Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today about the difference between the new T/A intake kit you can add to a SRT or the Hellcat airbox mod.
I would think the T/A setup would work better due to bigger opening to get more air in then the small opening in the headlight?
Any thoughts? And also water getting into the intake from both systems. I know washing my SRT I get water on the engine not a huge amount but still gets in there. I know the amount of water would be minimal when driving in a rain for both systems but was just curious about both systems. The T/A is stupid expensive for my taste but still is cool. Still kicking around the hellcat air box mod as well. The tube from headlight to box is more then the box????? Sorry I think about my baby regularly she is my second wive. Or as my wife says my mistress.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The T/A Air Grabber intake is basically the Hellcat box plus the snorkel from the hood scoop. Biggest difference is you get the conical air filter on the T/A Air Grabber and flat filter on the Cat box. Air not only comes from the scoop and headlight port but wheel well too. Tons of sealed outside air entering the intake with that setup. Typical highway driving shows around a 6-8 degree rise in intake temps from outside so is pretty good IMO. How much you want to pay is personal but I just love the function and it's a MOPAR factory kit so worth it to me. I wouldn't worry about water. Any that may get in there drains out fine. Installed myself and took my time in about 90 minuites.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The T/A Air Grabber intake is basically the Hellcat box plus the snorkel from the hood scoop. Biggest difference is you get the conical air filter on the T/A Air Grabber and flat filter on the Cat box. Air not only comes from the scoop and headlight port but wheel well too. Tons of sealed outside air entering the intake with that setup. Typical highway driving shows around a 6-8 degree rise in intake temps from outside so is pretty good IMO. How much you want to pay is personal but I just love the function and it's a MOPAR factory kit so worth it to me. I wouldn't worry about water. Any that may get in there drains out fine. Installed myself and took my time in about 90 minuites.
I understand what your saying. I guess my question is: would the T/A system be better then the Hellcat one, meaning air volume. My take is T/A system has bigger opening but would the turbulence defeat the purpose? Air coming in making a sharp turn going through filter then air tube to throttle body, hellcat seems like a more of a direct shot but smaller intake opening.
I'm just curious I think both are pretty cool kits.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
The Hellcat and the T/A are the same going into the headlight. The T/A has the additional intake from the hood, but both also draw air from inside the engine bay as well.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Having replaced the stock SRT 392 with the TA intake, I can say the only benefit I expected was a reduction in IAT while cruising. Probably only beneficial on a road course. I can say I haven't seen the reduction in temperatures that I was hoping for. Comparing these intakes on a dyno doesn't really do anything because the airflow through the hood doesn't come into play.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I understand what your saying. I guess my question is: would the T/A system be better then the Hellcat one, meaning air volume. My take is T/A system has bigger opening but would the turbulence defeat the purpose? Air coming in making a sharp turn going through filter then air tube to throttle body, hellcat seems like a more of a direct shot but smaller intake opening.
I'm just curious I think both are pretty cool kits.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Better? You're pretty much overthinking this.

Think about it, the HC intake is enough to feed the supercharged engine in the Hellcat. Do you really think the T/A intake is going to be leaps and bounds better? Don't you think they would have that on the Hellcat if it were?

The engines can only take in what they can handle through the filter, TB, intake, valves, etc. Just because you put more air into the compartment doesn't mean more makes it into the engine. It's limited. There's plenty of air in there for the engine no matter what way you go.

Go with whichever you like better. There will be little, if any, noticeable difference between them in typical driving.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Better? You're pretty much overthinking this.

Think about it, the HC intake is enough to feed the supercharged engine in the Hellcat. Do you really think the T/A intake is going to be leaps and bounds better? Don't you think they would have that on the Hellcat if it were?

The engines can only take in what they can handle through the filter, TB, intake, valves, etc. Just because you put more air into the compartment doesn't mean more makes it into the engine. It's limited. There's plenty of air in there for the engine no matter what way you go.

Go with whichever you like better. There will be little, if any, noticeable difference between them in typical driving.
Thank you for that voice of reason! Very well said! :smile:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had the Hellcat air box on my Scat Pack and now have a T/A 392. There is no advantage to any of these systems and no power to be gained. Don't over think it.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
On my stock Scat Pack airbox I?m seeing temps around 5-7* over ambient when cruising on the highway. Haven?t monitored it in low speed traffic yet.

If there is no pressure drop through the filter assembly and temps are within a few degrees od ambient - there is not any performance to gain from a different air cleaner setup.

I will probably test with a manometer before I seriously consider changing anything.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,870 Posts
If you have a 392, won't your Man o meter already read high? >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was thinking today about the difference between the new T/A intake kit you can add to a SRT or the Hellcat airbox mod.
I would think the T/A setup would work better due to bigger opening to get more air in then the small opening in the headlight?
Any thoughts? And also water getting into the intake from both systems. I know washing my SRT I get water on the engine not a huge amount but still gets in there. I know the amount of water would be minimal when driving in a rain for both systems but was just curious about both systems. The T/A is stupid expensive for my taste but still is cool. Still kicking around the hellcat air box mod as well. The tube from headlight to box is more then the box????? Sorry I think about my baby regularly she is my second wive. Or as my wife says my mistress.
Take it to your local muffler shop. Knock off the resonators and install glass packs. $200 and sounds like old school muscle car. What a waste of cash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts