Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Challenger R/T with Procharger D1 and lately have really been wanting to upgrade to a Hellcat. I just don't know if it's worth it. My car is paid for and it's got a lot of power but its not got Hellcat power of course. I don't daily drive it and I wouldn't daily the Hellcat either. Mine is a 2010 and it has 24k miles. I bought it with 12k miles in 2012 so over 6 years I've put 12k on it. Just curious if others traded up and regretted it or if they thought it was worth it. Not having a payment has been pretty nice and I don't have the cash to make up the difference so I would have to finance the difference if I upgraded to a Hellcat. I'm sure some of you had a similar scenario and I'm curious to know your thoughts after owning the Hellcat. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: elitechallenger

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,000 Posts
Do you like your car a lot? Do you race? If you race I think the hellcat would be worth it. If you like your current car a lot and don't race I would say keep what you have. It is unique and it is yours and paid for.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you like your car a lot? Do you race? If you race I think the hellcat would be worth it. If you like your current car a lot and don't race I would say keep what you have. It is unique and it is yours and paid for.
Yes I really like my car. No I don't race it other than at a redlight every once in a while lol.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I agree with John Matthews, based on how you use it, I say keep your 2010. If you were looking for a supercharged daily driver, then I'd say get the Hellcat. But your car is unique and modified to your tastes. Unfortunately you usually don't get your investment back on mods, unless you happen to find the right buyer who really wants your car as is. But a used car dealer? Not likely. And like you said, not having a payment is great.

If you REALLY want more power, you can further modify your 2010 with the money you'd save by not going to a Hellcat. Forged motor, nitrous, custom builds, whatever. And you don't have a warranty to void.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,992 Posts
I have a 2010 Challenger R/T with Procharger D1 and lately have really been wanting to upgrade to a Hellcat. I just don't know if it's worth it. My car is paid for and it's got a lot of power but its not got Hellcat power of course. I don't daily drive it and I wouldn't daily the Hellcat either. Mine is a 2010 and it has 24k miles. I bought it with 12k miles in 2012 so over 6 years I've put 12k on it. Just curious if others traded up and regretted it or if they thought it was worth it. Not having a payment has been pretty nice and I don't have the cash to make up the difference so I would have to finance the difference if I upgraded to a Hellcat. I'm sure some of you had a similar scenario and I'm curious to know your thoughts after owning the Hellcat. Thanks in advance.
That's a question only you can answer.

There is always a faster car a more desirable car.

The biggest expense to owning a car is depreciation. You will take a hit on depreciation when you sell your current car and given the Hellcat's higher initial purchase price when you go to sell the Hellcat you will take another hit on depreciation. 'course, with 707hp one might expect you would not need to modify the car any and thus a probably low miles stock well maintained Hellcat could have a higher resale value when the time comes.

Your current car is 8 or 9 years old. Low miles. Based on this its trade in value or resale value could be above average, but (big but) the modification will probably be considered a negative and negate any low miles bonus the car might have. The car sells for less and of course the modifications the parts/hardware are "free". 'course, there could be a buyer out there and the car is just what he's looking for. But you require a unicorn buyer and they are rare.

The new Hellcat comes with a new car warranty, and has other features that your older car probably doesn't have. Only you know how much these tip the scale in favor of a new Hellcat.

Insurance likely goes up. Registration/etc fees go up. (Actually in my case not that much. Insurance is about the same as before. It is really based on how many miles one drives his cars. And while it costs more to register the Hellcat it just a few hundred dollars more per year, not enough to really tip the scales one way or the other.)

A new Hellcat is a lot of money for a car that only gets driven 2K miles per year. Have to ask who are you saving the miles for? (OTOH, I like low miles used cars. Back in 2009 I came up a low miles (<10K miles) 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo in pristine condition. I bought it for $57.7K, less than half its retail price of $119K. I figure the first owner paid around $5.95 in depreciation alone for every mile he drove that car.)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
life is short...there is a lot of difference between a 2018 and a 2010...not counting the power...There is a reason your 10 has no miles....If you're not going to drive it though I am with the keep what you got crowd...nothing wrong with that either.

good luck either way

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info and insight for sure! If I were to upgrade I wouldn’t trade my car in to a dealer I would sell it myself. And I would by a low mileage used Hellcat not a new one. Seems to be quite of a few of those out there for upper 40’s or lower 50’s. I feel like I could get around $23k for mine like it sits to the right buyer. Could be wrong tho. I actually had my car sold a couple times in the last year and backed out of selling it at the last minute. Felt like I would regret it. But just as soon as I talk myself into keeping it I end up seeing a Hellcat and the itch starts all over again lol! Especially if I see a B5 Blue one. I’m in love with that color.

·
Super Moderator
14,190 Posts
There is always a faster car a more desirable car.

This is very true. Just think, after the 5.7 Hemi was introduced, the next hot thing to own was a Charger SRT with a 6.1 Hemi.

It was top dog until the 6.4 Hemi made its appearance in 2011. This engine didn't reign as king very long, because of the 2015 6.4 supercharged Hellcat. Then, just when no one thought 707 hp could never be topped, the 840 horsepower Demon made its appearance last year. And so it goes... :wink3:

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
The only HC that got me to shake a little was a B5, as I love that color too. That said, I'm perfectly contented with my Scat Pack.

"Worth" can only be judged by the individual, and the extra cost etc, just wasn't worth it to me, to make a jump.

Best of luck deciding.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Keep your car. It's yours, plenty fast, and it's unique. I would spend more time looking at your car at a show than I would looking at the stock hellcat parked next to it...

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
So you pulled out of selling your car, but you have the itch to get a Hellcat....I think there is an obvious answer here: Buy a Hellcat and keep both!

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
To the OP...

The decision to "upgrade" is going to be a personal choice for you. Since you asked for other's opinions, it kind of seems you hope everybody will talk you into it.
To me, considering everything you said about your current situation, it makes zero sense to "upgrade" to a Hellcat.

Your car has more power than you use, there's nothing wrong with it, it's very low mileage, it's paid for, and it's primo!

As someone else said earlier, there's a lot more stuff you can do to the car you have. If you just feel like spending money and having more power, take the money that you won't be spending on a "different" car and make yours a bigger monster than it already is!

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
The impressive thing about a Hellcat is not that it has 707HP. It's that it makes that HP in a dead reliable and repeatable fashion and with good manners.

I know the 'tuner's will get up in arms, but therein lies the big difference between the 1200HP Vipers and a factory car. I get 100% unimpressed when I read about a 1200HP 'tuner' car, knowing that it's a just a dyno number. There won't be enough tuning and 'manners' and reliability behind it. How many times have you read a magazine article that said 'the car ran strong but we couldn't get over the terrible stumble under 2000RPM or the way the car went into Limp Home mode halfway home...'

But in your case, it sounds like you have a car that is good enough for how little you use it anyway.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Looking at OP's list of other cars, I will say, it's worth it. You are a car guy.

There is something about having the "best" in term of cars.

Back in 1994, I got in the seat of a 1994 TT Supra. WOT. Price was $36K. It was worth it.. That's all I needed to know.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I modified a scat, so know that context in what follows.

Here’s the categories I look at, and it may help matters some hopefully.
-Financial
-what else in my life will it cost? What can’t I do if I do this?
-How does it affect my 20 year plan?
-Are there alternatives that will be less expensive?

-Emotional
-How ties to this object am I? Why?
-Will I regret it in 10 years? 20?
-What was the price paid in terms of raw human suffering?

-Performance
-Can I do it without it?
-Can I do it with it?
-How much work?
-How much time?
-How much expense?
-If I went broke and had to sell it the day after, what could I get?
-Do I care?

-Purpose
-Do I have a role?
-Will it actually get used?
-How much do I really care?
-How does this affect the people I care about?

I’m hoping his aids in discussion- it’s not an attempt to lecture, though I fall into that trap often enough.
If it comes across too aloof, feel free to tell me where to go with it, as I take no offense, and it wouldn’t be the first time.

I would say this- I saw somebody with a liberty walk kit and a ton of appearance mods done up at a meet last night. My appearance is completely stock, other than the trinity and the stuff under the hood.
The work put in is for the experience desired in finding my limits- not the car’s- on the strip and track later. I have a blower on it. Still haven’t paid for a small door ding or a chip in the windshield to get fixed.

I say that to ask this- what are your priorities?
Not just what was posted, but what is the long term plan?
How much truth can you handle, and how honest have you been with yourself?

For your use, I think when it’s all said and done, you’re going to do two things.
End up selling your car (with some sadness and regret,) and buying a hellcat in B5.
I write this without knowing you at all, and I recognize that.
However, I think as soon as you sit in a 2017/2018, the plan will form to find a used one with paint in excellent condition, and probably executed in the next two years.

Financing a car is easy. Paying for work and parts is hard.
At the end of the day, you will find more of what you were looking for, and be less likely to do major upgrades in the next 10 years. Some mods maybe, but less overall work for greater performance, greater retained value, and the joy of use at or slightly above the current amount.
It’s a prediction based on knowing very little, but I think driving a candidate is where the tipping point will start.

I have about 515 to the wheels right now, and in having it, I want more.
I can’t put what the ellcat has to the ground easily, but I want to try.
Inidication is that you would enjoy that as well, provided you can find a fair price and a good home for what you have now.

But it depends on total cost.

Life is short. I hope you find this useful in a decision that works for you.
I wouldn’t start over for me- I want a 426 short block and thiteks sitting on it, and a bulletproof driveline and suspensions to support it. But that’s for a twenty year investment on a car that is likely to be a third car that still “daily drives” unless I have a need to do something else specifically. That’s also because of a strong emotional investment that overrides some other objective considerations, but I know that going into it. The investment is in what I will do with it in that timeframe, where, and with whom.

If you have some ground truth for yourself on some of the above, what is important to you, and at what price? The money is getting easier- price on good used examples is dropping. What else, and how important is it?

I think the objective financial standpoint is that nothing retains its value after ten years to the extent that any of us would wish. However, the hellcat is more likely to keep more of the value over time either way than mods, and at a high level of performance.

Best of luck on your decision. I say personally, just do it, and enjoy the aftermath for the next decade.

Cheers,

Chuck

Reactions: Ohgeez

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Get the cat and keep your 10 if you have the room for it (both garaged), what they'll give you for trade in value is a ripoff and barley make a difference on your paperwork$$$$$$ in the end.. might as well just keep it

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
"Is the Hellcat really worth it"??

If you Love the car and it brings you joy then I'd say yes!!

OR......only the owner can answer that!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
If you can afford it then I would just get it. Life is short,especially if you are old....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts