Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know if the aftermarket is making a block-off or air silencer delete plug for the R/T yet?

The large "box" off the 5.7 intake tube, I believe is only to silence the air intake under acceleration. I also believe this is why people who have changed out to the 6.1 SRT8 intake tube have noticed a much throatier intake air sound (since the 6.1 doesn't use it).

On the 4.6 DOHC Motor's, Ford also added a similar silencer (although it's called a "milk jug" in Ford Parlance).

This was very common to delete almost asap and replace with a blanking plug. You picked up almost no true measurable HP (some claim 1 HP) but, a much better intake sound under heavy acceleration.

Here is a picture of a blanking plate on a 4.6 Mach 1. The 5.7 Silencer seems very similar so, I am wondering if the aftermarket has started offering it yet??

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
are you sure its just for sound? Back in my miata days some people found if you removed the version they had, which I think they referred to as a resonance chamber, it would affect HP around 4k. A few people did back this up on a dyno IIRC, so the general consensus was if you ran a stock intake leave it on.
Might be a good question for one of those Chrysler Engineer chat sessions.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Interesting on the Miata, but it is just for sound.

Removing it won't necessarily help horsepower, but it will help throttle response.

When you mash the gas the box will fill with air before all the air makes it's way to the motor. Removing the box eliminates the extra path giving a more direct route for the air to get to the motor which is a good thing.

No, I've not seen anyone make a block off plate for this yet, but I bet you can find something in the PVC department at the hardware store. Scuff, etch prime, paint black, and you made your own.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
are you sure its just for sound? Back in my miata days some people found if you removed the version they had, which I think they referred to as a resonance chamber, it would affect HP around 4k. A few people did back this up on a dyno IIRC, so the general consensus was if you ran a stock intake leave it on.
Might be a good question for one of those Chrysler Engineer chat sessions.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I know from the Ford Modular family of motors, it is strictly a dB issue why it is placed there. On Ford's new Coyote 5.0 family, small diffusers are placed just behind the Throttle Body to quiet the inrush sound at WOT. Since I believe the intake is common to Charger it's the 85-15% thing. Where 85% of the buying demographic doesn't want all the traditional mechanical symphony sounds (the stuff most of us love) during hard driving. Probably the reason why our SRT8 cousins don't have the silencer. Since out of the gate, the car is marketed to enthusiasts and doesn't have to share the same amount of parts from the corporate grocery getter bins then the R/T does, due to the higher profit margins.

Maybe with the Miata and its smaller displacement, it serves more of a function to maintain volumetric efficiency during high loads?

It would for sure be an interesting question to pose to the powertrain engineering group at a chat session.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting on the Miata, but it is just for sound.

Removing it won't necessarily help horsepower, but it will help throttle response.

When you mash the gas the box will fill with air before all the air makes it's way to the motor. Removing the box eliminates the extra path giving a more direct route for the air to get to the motor which is a good thing.

No, I've not seen anyone make a block off plate for this yet, but I bet you can find something in the PVC department at the hardware store. Scuff, etch prime, paint black, and you made your own.
Thank you also for the reply and input. Funny thing but on my 03 Mach 1, I used a 5.0 "Fix-in-Body" freeze out plug (the kind with the expandable rubber back the increases in diameter as you tighten the stud). It was a perfect fit.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Most guys just cut the bottle off where it connects to the intake, then cut a piece out of the bottle to fit over the hole. A little RTV to atach the patch and call it good.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I made a patch out of an aluminum disc and a marmon (exhaust system V-channel) clamp.

I ended up buying an SRT intake off of eBay, and using the SRT duct instead.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I taped the inside and filled it with body putty from the outside. Makes a nice smooth radius in the inside.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I made a patch out of an aluminum disc and a marmon (exhaust system V-channel) clamp.

I ended up buying an SRT intake off of eBay, and using the SRT duct instead.
Nice work on the cap. If I would have known you needed an SRT intake I would have traded you.

Would you concider selling the R/T one you have pictured????

Thanks,
PWR2TOW

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
here is a pic i saved off the boards from a while back. not sure who posted it, but this is how i plan to do mine this winter...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just get a 2008 or older Hemi Charger/300/Magnum intake tube. FWIW, both the 5.7 and 6.1 tubes are the same (6.1 intake filter box is slightly different, however). I got mine for free from a 2006 Charger Daytona owner that went with a Shaker set up.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
...Would you concider selling the R/T one you have pictured????
I'll have to see if it's still intact. The clamp was a spare for a header system on another car. I might have taken it apart to "rescue" the clamp.

FWIW, the duct on 2011 5.7s, that I've seen pictures of, looks just like the R/T ducts that we are familiar with, but I believe that the muffler chamber has been eliminated. You might want to check those out when they become common. You know that people are going to upgrade.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just get a 2008 or older Hemi Charger/300/Magnum intake tube. FWIW, both the 5.7 and 6.1 tubes are the same (6.1 intake filter box is slightly different, however). I got mine for free from a 2006 Charger Daytona owner that went with a Shaker set up.

Is that tube smooth on the inside?

Thanks, Noob

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
FWIW, the duct on 2011 5.7s, that I've seen pictures of, looks just like the R/T ducts that we are familiar with, but I believe that the muffler chamber has been eliminated. You might want to check those out when they become common. You know that people are going to upgrade.
i thought of doing the same thing, but it looks like the duct on the 2011 charger doesnt have the muffler, but the challenger still does:

2011 Dodge Challenger RT Engine Photo 8

here is a pic of the 2011 charger. it may still work but might be slightly off when trying to align things up because the airbox looks slightly different.

2011 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 engine Photo Car and Driver - (374220)

the question now is why would the luxury sedan have no sound baffle, but the performance coupe does?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Is that tube smooth on the inside?

Thanks, Noob
Yes. It's rubber as opposed to hard plastic like the stock R/T tube. You get a little more intake 'whoosh' above 4,000 RPM and the exhaust sounds slightly louder as well (at least on my 6-speed R/T, it does).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
the question now is why would the luxury sedan have no sound baffle, but the performance coupe does?
Dodge claims the 6-speed exhaust system is as loud as EPA regulations will allow. Perhaps without the silencer it would be too loud. Chargers/300s all have the quieter suitcase muffler so maybe the silencer isn't needed. I suspect A/T Challenger R/Ts have it just to simplify production.

Still, this theory doesn't hold water when you consider 6-speed SRT8s don't have a silencer (and have a larger inside diameter exhaust system to boot).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts