connections would be the same

This guy used a Tazer, if you don't, you'll have to go to the dealer to enable the paddles. Not sure, but a AlphaOBD may also do it @ChallyTatum may know for sure

A Guy
Well that’s just it. It’s just a 2016 GJC Laredo edition, not even an SRT. But it sounds like they are gonna work even so, right?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
Both SRT and regular will work, just the SRT are longer, he installs the SRT paddle shifters in that video. Your wifes paddles (not a phrase I'd used before :) ) will fit. I don't think them being removed from her Jeep would cause any issues, but don't quote me on that. The covers on your Challenger will replace the paddle shifters in hers, and the paddle shifters will take their place in yours

A Guy

·
Registered
2017 R/T Challenger
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both SRT and regular will work, just the SRT are longer, he installs the SRT paddle shifters in that video. Your wifes paddles (not a phrase I'd used before :) ) will fit. I don't think them being removed from her Jeep would cause any issues, but don't quote me on that. The covers on your Challenger will replace the paddle shifters in hers, and the paddle shifters will take their place in yours

A Guy
Sounds like an easy swap! Now my only concern is getting them enabled. Thank you so much for your help!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
Let us know how you make out ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2017 R/T Challenger
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let us know how you make out ;)

A Guy
Well I called my local stealership today just to price the shifter module in the event I didn't take them off my girlfriends GJC and they tried to tell me that "Without purchasing the correct transmission ECU, Steering Wheel module, and clock spring" that I "wouldn't be able to just add the shifter module to my car" and quoted me $105 for the right module and $125 for the left one. So I guess its safe to assume the dealership isnt an option to enable the paddle shifter option. Any ideas why they fed me all that bologna when the video you linked clearly shows otherwise?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
I suspect they really don't know it can be done...OR they just don't want to do it. I've seen many a post where the dealer didn't know how to turn on DRLs, etc. and they were only able to with info from this forum

Hoping @ChallyTatum can chime on on doing it with AlphaOBD

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,778 Posts
Alfaobd (works on FCA vehicles) does have a configuration that allows one to enable/disable paddle shifters but since I have a manual that's about all I know. It may take other modules to get it working if the car did not come equipped with them. A different clockspring makes sense since there might be more wires needed for connectivity. A different TCM..not sure...but a search on mopar parts sites might reveal more info as usually the modules are listed per sales codes.
Text Font Line

For example, here are the steering modules (don't think you can just buy the clockspring) and as you can see they are several based on sales codes (there was a list of what the codes mean floating around here).

·
Registered
2017 R/T Challenger
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suspect they really don't know it can be done...OR they just don't want to do it. I've seen many a post where the dealer didn't know how to turn on DRLs, etc. and they were only able to with info from this forum

Hoping @ChallyTatum can chime on on doing it with AlphaOBD

A Guy
That's what im thinking and hoping, the lady didn't seem too knowledgeable, but she was just repeating what I could hear someone else telling her. At this point i think my best bet is to just buy the Tazer to accomplish what im wanting.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
As far as I have seen, people just add the paddles and turn them on

A Guy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts