Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the new InTune for 11/12 DCX products. My car is a 2012 Challenger, SRT, 392, Auto. The only mod is a Mopar CAI.

I loaded the tuner, no issues, other than a driver glitch with my home computer. No worries there. I loaded the Diablo tune (93 oct.), adjusted the throttle to +10% and turned off MDS. After I loaded the tune, I noticed the high speed fan running and running all the time. The engine temps hovered anywhere from 200 to 210 with the HS fan running. I did not adjust ANY cooling parameters in the tuner and I am NOT running a 180 degree T-stat. But, yet the high speed fan came on and stayed on. The car ran great otherwise.

Today, I went back to stock and restored the OEM tune back -- car is going into the dealer on Monday. While driving around today, the high speed fan never kicked in. Temps ranged anywhere from 200 to 215. Other than MDS kicking in, the car ran great -- and I spanked some dude in a Honda...

About two weeks ago I talked with a Diablo tech. I described the above fan operations to him and he advised that the tunes themselves do nothing, on their own, or make adjustments to the coolant fan settings (temp turn-on) unless the user rmakes an adjustment. I advised that I made no adjustments, yet the high speed fan still engages -- weird?

My questions are:

1. Can disengaging MDS cause the engine to run soemwhat hotter, thereby invoking the high speed fan operration?

2. Am I missing something, like, a need to adjust a fan temp setting even though I haven't swapped T-stats?

3. Anybody else notice or observe what I described above?

I'm confused and any help or input is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found the answer to my questions. I went to Diablo's website and browsed their forum pages. They have a page dedicated to the In Tune DCX. Apparently, I'm not the only one expereincing the cooling fan running issue. According to a response posted by a Diablo rep, the performance tunes are modified to optimize for betting cooling. Result: cooling fans run...A suggestion was made by a thread responder to go into the "modify stock tune" and document the stock cooling fan settings. Then load and modify the performance tune to refelct the stock fan settings. And the tunes are written to work with the stock T-stat. Seems simple enough...

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
That's exactly right.
The "performance tune" has the fans coming on earlier.
If you don't add a 180 degree thermostat too they'll run pretty constantly. That may or may not cause issues down the road with fan motor longevity.
You can either install a 180 thermostat, or modify the parameters to turn on the fans at a higher temp.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's exactly right.
The "performance tune" has the fans coming on earlier.
If you don't add a 180 degree thermostat too they'll run pretty constantly. That may or may not cause issues down the road with fan motor longevity.
You can either install a 180 thermostat, or modify the parameters to turn on the fans at a higher temp.
Thanks. Right now, I'm straying with the stock T-stat and will adjust the settings. I too was concerned with long term fan motor issues as I am not sure how rugged Chrysler may have designed the motor, especially for operations at duty cycles that may be higher than intended.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts