Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this and thought that it was interesting and thought that I'd share it with you Guys................

The Big Fuel Test: Meth Injection Adds 42 RWHP With Proper Tuning

I understand that GM's are more receptive to mods, which might make a difference in the 42 rwhp result, but it does have some good info in it though.

The other question is: Was it the meth or the tuning that got the extra 42 rwhp?

Food for thought!

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
I read this and thought that it was interesting and thought that I'd share it with you Guys................

The Big Fuel Test: Meth Injection Adds 42 RWHP With Proper Tuning

I understand that GM's are more receptive to mods, which might make a difference in the 42 rwhp result, but it does have some good info in it though.

The other question is: Was it the meth or the tuning that got the extra 42 rwhp?

Food for thought!
It's the combination. If you have a proper tune (correct AFRs and no knock) simply adding meth/water will not increase power. You will now be rich.
Proper use of meth/water is only using enough that your AFRs richen by around .5 to .7 max. Gas/Air will always make more power than Meth/Water so you don't want to displace your good stuff with the meth/water by too much.

Also, you want to be careful in the lower RPMs because the meth/water tends to bog down the motor. I have tested purging my meth in the staging lanes to see if it would help cool things down but nope.. stalled me. lol

Now, once you have the right amount of meth coming in at each boost level, you are now hitting race fuel octane levels so you can slowly begin bumping up the timing. This is where you start to really see the HP levels climb. Alternatively, you can drop a pulley and bump up the boost levels. Again, most people see at 14-20 hp bump in power per psi of boost so again, either the boost or timing bump, allowed by the meth, is what gives you the power.

I use a progressive controller and I have experimented with different ramps and set them all up in Excel to monitor the amount of mix I'm spraying at each psi of boost. I currently use a higher nozzle than needed but I set up the 100% to be several psi higher than what I actually achieve from a boost perspective. What this does is give me a little room to grow since boost goes up a little on colder evenings.

Just sharing my experience in tuning a Whipple and ProCharger on meth. Hope it helps

·
Registered
101 Posts
My old '87 mustang with 20# of boost picked up 90hp with 50% water- meth mixture on 93 octane. We were able to add more timing and take out fuel

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the combination. If you have a proper tune (correct AFRs and no knock) simply adding meth/water will not increase power. You will now be rich.
Proper use of meth/water is only using enough that your AFRs richen by around .5 to .7 max. Gas/Air will always make more power than Meth/Water so you don't want to displace your good stuff with the meth/water by too much.

Also, you want to be careful in the lower RPMs because the meth/water tends to bog down the motor. I have tested purging my meth in the staging lanes to see if it would help cool things down but nope.. stalled me. lol

Now, once you have the right amount of meth coming in at each boost level, you are now hitting race fuel octane levels so you can slowly begin bumping up the timing. This is where you start to really see the HP levels climb. Alternatively, you can drop a pulley and bump up the boost levels. Again, most people see at 14-20 hp bump in power per psi of boost so again, either the boost or timing bump, allowed by the meth, is what gives you the power.

I use a progressive controller and I have experimented with different ramps and set them all up in Excel to monitor the amount of mix I'm spraying at each psi of boost. I currently use a higher nozzle than needed but I set up the 100% to be several psi higher than what I actually achieve from a boost perspective. What this does is give me a little room to grow since boost goes up a little on colder evenings.

Just sharing my experience in tuning a Whipple and ProCharger on meth. Hope it helps
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Pector! :cheers:

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Pector! :cheers:
No prob man. I figure that even if I'm wrong, I'll share my experience in case it helps people with testing and tuning their setups. lol

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No prob man. I figure that even if I'm wrong, I'll share my experience in case it helps people with testing and tuning their setups. lol
Your experience is trial and error and sometimes that's the best kind because it could prevent someone from having the same problems that you've gone through.

You know enough about tuning though that even your guesses make sense. They might not always be right, but sometimes food for thought is good because it gives a direction and also is a start to a brain storming session.

I have a couple of good friends who are probably some of the best GM tuners in the nation that I could bug when I was tuning my Vette and they wouldn't always give me the answer, but point me in the right direction to help me figure things out for myself. It's kind of like the "Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish" scenario. If I got stumped, they'd just tell me what to do (probably to get me to stop bugging them :D).

I Appreciate that because it helped me to learn what I needed to know (and I still have ALOT to learn when it comes to tuning).

Your posts provoke thought for me and I both like and appreciate that.........Thanks again! :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,803 Posts
Hold on...you wanted to tune your engine, and they wanted to teach you to fish?? Some friends! >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hold on...you wanted to tune your engine, and they wanted to teach you to fish?? Some friends! >:)

A Guy
LOL........You must've gotten that job at your local comedy club and you're trying out your new material here! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts