Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
This update (TSB # 08-036-11) has been available to all the Chrysler, Dodge & Jeep dealerships thru their "Dealer Connect system". They are just being lazy. They all got it at the same time.

I called a dealership today to ask them about performing this fix. They said that they don't have the software yet. Where can they get the software to do the fix? Anyone know any Atlanta area dealerships that DO have the software? After 4 months I'd be REALLY happy to finally get my iPhone working right in my car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My apologies, the "Dealer Connect System" is the Chrysler website that their Techs access for diagnostics, pin point test, schematics, TSB's etc. When you plan to go to the dealer, first I would call them and ask about the TSB 08-036-11. I have had replies from several people that say when they mention it to the service personnel, they are told "it's not available". Fact is that it is available and has been since 6-29-2011. I waited till 6-30-2011 to call a couple of dealers before I posted this information on a Wrangler forum. There is another problem however, You want to ask them if they have performed this update successfully. I have several people in different states that have said they have had their vehicle in and the update was supposedly done. The Iphone / iPod would link up when they got into the car but later they had the "error occurred" message again.
A good way to test and validate if the update was performed correctly (or at all) is to go into streaming audio, the current streaming audio with an Apple product is fine "UNTILL" you press the wake button to turn on the backlighting on the display (where you can see the now playing, artist, album etc. Then the audio becomes choppy.
For those of you with non Apple devices, most of the HTC's, Samsungs, Motorola etc have a fast, choppy sound on the streaming audio.
With the HTC recent SW update to the Android 2.3.3, the phone is not dropping the blue tooth connection, ( the problem there was the way that HTC was sending the phone book data, Uconnect will try 3 times to get the data in a supported fashion. If it doesn't then Uconnect will reset its module and say to the phone "hey , lets try that again".) The best thing to have done (or do if you haven't done the update yet, is to not give permission for the pb to be downloaded when you originally paired the phone. If you have not done the update, then you can do this step by going into the phone,, delete the uconnect and go into uconnect and delete the phone, start a new pairing session and select decline when asked. This message will pop up a few more times as well as when you get into the vehicle, just ignore it and it will go away). The HTC update helped their streaming audio a bit not 100%. The uconnect update will playback the music properly.
With Samsung, they recently came out with a Android 2.2 Sw update. With their 2.1 the PB downloaded fine, however now the pb does not download. Your pb may already be downloaded to the Uconnect but if you make any changes to the contacts (add or delete) the changes won't be adjusted to the stored pb. Each time you leave the vehicle and come back, turn the key on, the pb is downloaded. This is to compare what is saved to what may be new while you were out of the vehicle. (deleted or added). The changes are then added to the stored pb file.
The real problem is that these phone companies want to be come out with the next best and fastest sw which is ok but they need to work hand in hand with the car kit companies like Uconnect, Ford SYNC, Onstar etc. They don't bother trying to validate their changes to what people have in their cars right now. Then the car kit companies have to wait for people to have problem, validate the problems, write new SW for the problems that could have been fixed by the phone company before being sent to the public. Then the fix needs to be sent out to the dealers to re flash vehicles.

What is this "Dealer Connect System", and what should I tell my dealership so they can go get this and fix my car? :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
WOW, they have the TSB but not the software???? HMM, let me see here, The TSB is on their Dealer Connect Computer system, This means that the "SOFTWARE" is there also. What they must not HAVE i: some flash drives or thumb drives what ever anyone wants to call them. I don't understand why they are having such a problem besides they are just LAZY and really can not read and understand the instructions.
I was first introduced to the phone issues a couple months back and then was also directed to the Jeep Wrangler site (the person that was able to get me to help has a Wrangler so I have been there helping). There has been people that have taken their vehicles to the dealers only to be misled about this TSB. I thought that perhaps there was something wrong with the files for the TSB. I rented a Durango yesterday (I couldn't find a Wrangler locally) and took it to the dealer for the TSB. I spoke to the Service Mgr about being able to watch the tech perform the steps because of the issues that service techs were having. The tech that performed mine was a little tech savvy and understood about downloading to a thumb drive. The update was downloaded and the thumb drive placed in the USB connector in the armrest, we spoke for about 15 minutes while the update was beeping away. When it was done, I asked him to verify the PN which would change to a new PN with the update (which it did)
In order to verify the update I would tell the service person that is helping you that you want to know what the new PN is. If it is any of the following then the update was not correctly performed:

05064635AG, 05064735AG
05064630AG, 05064740AG

However if it is any of the following PN's then it was done correctly:

68140634AA, 68140635AA
68140645AA, 68140646AA

Also, here are the steps for the TSB, directly off of Dealer Connect: (attached)

I called the local dealership there. They said they had the TSB, but didn't have the software to perform it. They told me to "check back on Friday", making it sound like they needed to receive a physical shipment. So you are saying they can download the software from the "Dealer Connect System", and don't actually need to physically receive anything?

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
RMac, where in MI are you? I'm in Troy.

The TSB gives them very clear instructions on how to get the software. They use their wiTECH diagnostic tool to get the update for the hands-free module. They download it using their wiTECH, and copy it to a USB thumb drive. They then use that USB thumb drive in the center console USB port.

The dealer isn't going to be sent any software update... they have everything they need! Is there another dealer by you that you can take it to? This one sounds completely clueless.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sterling Height Chrysler was the 2nd dealer I called before I posted on another forum on the 30th about the TSB being released. The 1st dealer wanted to argue that it wasn't available. I then called SH chry and they weren't aware of it until after I told him I have a screen shot from Dealer Connect showing that I got from a Chrysler Eng at the Chrysler Tech Center in Auburn Hills. He dug a little and then I heard "hey here it is".
I went to Suburban Chrysler on Monday to check the process out from a dealers side because there were people having problems getting it done correctly or at all. The service writer originally said the TSB doesn't exist, I pulled out the TSB report and showed him it does exist and that I wanted to watch the process. The Tech that did the process had no problems performing it. This leads me to believe that the techs that are having problems are not reading the instructions correctly and are thinking that the update is being done thru wireless transmission. I read about a person that took his vehicle to a 2nd dealer because of the 1st did not do it correctly. (he originally thought that the update sucked because it didn't work but I was able to verify that it either wasn't done or done incorrectly. This was verified by the streaming audio playing fine but then becoming choppy when the display back lighting was turned on to see the "now playing" screen).
He asked the 2nd dealer tech if it was done and asked about how long the update beeped for. The tech looked at him and said " beep, there was no beeps, I plugged the thumb drive in, hit go and it was over in a second". The guy asked "no beeps at all" and just walked out, knowing that the update wasn't done properly. This guy is in Oklahoma and has 2 brand new Rubicons. This same story has been posted by several vehicle owners in different states. I am now trying to help him out.
Another problem that is coming up is that the TSB is showing that the TSB is for vehicles built prior to April 18th 2011. The person mentioned above with the 2 Rubicons (I know this isn't a JEEP forum but I am using it as an example) has 1 that is built on 4-19-2011 and the other built on 4-25-2011 and I have helped him to verify the Uconnect module PN by locating it and giving that # to me. I am trying to bring this to the attention of Chrysler.
Sorry to be so long winded but I thought this information would help others here to make sure the proocess is done correctly. The tell tale sign for most of the phones is in the streaming audio, if the streaming audio is playing correctly, the update was done. Most of the phones I have read about had other issues along with the streaming audio issue. Hope this is helpful.

Sterling Heights.

The TSB fixes compatibility issues with the newer Apple products, running iOS4 (iPhone 4, upgraded iPhone 3G and 3GS, iPod Touch, and the latest iPhone nano). Without this update, if you plug the device into the center console USB port, 9 out of 10 times it will show an error message and not read the device. It also fixes an issue with Bluetooth Streaming Audio, where the audio plays about 10 times faster than normal, and skips.

Older Apple devices worked fine without this update.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello RammJaeger,
The module, I believe is to the right of the glove box on the IP. Remove the glove box and look to the inside right on the dash structure. You will see a module approx 3.5" x 6" x 1.5" and looks like the one in the picture attached. (the PN on this parrticular unit is the 05064635AK, yours should be similar but end in "AG"). Also the screen shot is attached to this post.

Can you post up that screenshot show I can show it to my dealership? Also "I have helped him to verify the Uconnect module PN" could you tell us where we find this PN?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
hello all, to those that are interested, I will have someone (mrjeep) post a link to the SW update. you will be able to DL it to a thumb drive and then connect the thumb drive to the USB connector for the iPod cable (do not use the 1 on the radio faceplate). The first thing you want to verify though is that you have a Uconnect module that has SW version 43.1.10 on it. If you look and see that it has SW version 43.1.30, it won't work. You will get an error recording about 5 minutes into it about the archive not being correct. The module is on the right side of the dash. Open the glove box (if it drops down far enough this should be good. If not then remove it, I don't want you breaking anything.) Look to the right of the IP and you will see a module that looks like the one attached to this post above this one.
For thos e with the 43.1.30 SW, hang tight, I am on vacation next week and will work on this when I get back.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ramjaeger,
first you want to make sure that you have the SW version 43.1.10 and not the 43.1.30 (just to keep you from wasting your time. As I mentioned earlier the module is to the right of the glove box. Open it and remove it if needed in order to verify the SW version. I'll get mrjeep to guide you to the right version (it will be for the update of PN 68140634AA).
I will work on the 43.1.30 issues with some ENGs when I get back from vacation a week from Tuesday.

mrJeep thanks a million for this info, I'm going to give this a shot when I get home.

There is one crucial question here though - given that this is the Challenger forums, which category is a Challenger? Mid-large or small?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I guess we vacationed a little hard yesterday, kids want to do everything the first day and running slow this morning. Thought I would pop in and see how things are going. It's good to see the update working for you.
Rammjaeger,
You say the album art is not displaying correctly. Where is this artwork not being displayed correctly? Is this in the cabled or streaming mode?
Mrjeep- Thank you for helping getting this update hosted for the Chrysler / Dodge & Jeep customers.

I am glad it is working for everyone, and I am happy to help. Thank you xsdbs for providing the files and instruction, and Uconnect guys for making an update for us

Yes thumb/flash/usb drive... it's all pretty much the same. Click the link appropriate for your vehicle, download the file to your computer, then drag and drop the file to your flash drive, plug the flash drive into your car's remote usb port in the glove box or center console, and continue with the rest of the instructions

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello Vynn,
The SW that you mentioned is the Radio SW and has nothing to do with the Uconnect SW. You need to look at the Uconnect module which is located to the right of the glove box. Open it and remove it if needed to view the module. You need to have SW 43.1.10 on the label in order for this update to work.
The other SW update that you listed is not Uconnect's either. You will perform the update using the USB connector that you plug an iPod into and not the one on the face of the radio.

My SW version is 29.03.62 (2010 Challenger SRT8), will this update work for me? The only USB port I can find is on the radio itself, I don't have one in my glove box and in the center console there's only 1 connector for an iPod/iPhone cable.

Update: Found an ISO file at the address below to update from 8.03.02 to 8.05.01 but BTSA still doesn't work.

The Unofficial MyGIG Information Site Forum • View topic - RBZ Update v8.05.01

·
Registered
362 Posts
vynn, I see. I must have missed something somewhere along the line. You have a 2010 vehicle and this update that we have been talking about is for the 2011 vehicles. There isn't an update for the 2010 vehicles. The 2010 Uconnect system only had iPod hookup thru the cable and did not have streaming audio. The radio in the 2010 did not support streaming audio controls (such as next & previous tracks, play, pause etc) until 2011.

If the USB port in the 430 (RBZ) radio can't be used, where's the USB port in a 2010 Challenger SRT8?

I can't find one in/behind the glove box and in the center console I only have a port for this cable:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello JoeCanadian, Yes I would say it would be okay to try the update on your Avenger. If you did want to look at the module to verify the SW level, the module is located behind the HVAC control head. Remove the center stack trim panel and "using a magnetic" screwdriver remove the screws holding in the HVAC control head and you will see the module. Even if you just tried the update you wouldn't brick the radio or do any daamage at all, if the SW is the 43.1.30 level all that will happen is about 5 minutes or so into the re flash you will hear an error message saying "archive is not compatible with this module". However I have an update that I am testing for the 43.1.30 SW also. I should be done testing it in the next day or two and if all goes well I will have mrjeep post it for people to access.

xsdbs - thanks for your help in providing all this good information.

I know this is a challenger forum, but I recently purchased a 2011 Avenger (built March 16 2011). The TSB 08-036-11 issued on June 29, 2011 seems to indicate that my RBZ radio in my 2011 Avenger should be covered in this update. Problem is, I can't find the HFM to verify the either the part number (as described in the TSB) or the software version as described earlier in this thread.

So, is it safe to just try the update without verifying the HFM part or software numbers? I don't care if I waste 30 minutes trying it. The radio as it is now is SO incredibly frustrating to use with my iPhone 3GS (running iOS 4.3.5) that I'm willing to give it a try. I just don't want to damage or brick my radio.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well that's all good news. I'm glad it worked out for you. The reading of the information is time relative to the iPhone and not the Uconnect. Apple send Uconnect the information to use and the timing can be different depending on the how much material that you have in the iPod section. I have also seen where if it seemed longer at times than others, if you do a soft reset of the iPod / iPhone by pressing the sleep button on top and the wake button on the lower face (round impression) at the same time till the Apple shows up this sometimes helps. Thanks again for help.

The good news is it worked. The bad news is I won't be able to help you test the 43.1.30 update.

The bluetooth streaming now works well without the skipping and with the iphone screen on. I can now play tracks on the iphone, and choose to route the audio though the phone or through uconnect. I can change songs on the iphone and it continues to route it though uconnect. Very slick integration.

The other problem I was experiencing was when I plugged the iphone into the USB port under the HVAC controls (vs the one on the 430 (RBZ) radio itself). 99 times out of a 100 after displaying the message "Reading" for about a minute, it would say "Error Encountered" and the 'ipod' would not be usable via the radio.

Now, it still takes longer than I would expect to get past the "Reading" message, but it appears to now always connect to the radio. This allows me to look through my play lists, play tracks, see the ID3 tags of songs playing etc.

I'll keep playing with this part of it over the next few days to see how reliable it is. But already it seems "more complete" then it did before.

In case you need to know, I'm using an iPhone 3GS running the just updated iOS version 4.3.5 (8L1). The Avenger is a 2011 with a MDH of 031613 and the 430 unit is a RBZ radio running the following software versions (application 20.02.01, audio CPU 081910).

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello Heminator,
This does not sound correct. I will look into it and get back to you. May I ask what SW is on the iPhone?
Also please let me fully understand what you are doing. My understanding is that you have:
1) paired the iPhone 3 to the Uconnect system and would like the BT connection to be used for calls,
2) After had paired the phone you now want to plug the iPhone into the USB / iPod cable for your music. The reason probably for this method is to keep your battery charged and also better sound quality. (is this correct)
3) You now can only do 1 or the other, use the phone for calls or the iPod section for audio?
Can you explain to me what does happen when you try to use both?
Thank you

I had the dealer to the update for me (before I read this thread). Everything works well now in my 430N, except for the following:

If I link Bluetooth UConnect for my iPhone and ALSO connect my iPhone to the USB jack to play songs over the iPod, it will not allow both to occur at the same time.

I believe this is a limitation of the iPhone (or I have a setting wrong) because I can connect my iPod Nano to the USB port and have my iPhone linked Bluetooth to Uconnect, and the 430N plays nice with both of them.

Can anyone verify that the iPhone 3GS cannot be connected to Bluetooth (Uconnect phone) and USB (iPod streaming) at the same time?

Thx

·
Registered
362 Posts
Okay, I have had good luck with the 43.1.30 SW update and will have mrjeep post it on the hosting site later today. The instructions will be the same as they were for the previous update for TSB# 08-036-11. You are actually receiving this update before the dealerships are because if they got the update first, they would have to wait to find the time to validate it and then put it on the Dealer Connect system. So if you have the 43.1.30 SW level don't even bother asking the dealers about it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This is weird, I thought I posted back on this issue yesterday. MAybe I didn't hit the submit button. It was 1 of those days at ork.
Have you tried a soft reset of the phone? (hold down the power button and the wake button below on the face of the phone till the apple comes up and then release).
Also, how old is the iphone3? If it's not a new one then, when you plug the iPod cable into it and the "accessory connected" screen comes up, right below it, is there a message showing "dock connector", if so tap on it and a menu box should come up giving 2 selections:
1) dock connector
2) Uconnect
select Uconnect. If this is what you see and you made the "Uconnect" selection does it work the way you want it too.
Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

You are correct - I wanted the BT UConnect phone, the USB dock for charging, and the USB dock for highest quality digital streaming (and it is by far the best audio quality of any available option).

When I enter the car, the iPhone 3GS automatically pairs via BT with Uconnect. And hands free calling works just fine.

When I connect the iPhone 3GS to the USB dock, it reads the iPod menu and all of the songs and tracks/titles load properly. But when I hit play, it starts to play a song and then freezes after 2 seconds.

Disabling BT on the iPhone 3GS (which disables UConnect of course) then allows the iPhone iPod to play just fine over the USB dock.

So I can't have iPhone paired to UConnect via BT and have the iPhone iPod USB dock connected at the same time. It seems the iPhone isn't capable of doing both and the BT connection seems to have precedence/priority.

I don't think this is a 430N issue, because if I connect my iPod Nano to the USB dock, it works fine while my iPhone 3GS is paired via BT to UConnect. The 430N will mute and pause the iPod Nanao audio track when making calls, and then it will resume playing after the call is completed, so it's behaving exactly as I would have expected.

The firmware on my iPhone 3GS is up to date: 4.3.4 (8K2)

·
Registered
362 Posts
The 43.1.20 SW has the same new SW level in it as the updated level that is being performed. There were only about 2600 of the 43.1.20 that made it our to the plants and the issue with those was not in the streaming & iPod link up but that there was a message in the CAN line from the radio to the Uconnect module that Chrysler had changed and the Uconnect was seen to "Lock UP" and not function on a very few test vehicles. There was a disc that was sent out to the dealerships to add the new line to the SW that could be done by them. This was not a complete new level of SW such as what is being done for the 43.1.10 & the 43.1.30.
PS, you haven't harmed anything by doing the update either.

Unique issue.... Haven't seen a mention of anyone trying to update 43.1.20. Am I the only one? Tried 5 times and keep getting a "Digital Signature is incorrect" message. I'm going to try what a previous poster mentioned and reformat the drive (Dunno why I never thought of it) and will hopefully work. I've got a Ram Sport Crew Cab so it's all the same stuff in a different body (nobody seems to have it on the ram forums either!).
On a seperate note... sweet rides people. Keep that Mopar flag flying high! The Chally is next on the list to compliment the Ram and Avenger R/T

EDIT:

Worked like a charm, thank you Denvermitch for pointing out the obvious! You made me feel dumb while curing my headache. RE-FORMAT the drive if you get this error

·
Registered
362 Posts
Heminator, Just checking to see if you are still having this issue? I haven't seen a post from you lately. I have a couple questions for you:
1) how old is the iPhone 3
2) When are you plugging the iPhone into the cable (right away after entering the car)?
3) when the cable is hooked up and the "accessory connected" screen is showing on the iPhone, do you see the airplay menu bar? (see pictures)
are the settings the same as here?

Thanks for the reply.

You are correct - I wanted the BT UConnect phone, the USB dock for charging, and the USB dock for highest quality digital streaming (and it is by far the best audio quality of any available option).

When I enter the car, the iPhone 3GS automatically pairs via BT with Uconnect. And hands free calling works just fine.

When I connect the iPhone 3GS to the USB dock, it reads the iPod menu and all of the songs and tracks/titles load properly. But when I hit play, it starts to play a song and then freezes after 2 seconds.

Disabling BT on the iPhone 3GS (which disables UConnect of course) then allows the iPhone iPod to play just fine over the USB dock.

So I can't have iPhone paired to UConnect via BT and have the iPhone iPod USB dock connected at the same time. It seems the iPhone isn't capable of doing both and the BT connection seems to have precedence/priority.

I don't think this is a 430N issue, because if I connect my iPod Nano to the USB dock, it works fine while my iPhone 3GS is paired via BT to UConnect. The 430N will mute and pause the iPod Nanao audio track when making calls, and then it will resume playing after the call is completed, so it's behaving exactly as I would have expected.

The firmware on my iPhone 3GS is up to date: 4.3.4 (8K2)

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Heminator, thanks for the report You are very welcome and I am glad that I was able to help. Sorry about dropping the ball.

OK sorry for the delay - I haven't been in the Challenger for a few days. I just tried it and I'm happy to report both of them work!

After the phone linked to UConnect, I plugged it into the USB dock and it loaded the iPod. Then it started to play and it froze (like I discussed previously). So I pulled up that menu screen you are showing and selected Dock Connector instead of UConnect and then hit stop/play again in the touch screen of the 430N and it started to play music from the iPod.

Then I made a phone call to verify it was still linked to UConnect via BT and that worked fine and it paused the iPod and then resumed play like it should.

So it was just that one setting change - and xsdbs ruuules! Thanks very much for the assist on this one. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Heminator & JoeCanadian, Thanks for the update. Glad that you were able to get your system up and running. ENJOY it. Hopefully Apple will change where the iPod picks back up after a ign key cycle.

You didn't drop the ball at all - I was the one lagging behind.

I will still leave my Nano full-time in the console because it's much more convenient and it picks-up at the last song when I re-start the car.

But for long trips where I will be charging the iPhone and using the iPod in the iPhone and talking on the iPhone via UConnect, an all-in-one solution is the way to go and I'm very glad I can use my iPhone for everything when needed.

Finally with the 430N RHB firmware update so my iPhone and iPod work, and Garmin NAV and Sirius Travel Link just added, the SRT8 Challenger is finally the consummate trip vehicle, with all the connectivity and features I could ever ask for.
After using the update (the HFM SW 43.1.10 update with my 430/RBZ radio) for a week and a half, I have nothing but good things to report. The Bluetooth streaming works well, and more important to me, the iPod/iPhone connection via the USB port works every time with my iPhone 3GS (iOS version 4.3.5 (8L1)). Thanks again to the Uconnect team for working on this update, and for xsdbs and MrJeep for making this update available via the web.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.