Dodge Challenger Forum banner

iPhone Users - uConnect GPS Nav worth it?

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  OregonScat 
#1 ·
Looking at a new car, not sure if the uConnect GPS Nav is worth it. I am in sales and rely heavily upon Waze, Maps and Google Maps.

#2 ·
Depends.....do you like plugging in your phone every time you get in the car? Cause that's what you have to do with Apple Carplay to use your iPhone's map on the car's display.

I didn't realize this when I got mine a month ago, though nav for me was a "nice to have". I'd never had a car with Apple Carplay before, did a little research and figured that sounded like a nice alternative. Didn't realize Apple CarPlay (not sure about Andriod Auto) ONLY works if you plug in your phone to the USB port! This day and age, how stupid is that?! AFTER I got the car and learned this and did more research and they are just now starting to put "wireless" Apple Carplay in some cars! I believe the 2018 BMW M5 is the very first one to have it! Sheeesh!

So if you actually "need" nav for any reason, i'd probably opt for the 8.4" Uconnect with gps nav myself. I've had my car for a month and used Carplay twice now, cause I HATE having to take my phone out of my pocket, open the center console, plug it in, put the phone in there, close it, then remember to take it out when I leave. First time was to try it out, 2nd time was when I had to go to a part of town I didn't know, that's been it so far.

#3 ·
I also work in sales and travel quite a bit so I am always renting new cars and I try out the Apple Car Play and Android Auto on every car I rent (I have 2 phones). I always try to rent a new FCA vehicle (300, Charger, Challenger, Grand Cherokee) with the 8.4 radio. The Nav is not bad on the newest 8.4, but I typically plug in one of my phone to test the Apple or Android apps. They both have their advantages/disadvantage. Apple maps is not very good. It looks nice, clean but inaccurate and does not seem to be responsive to real-time traffic conditions such as rerouting to avoid jams. However, Apple will allow you to stream the music player of your choice (I like SiriusXM app).
Android Auto uses the Google maps we are all familiar with, usually spot on for accuracy (although sometimes it chooses some roundabout ways), but it is responsive to real time traffic conditions. For example, I was in Austin, heading down I-35 to San Antonio and there was an accident a few miles ahead and Google maps directed me to get off onto the frontage road. I breezed right by then got back on the highway! that was great. However, for music, your choices are limited (no SiriusXM here). Have to use Google Music, or whatever is on your phone.
That said, I like the built in Nav in the car because it's not bad and I don't want to plug in my phone all the time and have to interface with that, especially now that they are clamping down on people using their phones while driving. Keep that in mind too.
BTW, FCA radios have the best Android Auto/Car Play implementation compared to Ford or GM.

#4 ·
for future resale value - get the Nav. It's pretty much a given to have that, much like A/C would be on a modern car.

On the '17+ models, I don't think it can be added on like the '13 - '16 uConnect allowed by purchasing the software key.

Also - you don't use mobile data, don't have to recharge (or plug the phone in) and in areas where cell reception (remote, rural, mountain areas) isn't there. Nav system still works.

And it doesn't require a subscription - uses GPS signal to do its thing.

#5 ·
I would have said before I bought mine that I didnt need regular Nav, but I've had my android auto freeze a few times and it can be a bit of a pain. I don't really mind the whole plugging it in thing though. I do like that with Android auto, it knows when I'm going to work if there is irregular traffic, and its helped me with a detour once that literally saved me from waiting for an accident to clear for over an hour. So my verdict...

Get the Nav, but also understand that Android/apple car play is not perfect.

#6 ·
One other thing to note is if you really like WAZE then you should have an Android. Waze does not work with CarPlay. I have used all three and notice for some reason they all track the same. Waze has limits as well. It will only work within 1000 miles of both starting and ending locations. None of the other maps(Maps, Google Maps, Built in Nav.) have this limitation. Nothing big especially if you never drive more than 1000 miles at a time. I have found on several occasions though this to to limiting. The on board nav also has some cool features I like:
1. Bigger easier to follow roads, lane guidance that is easier to see because of the bigger roads.
2. No Thousand mile limit
3. Easy to read available at exit items(gas stations, eating places, POI's)
4. Easy to add those items to the current course.

Other navs have those same or some of those same features but even with a 6+ running Waze, Maps or Google Maps nothing was as easy to use or update by the driver as the built in nav options. You can even set destination while driving if you use voice commands.
With all that said though I much prefer to use Waze myself and really wish they would allow it on CarPlay but all of these choices work well for me.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.