Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, well i was getting a few strange knocks in my drive line. this seem to start soon after i installed a complete rear suspension bushing kit in to eliminate extreme wheel -hop i was getting (energy suspension and cradle mounts) it took care of 95% of hop ! and the rear end feels so planted. so i went under to check on the drive shaft and i felt some play in the spline joint. so i picked up a great aftermarket shaft made right here in USA,complete with both rubber end couplers OE made in germany and a solid spicer u-joint along with a center carrier bearing.all complete and shipped for $518.
well in the process of installing the shaft i had to drop the exhaust.i disconnected it from the mid pipes.after i took it down i noticed that the ends of the mids were beveled smaller then the tube size pretty extreme.so i measured the I.D. and it was 2 1/8 ? go figure. ease of installation ?? i smoother transition to center pipes ?? well i cut them off ! haha .(see pics) after i cut them off i ,i cleaned up the mid pip ends and re measured the openings and low and behold they were now 2 3/8 . it does not sound like much but the circumference was much more and a signifcant amount of more flow.

exhaust flow to HP calculation
original size exhaust opening = (2. 1/8) 2.125 x 2 (2 )pipes MAX HP = 369 BHP
after removing the beveled restriction = (2 3/8) 2.375 x 2 pipes = MAX HP = 461 BHP

thats a huge jump in what the stock mids can NOW handle because that was the smallest diameter going forward all the way up to the manifold outlets which are much larger as well as the cat inlets .since im putting in a 6.4 cam getting rid of my exhaust manifolds and switching to BBK shorties my mids should be fine the rest of the system back is very free flowing the center pipes are big enough (2.3/8 I.D.)
very interest ,please chime in . thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Have you completed this modification, along with Dyno results for before and after. I'm curious to hear what the numbers reveal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts