Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done an iPad in-dash set up... (using your iPad as a multimedia receiver)?

I've seen it in a couple cars... Just wondering about a Challenger

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I haven't seen it done, but it doesn't seem that difficult. The biggest issue would be re routing your AC and esp controls.. (maybe center console?).

I would personally use a different tablet though, Android is a much better system IMO.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i havnt seen it in a challenger yet but it has been done. i know you can find install vids on youtube of a guy who did it in another car. biggest thing will be where are you going to put it. hardwire it in or just a harness to hold it.

and althought i cant pry the ipad out of my wifes hands a smaller tablet might work better as far as install pourposes go.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
This actually got me thinking a lot, this may be something I may go for in late summer. The Samsung will fit no problem either way, but something like the Xoom taking up the whole bezel is more intriguing to me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
im thinkin about an install but not an ipad, galaxy tab 8.9 im hoping will be the right size once its out.

Theres a guy on mp3car.com that put a PC in his challenger.

I also read on lxforums about a 300 with an ipad and the guy, took the face plate off the radio, cut the knobs off so it had less depth and pushed it as far into the dash as possible and put the ipad in front of it.

This way it was wired up through the ipod hook up and all steering wheel controls work for it etc.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
^^ Actually looked into this today, the 8.9 will fit perfect with the right fiberglass work, by the time it comes out I might be able to have funds to do it =D

·
Registered
852 Posts
Would love to see this install!

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I have seen it installed in a couple of Chrysler 300s. One guy actually cut it into the dash just above the glovebox. Ruined the car to me. Now it will always be dated.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have seen it installed in a couple of Chrysler 300s. One guy actually cut it into the dash just above the glovebox. Ruined the car to me. Now it will always be dated.
This is pushing it. I measured everything out, with the tablet facing upwards you can cut out the stock bezel and fit it in there. Remove the Hazards and esp (I have no esp anyways) and lower the AC controls, only thing being modded would be the radio bezel. (Which I have a extra one).

The biggest issue with this project is getting quality sound. I have one of the best processors on the market thankfully, so if I do end up doing this it will help a lot.

·
Registered
2010 SE
229 Posts
Hmm, I'd be interested in this as well. I'd suggest maybe a 7" tablet like the Nook Color both for the fit and the price. But if you're set on 10", grab a Viewsonic G Tablet for cheap and powerful.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I had it all set up to do a mac mini in my car but never got around to it. I don't really like the idea of the ipad, just seems like those things are basically just oversized iphones. There are however a bunch of other tablets that might be cool. How about just fabbing up a cup holder mount/dock? So that its nice and reversable, easy, and leaves you with all your current controls. Face the screen the right way and it could be set up just like the police computers if you can picture that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
just depends on what your using the ipad for. my wife has used it for a year now and hasn't touched her laptop once. for her it does everything she needs it too. so for diffrent people it works and for some it doesnt.

a stalk type mount would work. but there is a diffrence between something just sitting there on a stalk and seeing something integrated to the dash of the car. all the controls that are there now can be moved and relocated and if you build it right you could take it all back to stock down the road if you chose to. some just prefer things integrated versus just sitting there. one is custom. the other is just a best buy attachment.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The 10" is too big I believe, but dimensions won't hurt. I have my old trim piece sitting next to me lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, it's about 1/2" too long. The dimensions are 10 1/8" X 6 7/8". I believe the iPad2 should actually fit width wise since it's about 1/2" shorter.
Here's a pic for reference(sorry camera phone).

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Does the galaxy have gps? My super crappy android phone has gps which has worked great despite the rest of the phone sucking.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It has google maps.

·
Registered
2010 SE
229 Posts
Yes, it's about 1/2" too long. The dimensions are 10 1/8" X 6 7/8". I believe the iPad2 should actually fit width wise since it's about 1/2" shorter.
Here's a pic for reference(sorry camera phone).
Did you get one from Google I/O? :D I sold mine :p

Does the galaxy have gps? My super crappy android phone has gps which has worked great despite the rest of the phone sucking.
They all do (even wi-fi models) :)

It has google maps.
All Android devices do, but not all have GPS :/

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Ok good to know. I love my iPad but I always look at other gadgets too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts