Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get a louder exhaust on my 2016 SXT. Currently all I've done is drilled 3 big holes on each side of the exhaust pipes, right after the mid mufflers. It's pretty loud up to about 3.5k rpm, after that the air flows through and sounds stock past about 4k. I was thinking of a mid muffler delete, but from all the videos I've seen, it doesn't seem to add too much sound. I also wanted to do just a muffler delete, but again I'm not sure about how it'll sound with the holes. What I want to do is just plug up the holes and just go for a straight pipe, after the cats. (So resonators and muffler straight pipe.) Anyone done this? Thoughts?

Also, side question: through the forums and videos, I've seen a lot of people call the mid mufflers, the actual mufflers, and the ones closest to the exhaust tips are the resonators. I've always thought the mufflers were the bigger ones connected to the exhaust tips, and the resonators are in the middle of the car. What's the deal with that?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,871 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk CellarDoor. On Challengers the mufflers are in the middle, and the resonators are near the tailpipes. As for straight pipe...our V6's just don't sound that great, the best we can do is manage that with the exhaust. Just pipe will likely not bring a sound you'll like. If you just want loud, it will get louder. It will also drone. Hey, get some cutouts, you can then open them when you want loud, and close them when you want bearable :D

A Guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any recommendations on cutouts? Do I need two cutouts since there are two pipes? What would I go about looking for those? And where would I install them in the cat back?

Also, do you mean straight pipe the whole thing and then put on cutouts?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,871 Posts
The cutouts go before the mufflers, after the cats. I'm not an expert on cutouts, and was just spitballing. It would let you have some peace and quiet when you want, and still scare the neighbors if you need to ;)

Generally yes, cutouts in each exhaust pipe. It's probably not a cheap alternative if that's the way you're headed. But I don't think you'd like just straight pipes all the time.

A Guy

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I had the same dilemma and resolved it by trading in my sxt for an rt then added a performance cat back. Happy ever since.
This is funny because when I had my mufflers replaced and my resonators removed, I called them first and then went down with the parts. Before he looked at my car, the owner said, "Everyone wants their V6 to sound like a V8 and they don't understand that won't happen. I hope you are not expecting it to." I said, "Well if you can't make my Hemi sound like a V8 then I better go somewhere else." :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMHO these sound great for a V6. I dont have a Hemi and know it won't ever sound like one. I bought some quad tips in the for sale forum and was thinking about Flowmasters but I may just go the straight pipe route this week. I'm sure once they get some mileage on them they'll sound even better ?

Welcome to Challengertalk CellarDoor. On Challengers the mufflers are in the middle, and the resonators are near the tailpipes. As for straight pipe...our V6's just don't sound that great, the best we can do is manage that with the exhaust. Just pipe will likely not bring a sound you'll like. If you just want loud, it will get louder. It will also drone. Hey, get some cutouts, you can then open them when you want loud, and close them when you want bearable

A Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts