Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The interior pull handles (yes, both of them) on my challenger are peeling & chipping away. Anyone else seen this? I know I can buy the whole assembly piece but I'd rather not. Anybody got ideas on how to fix this?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
the hydrographic coating is wearing off (this is the pattern over the base material)

the door pulls can be replaced - others have swapped to get the SRT style or the silver color versions that turned up on later SRT style that were a plain silver pull.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sorry to hear of your trouble. An option to fix it in-place might be to remove the rest of the coating, prime & paint it with a plastic specific paint. Then clear coat as well. You might also consider wrapping it after the paint with a clear bra type material. Lastly, be very careful if you wear any jewelry, particularly rings as I would assume they would most definitely contribute to scratching/chipping.

Best of luck..

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the hydrographic coating is wearing off (this is the pattern over the base material)

the door pulls can be replaced - others have swapped to get the SRT style or the silver color versions that turned up on later SRT style that were a plain silver pull.
Thanks Hal. Any suggestions on where I might check those out? I saw a posting when I was researching this problem but it was a bit pricey.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. An option to fix it in-place might be to remove the rest of the coating, prime & paint it with a plastic specific paint. Then clear coat as well. You might also consider wrapping it after the paint with a clear bra type material. Lastly, be very careful if you wear any jewelry, particularly rings as I would assume they would most definitely contribute to scratching/chipping.

Best of luck..
Yeah that is what I was thinking but it seems like the middle is only coming off easily so I stopped pulling it off for now. The ring theory makes sense on the driver side, but my wife is the only person who sits in the passenger seat and only wears rings on her left hand. I guess it's just crappy material. I was hoping this was a more common issue where people could suggest some kind of material to wrap around it and avoid painting it.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
Thanks Hal. Any suggestions on where I might check those out? I saw a posting when I was researching this problem but it was a bit pricey.
Trim parts aren't cheap - I looked online and those list for for $115 / side and Steve White (supporting vendor) has them for $81. Whether its SXT, R/T trim or SRT versions, they run the same price.

The earlier years '08 - '10 seem to be a different material and not the hydrographic like the '11+ began to use on the SXT & R/T trims. The pattern is different (micro carbon fiber) for the R/T version and in those years, the SE '09/'10 were plain silver.

The SRT versions had a simulated carbon fiber texture on the '08-'10 door pulls.

I don't recall anyone have issues with wear on the pre '11 door pulls.

·
Registered
205 Posts
my drivers side handle broke off one day. had to roll down the window everytime I wanted to open the door
replaced under warranty. dumb design its just plastic painted to look like metal looks like aluminum but its not.
good luck

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wanted to share what I ended up doing. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money to replace these door handles, so I got to thinking about it and purchase the "wrap" material for tennis rackets/baseball bats etc. It doesn't look super fantastic, but it looks a hell of a lot better than the cracking material, and this will stay for many years to come....at a whopping $12 (12 pack and I only used 2 per handle).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts