Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in the March 2018 issue of Motor Trend, that a company called AVS is making a hood protector for the Challenger.

Supposedly, it provides hood and windshield protection from the hazards of the road. It comes in smoke, chrome or black matte finishes.

My question is, who really needs this?

The designers of the Challenger went to great lengths to adjust the leading edge of the hood to enhance down force (see 2:00 and 3:31 minute marks of the following videos). After all of the wind tunnel testing, why mess with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It looks cool with the vent visors and stick on fender vents! I'll take a few rock chips and bugs, thank you.
I was going to make a comment that this is as silly as strapping a bra on the front of your Challenger (because I've never personally seen one....I assumed that no reasonable hot-rodder would do such a thing), but then I googled "Challenger Bra" and.....oh the HORROR.

Come on man. Bugs, dirt, chips, scuffs.......this is what happens when you ACTUALLY DRIVE your car. Show me a flawless finish, and I'll show you a garage-queen.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I noticed in the March 2018 issue of Motor Trend, that a company called AVS is making a hood protector for the Challenger.

Supposedly, it provides hood and windshield protection from the hazards of the road. It comes in smoke, chrome or black matte finishes.

My question is, who really needs this?

The designers of the Challenger went to great lengths to adjust the leading edge of the hood to enhance down force (see 2:00 and 3:31 minute marks of the following videos). After all of the wind tunnel testing, why mess with this?

Designer Interview ; Segment 4 - 2009 Challenger - YouTube

Dodge Challenger: Exterior Styling - YouTube
Anything you "stick on" the finish of your car (including factory badges) are dirt/dust/sand collectors. As long as you leave them on.....forever....no problem (assuming you like the ridiculous appearance). But if you ever have to take them off, the sand and dirt behind them will have scuffed your finish worse than if you had never put the thing on in the first place.

After a deer collision, the body shop had to remove the factory HEMI badges from my hood (in order to re-paint/re-clearcoat. When they did, there was a nice "HEMI" shaped ring of sand that had collected around the adhesive of the badges. Even a gentle removal of the debris, revealed a scuffed finish.

So don't stick 3D stuff on your car.....unless you want it there permanently. Vinyl decals are ok, but stuff like this and 3D badges collect abrasive material. AND if you're going to debadge, do it when the car is new....or plan on some surface repair to the ring around the badge adhesive.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What's the sense in protecting the leading edge of the hood when the other 95% the front end is naked and vulnerable?

------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
I met a Dodge SRT engineer, back in July 11, 2015 when the new 2015 style came out. They reshaped the front fascia for better aerodynamics. Check out a pre-2015 and 2015+, you will see it is a little bit shorter. Who is that guy talking to the engineer?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
I met a Dodge SRT engineer, back in July 11, 2015 when the new 2015 style came out. They reshaped the front fascia for better aerodynamics. Check out a pre-2015 and 2015+, you will see it is a little bit shorter. Who is that guy talking to the engineer?
That's me in the short sleeve shirt with my face blocked out, the guy with the dark gray shirt to the right is my friend Steve - you can see his Vitamin C '69 Super Bee in the foreground of the picture...

·
Registered
643 Posts
i have a clear bra installed, most people won't notice it is there. it's better than the terrible leather bra people used to use. it gives peace of mind from chips and light scratches

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
i have a clear bra installed, most people won't notice it is there. it's better than the terrible leather bra people used to use. it gives peace of mind from chips and light scratches
Have you lifted the clear bra and looked at all of the crud that's been collected underneath (look along the edges), and is rubbing on your paint as your clear bra shifts in the wind (even ever so slightly)?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Err, "clear bra" is the common term for 3m vinyl...
Thanks man. "clear bra" is a new one on me (outside of the freaky stuff that shows up on the Victoria Secrets catalog.) I was picturing a strap-on clear plastic baggie looking thing...and scratching my head.

So people cover parts of their car with clear vinyl? Never hear of such a thing, except for on the hood-pin thread, to protect the leading edge from moving pin lanyards.

How much surface do you cover (how far in from the front?) Wouldn't that weather differently than the clear-coat-on the paint, and become noticeable over time? And with the vinyl being softer than the paint/clear-coat, wouldn't it scuff and nick-up and look like crap after a while? I guess you could just peel it off and replace it when it does. Does anybody "clear wrap" their cars?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Indeed. I'm not sure how much of the fascia and hood is covered on these cars, but on other cars it was the front and 4-6" of hood, give or take. I'm sure someone on one of these forums has pics floating around. You can also use some behind the wheels (1/4s) to prevent rock chips.

Both are somewhat noticeable, though. It's a trade off.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Thanks man. "clear bra" is a new one on me (outside of the freaky stuff that shows up on the Victoria Secrets catalog.) I was picturing a strap-on clear plastic baggie looking thing...and scratching my head.

So people cover parts of their car with clear vinyl? Never hear of such a thing, except for on the hood-pin thread, to protect the leading edge from moving pin lanyards.

How much surface do you cover (how far in from the front?) Wouldn't that weather differently than the clear-coat-on the paint, and become noticeable over time? And with the vinyl being softer than the paint/clear-coat, wouldn't it scuff and nick-up and look like crap after a while? I guess you could just peel it off and replace it when it does. Does anybody "clear wrap" their cars?
A lot of cars that have low / sloped front ends as many sports cars and exotics - they'll put clear paint protection film on the bumper cover, fenders and some distance up the hood. If they get driven a lot they're more susceptible to getting chips all up the hood and fenders.

On Challengers I've seen the vertical faces on the front bumper to where the whole thing was covered and some up on the hood.

The higher end versions have "self-healing" properties for nicks and marring - if it gets enough damage, it gets replaced. The older films would yellow, but the newer materials seem to hold up much better than the early days.

Then there's the entire car wrap thing - some cars had color changes, matte finishes and there's more Nissan GT-R that was rolling around that had mirror finish wrap on the entire car...don't get that trend and it costs four digit figures to do that stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts