Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a Billet catch can for my 2013 SXT and was wondering if it would be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Buy it: money well spent.
Let's allow the facts speak for themselves, and then you decide: Here's a link to the results of one of our members that removed his intake manifold: HERE. He talks about all the oil he found inside the intake manifold despite having two catch cans on the engine. One of them was a BT can. Documented proof that even WITH a can, there's still a problem. I haven't found any information comparing one catch can with another, except for the claims of individual manufacturers. Each claims their products are better. I can see that they are made differently, and their explanations as to just why their cans are better make sense to me. With a machinist background, I know something about oil separation devices. I know for a fact that some work better than others from the work I did on the stamping dies we built. But that was long ago. But the fact that our forum member's experience (see link above) with all the oil he found in his intake manifold... proves that this is no myth. I wonder if better quality cans can indeed eliminate the issue. I'll leave that up to you. But the fact that this man found so much oil may be WHY both Arrington and UPR claim their cans work BETTER than some of the less expensive brands. They claim that other brands let some of the oil by. The link above certainly confirms this. I bought the UPR for just under 200 bucks for that reason.

You can spend a fortune on a Challenger. You can spend hundreds to make it louder. You can spend thousands to make it prettier: but mufflers, stripes and wheels do nothing for it's reliability. The catch can, on the other hand, actually does something beneficial for the engine. Just how beneficial may be debatable, but the point remains, they work. They indeed prevent oil, and lots of it, from entering the intake manifold; and some do a better job than others. The only question is, does this matter to you? Do you care if your intake manifold, and the inlet side of your intake valves... are covered with this black gunk? Here's an interesting fact: The oil in my engine is fresh. It's still a light amber color. The oil in my catch can is black. Hmmm.

You be the judge.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
This is only at 3,000 miles!
If you don't, you are blowing this back into your engine!
My V6 was actually worst!

**YES! If FC wanted them to last forever, they would have put them on!
Think about it! They don't want your car to last forever like my wifie's 1993 Grand Marquis!
Not the way we drive them. >:)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
[QUOTE
**YES! If FC wanted them to last forever, they would have put them on!
Think about it! They don't want your car to last forever like my wifie's 1993 Grand Marquis!
Not the way we drive them. >:)

Ha this is really funny. I'm still giggling over this one. The faster my Dodge wears out, the sooner I'll need to see mama Dodge for a new one. Talk about motivation for the factory to spend whatever it takes to upgrade every little thing that could hurt the longevity of an engine...:|

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
I hear Dodge actually has a nozzle that pumps oil into the intake...discuss...

A Guy

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can't wait to here catch can proponents going nuts with absolutley no real scientific proof supported by credible data that it is beneficial...kinda like global warming hysteria.
How ironic. Claim something with no scientific proof by comparing it with something that has loads of scientific proof.

·
Registered
415 Posts
billzsrt392, 2016 R/T bought new, with the CC installed roughly at 1000 miles, now 8600 miles I've gotten over 16oz of oil in the CC instead of in the intake. Worth it??? To me yes. To you, no. So be it. Factory is not going to put something on a car for "general public use" that requires being emptied. Most won't even open the hood anyway......them guys not us guys.

A GUY, I couldn't find that hose/nozzle you speak of..........maybe on the back of motor???☺☺☺

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
billzsrt392,

A GUY, I couldn't find that hose/nozzle you speak of..........maybe on the back of motor???☺☺☺
You know it's been awful hot out there on the west coast the last couple days. Those poor folks just aren't used to the heat... makes 'em a little delirious sometimes 0:)

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,071 Posts
Looking at a Billet catch can for my 2013 SXT and was wondering if it would be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have not provided enough information for me to be able to adequately assess the situation and provide you with an honest answer to your question.

What do you mean when you say "...worth it"?

If you're basically asking if running a catch can on the 3.6L is going to return enough positive results (or prevent enough bad ones) to make the cost of the product and the time spent installing it a worthwhile endeavor, then I will have to say... Nope, I still need more info to be able to answer.

Are you financially comfortable, or does $100 mean working 2 shifts and eating bologna for a week for you? And do you have the knowledge and tools necessary to do the installation of the product?

If spending a C-Note on a CC means you have to sacrifice other things in your life, even if only for a week or two, then I would say skip the CC for now.

If you are not mechanically inclined, and you have no interest in becoming so, then I would say skip the CC for now.

If you're still in on getting one to this point, I would have one last question for you: how much time do you spend at Wide Open Throttle? If the answer is, "A LOT!!" or "Way too much!!", then I would recommend you get a CC and put it on your 3.6L asap.

In that same vein, I would ask you how long you planned on keeping the car and if you ever planned on running a tuner on it and playing with the tunes' parameters to try to squeeze out more performance?

If you plan on keeping it until either you or it dies, whichever goes first, then I would recommend you get a CC and install it asap. But if you plan on paying this Challenger off half-way and then using it for a down payment/trade-in for another, newer one, then I wouldn't bother with the CC unless you just want one.

And lastly, I would absolutely recommend you install a CC on any 3.6L you plan on adding a tuner to so you can adjust the car's tune to try to squeeze out more power. The CC won't necessarily add any extra HP/TQ, but it will make other tasks in that power-adding mod-set easier to do and their results easier to trust as being valid. But that's another thread...

There's one last reason I can think of that you could run a CC on a 3.6L and it would be beneficial - if your car's engine bay and the contents of that bay are like an alien landscape to you, but you want to change that as soon as possible by getting to know the car and how it works, and what things do and how to fix them. In that case, get a CC and do the mounting yourself. It's easiest enough to do that you could figure it out if necessary, and you'd likely learn some valuable knowledge to use the next time you install a mod.

And if none of those scenarios sound like anything you'll find yourself in, I say skip the CC on a 3.6L, as it's not going to collect much oil, and thus it will become a liability due to its lack of documentation and propensity to be overlooked by some 3rd party (mechanic) or subsequent owner (someone you left it to in the will). And in that case, it would truly NOT be worth it.

Hope the answer to your question is somewhere in there :laugh2:

Nuke

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's actually a load of BS and hype! If it was really needed it would already be included by Dodge on your engine or at a minimum offered by Mopar. Don't waste your money on this superfluous gizmo! (Can't wait to here catch can proponents going nuts with absolutley no real scientific proof supported by credible data that it is beneficial...kinda like global warming hysteria.)
You can do what you want. I had a Mini JCW with basically the same PVC back into the intake system. Everyone said get a catch can. I said it can't be the bad or the manufacture would do something about it. 20K later my motor is running rough and it needs a seam foam cleaning. Oh and it's on your nickel as they call it a wear or mat. item. Catch can installed earlier this week.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Interesting topic...I'm surprised it's never been brought up before. Anyway...I pieced together a nice quality flea-bay can on my 3.5L for about $40. It doesn't hurt performance and it does "catch" some oil.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Einstein you can do what you want. I had a Mini JCW with basically the same PVC back into the intake system. Everyone said get a catch can. I said it can't be the bad or the manufacture would do something about it. 20K later my motor is running rough it needs a seam foam cleaning. Oh and it's on your nickel as they call it a wear or mat. item. Catch can installed earlier this week.
Name calling is hardly the way to advance your arguments on this forum. The original poster asked for advice and I gave mine and you and others have given yours. Let's just leave it at that.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
It's actually a load of BS and hype! If it was really needed it would already be included by Dodge on your engine or at a minimum offered by Mopar.
A catch can is not needed for engine longevity. However, if you are concerned with performance, and all of us here are, oil blow-by will eventually result in a build-up in your intake manifold and on your intake valves. To prevent pre-ignition/knocking your PCM will pull timing and you will lose a little horsepower. For $100 it is well worth the cost.

Car manufacturers know that blow-by is not good for a car's engine. In the old days, before emission regulations, the blow-by was vented directly into the air using a wire mesh breather cap mounted on the valve cover. After the regulations came into effect, the blow-by was directed back into the engine, using a PCV valve, to be re-burned.

Why aren't catch can standard on car engines? Two reasons:

1. Maintenance factor (most drivers would forget to empty them).
2. Bean counters worry about cost (adds dollars to MSRP).

·
Registered
460 Posts
A catch can is not needed for engine longevity. However, if you are concerned with performance, and all of us here are, oil blow-by will eventually result in a build-up on your intake valves. To prevent pre-ignition/knocking your PCM will pull timing and you will lose a little horsepower. For $100 it is well worth the cost.

Car manufacturers know that blow-by is not good for a car's engine. In the old days, before emission regulations, the blow-by was vented directly into the air using a wire mesh breather cap mounted on the valve cover. After the regulations came into effect, the blow-by was directed back into the engine, using a PCV valve, to be re-burned.

Why aren't catch can standard on car engines? Two reasons:

1. Maintenance factor (most drivers would forget to empty them).
2. Bean counters worry about cost (adds dollars to MSRP).
Great, dispassionate response! Thanks.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Why do people keep asking questions that have been discussed repetitively for years now? Do some research and make your decision.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
A catch can helps, but oil will still make it into the intake. I've pulled my intake manifold twice in 30,000 miles and oil has been in the heads ports both times. I've also had a catch can (2 brands) on the car since it was brand new.

Oil vapor does decrease effective octane rating and can lead to knock, especially with the 6.4L.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
I thought Einstein was a genius? I'd be proud! >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
863 Posts
I thought Einstein was a genius? I'd be proud! >:)

A Guy
Einstein was a fraud. Tesla was the genius. (Just like global warming lol "science". The sun gets active, temps go up. The sun quiets, the earth gets cool.
As Kenandjenn noticed, you really need two catch cans for oil. One on the low vacuum side as well as the high vacuum side. (For what it's worth).
Why am I even responding to an AI bot?
lol!
Peace peeps.

Tom.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I don't think they're needed on most normal driven cars. All cars have oil recycled through the intake. But I have seen on State Trooper Chargers the air filters completely soaked in oil. But they never shut there cars off and usually are on full throttle. But they do look cool.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts