Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if a programmer canned tune (such as from a Diablosport) really does anything. I have a 2010 SRT8 that is bone stock. I'm new to this "new school" hot rodding so I'm not familiar with these things. Most of the magazine articles and so on don't really say how much this one change really helped. They'll say things like it "seems to improve throttle response" and stuff like that but I've seen painfully little hard data when it comes to these simple types of modifications. I'm thinking of doing just a CAI and maybe one of these tuners. However, I can't see how adding maybe 15 hp really justifies something like $700.00 cost between the two items.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How noticeable is it? Can you really tell "seat of the pants"? Don't mean to seem skeptical - I just don't know. My past tuning experience is with twisting distributors and changing jets....

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Get a intune and cai and a lower temp (180) thermostat. Totally wakes car up. You can get a nice package for around 600

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is an Intune easy to use? Again, sorry for the ignorance. Good or bad, I sold my 1970 Charger to get the Challenger. I have no regrets - I just love this car. I guess I'm just "starting over".

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Very easy to use and you save your stock tune to the programmer before you start adjusting parameters. Throttle boost and harder shifts were what I wanted. I started with a predator on my 06 charger and upgraded when I got my srt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car is a six speed. Do you think it will give more of a "throw you back in the seat" feel? I'm not sure but I think they limit the rate of throttle opening no matter how fast you floor the pedal with the stock tune. Is this true? Do these programmers speed up that rate?

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I do not know. Mine is automatic.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I've got a manual as well. It wakes up the car. No throttle lag, reduce tq management, lower temp with 180* install, eliminates skip shift feature to name a few. Even better with a custom tune. I couldn't imagine driving it without the tune. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I have a 2012 RT that ran strong before the trinity canned tune. I know your SRT8 runs strong.

The tune is not going to make a night and day difference, but you will notice a performance increase. When you are already pushing 425 horses in your SRT8, another 20 horses is just 5% difference. So how dramatic can 5% be?

That being said, the decrease in torque management made it worth it alone. My car wants to jump quicker than it did before. I will be getting an email tune to further benefit from the tuner. I have heard too many talk about the difference a custom tune will make. I am sold on the trinity.

Its a versatile tool can do a lot of things besides install tunes.

I spent $1,200 for a catback exhaust to make my car sound better. Does my car run any better with a new exhaust? I can't say that it does. I feel $600 is well spent on making it run better.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It does not eliminate the skip shit on the newer models. I have a '14. Diablo Mike sent me a custom tune to eliminate, but even that didn't work. As for performance I totally disagree, but perhaps the model and years matter. I have an R/T 6SP with super track pack. It already requires 91. The only I HP gain I saw on the canned tunes is due to the rev limiter being rasied. I felt a loss of mid and low range power. I'd be happy to sell you mine.

With that said, I hear that if you get a custom tune, that is where you will see improvements. I can only speak for the canned 91 and 93 (Diablo) tunes.

I've got a manual as well. It wakes up the car. No throttle lag, reduce tq management, lower temp with 180* install, eliminates skip shift feature to name a few. Even better with a custom tune. I couldn't imagine driving it without the tune. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts