Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...you don't really ever race; are never going to the track; drive the car as a weekend toy and have no major engine mods? You can see what mods I have in my signature. CAI, exhaust and a Predator are it in terms of performance. Would I stand to gain anything by installing the cooler temp thermostat? I'm sorry if this subject has been beaten to death but this seems like a very common mod and I need to know if I'd just be wasting money with it.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't race either and I don't see it as a waste. It prevents heat soak, car doesn't feel sluggish anymore like it did when it would run at 215-220 degrees in the summer. Besides, you already spent hundreds on your performance mods; I don't see another $20 or 30 as being a 'waste'.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! Is this an easy installation? Anyone care to link an installation video or give some detailed install instructions?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
With MDS delete to come, I take it you have a 5.7? I don't see this in your post. I haven't changed mine but thought whom ever told you how to do it would need that info.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With MDS delete to come, I take it you have a 5.7? I don't see this in your post. I haven't changed mine but thought whom ever told you how to do it would need that info.
Yes, I have the 5.7

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thanks for the responses! Is this an easy installation? Anyone care to link an installation video or give some detailed install instructions?

Thanks again
It's insanely easy, just take off your intake put a plastic bag under the t-stat housing unscrew the two bolts and Yank it off. Then pry out the t-stat and put the new one in the same way, put the housing back on top off the fluid, bleed it from the Allen head thing that I can't remember the name of right now and your golden. Put your intake back on reset your fans and your good to go like a taco bell crunch wrap!

·
Registered
978 Posts
It's a pretty inexpensive mod as was already stated... the only concern I have is whether or not it kills your MPG's or not (as is currently being hottly debated everywhere at the moment)

I've changed my TSTAT on both of my previous SRT8's and was planning on doing the same in the Challenger.

Here is a video I used years back (not made by me) which shows how to change the TSTAT on a Charger R/T, it's the same thing with the Challenger.

PART 1
Thermostat :: Changing the Thermostat (part 1 of 2) video by mnunes1 - Photobucket

PART 2
Thermostat :: Changing the Thermostat (part 2 of 2) video by mnunes1 - Photobucket

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Josh, With a CAI do you have to pull it off? It looks like there's room to leave it on there. The stock air box has a cover over the hose connection but the Mopar CAI doesn't. Just wondering

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Here is My install Post #8

The only problem is you need a $300 tuner to set the fan speeds.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't entirely true. If you install a 180 degree thermostat, your engine will be running at around 180 degrees with highway driving, and you'll only see higher temps of 215-220 (as set by the fan) during city driving. The fan will come on only when the computer tells it to, and if there's enough airflow through the radiator at highway speeds to sufficiently cool the coolant, the thermostat is going to regulate the engine temp, not the fan.

I haven't got a tuner yet, but will be replacing my thermostat in a week or two before the drive up to Bowling Green just to help the engine run cooler on the way up and back. Hope to get a tuner before then, but not waiting to get one before I install the thermostat unless someone here has a good reason not to...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Is it a waste of $$ and/or time? Depends on how you view the issue of engine temps - you don't NEED a 180 t-stat; not having one won't adversely affect performance (it does come with the higher temp t-stat stock and these cars are good in performance to begin with). Likewise if you have one and don't adjust the fan speeds - it won't hurt anything. I put one in to run cooler temps any time I'm in traffic - most agree that "cooler is better" in most cases as it relates to overall performance. Even in the winter months when the outside temps are in the 30s, I've noticed my temps running over 200 if I'm in any traffic (the temp drops quickly once I'm out of it, however). I'm happy with the result. My SRT8 does run about 20 degrees cooler than before the install - especially if I'm in any traffic, and I like that. I've noticed a slight improvement in gas mileage after the install, as well as a very slight improvement in throttle response. Did I need it? No, but I didn't need any of the other mods - I just wanted some enhancements over stock performance, so I installed the 180 t-stat as part of my overall "mod package" as a practical solution in lowering my temps when I'm in traffic. I don't race, go to the track, etc. - just drive it daily, and the 180 t-stat fit in with what I was looking to accomplish in conjunction with my other mods. Its a pretty simple install too - and an under $40 mod (that's only if you go with the JET - others cost less).

·
Registered
864 Posts
Josh, With a CAI do you have to pull it off? It looks like there's room to leave it on there. The stock air box has a cover over the hose connection but the Mopar CAI doesn't. Just wondering
You might not need to if you can get to It with the ol' socket wrench & extension, I had to cause of that stupid silencer box on the stocker.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it a waste of $$ and/or time? Depends on how you view the issue of engine temps - you don't NEED a 180 t-stat; not having one won't adversely affect performance (it does come with the higher temp t-stat stock and these cars are good in performance to begin with). Likewise if you have one and don't adjust the fan speeds - it won't hurt anything. I put one in to run cooler temps any time I'm in traffic - most agree that "cooler is better" in most cases as it relates to overall performance. Even in the winter months when the outside temps are in the 30s, I've noticed my temps running over 200 if I'm in any traffic (the temp drops quickly once I'm out of it, however). I'm happy with the result. My SRT8 does run about 20 degrees cooler than before the install - especially if I'm in any traffic, and I like that. I've noticed a slight improvement in gas mileage after the install, as well as a very slight improvement in throttle response. Did I need it? No, but I didn't need any of the other mods - I just wanted some enhancements over stock performance, so I installed the 180 t-stat as part of my overall "mod package" as a practical solution in lowering my temps when I'm in traffic. I don't race, go to the track, etc. - just drive it daily, and the 180 t-stat fit in with what I was looking to accomplish in conjunction with my other mods. Its a pretty simple install too - and an under $40 mod (that's only if you go with the JET - others cost less).
Very informative, thank you!

Do you think you would've installed it if you drove the car once or twice a month?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Right. It's no use running a 180 themo if you can't change the fan setting. The object is to lower the engine temp so your don't have those hose bursting temps under the hood. You know why they're like this? So they can be driven in a hot climate and turn around and driven in a cold one. Muti purpose and meet emission cert's.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Well if yo go read the referenced links on the lower MPG these guys were running 75 to 80 MPH on the road. At that speed your mileage would suck even with a stock Tstat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts