Dodge Challenger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everytime I tried the update I was in the garage, so I had the engine off with the key's in the ACC or ON/RUN position. I didn't know anything about the 13.2 volts... I just figured as long as the key is NOT in the lock position (radio will shut off during update), then you should be okay. You NEVER want things to shut off during software installation

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Neither my wife nor I have an iPhone but I installed the update last night anyway. I just set the ignition in the accessories position, turned off the radio, plugged in the flash drive in the center console USB, then held the phone button on the radio face for a 5 count and it did its thing. Got the mail, pulled in the trash barrels, and fiddled with a couple Malibu lights in the front yard and by the time I got back to it it was done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Went to the dealer last Thursday to get my first oil change, and asked them to update the stereo while they were at it, because I had heard on here there was a update, they acted as if they had heard of the update. So my hopes were high that they would get it sorted out.

Unfortunately after all was said and done they told me there was not a update available. So I came away disappointed.

So being a tech savvy guy I took it into my own hands and followed the instructions on here. And now my iPhone 4 works perfectly. As someone said previously my car finally feels whole.

Thanks so much to those that provided the information.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello Vynn,
The SW that you mentioned is the Radio SW and has nothing to do with the Uconnect SW. You need to look at the Uconnect module which is located to the right of the glove box. Open it and remove it if needed to view the module. You need to have SW 43.1.10 on the label in order for this update to work.
The other SW update that you listed is not Uconnect's either. You will perform the update using the USB connector that you plug an iPod into and not the one on the face of the radio.

My SW version is 29.03.62 (2010 Challenger SRT8), will this update work for me? The only USB port I can find is on the radio itself, I don't have one in my glove box and in the center console there's only 1 connector for an iPod/iPhone cable.

Update: Found an ISO file at the address below to update from 8.03.02 to 8.05.01 but BTSA still doesn't work.

The Unofficial MyGIG Information Site Forum • View topic - RBZ Update v8.05.01

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
240 Posts
Hello Vynn,
The SW that you mentioned is the Radio SW and has nothing to do with the Uconnect SW. You need to look at the Uconnect module which is located to the right of the glove box. Open it and remove it if needed to view the module. You need to have SW 43.1.10 on the label in order for this update to work.
The other SW update that you listed is not Uconnect's either. You will perform the update using the USB connector that you plug an iPod into and not the one on the face of the radio.
This is my version:

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
240 Posts
If the USB port in the 430 (RBZ) radio can't be used, where's the USB port in a 2010 Challenger SRT8?

I can't find one in/behind the glove box and in the center console I only have a port for this cable:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you!

MrJeep, thanks so much for taking the time to help a lot of other people out with this much anticipated update...music is one of my passions and it's so much easier to just carry around my iphone. Thanks again!!!
Gil

·
Registered
362 Posts
vynn, I see. I must have missed something somewhere along the line. You have a 2010 vehicle and this update that we have been talking about is for the 2011 vehicles. There isn't an update for the 2010 vehicles. The 2010 Uconnect system only had iPod hookup thru the cable and did not have streaming audio. The radio in the 2010 did not support streaming audio controls (such as next & previous tracks, play, pause etc) until 2011.

If the USB port in the 430 (RBZ) radio can't be used, where's the USB port in a 2010 Challenger SRT8?

I can't find one in/behind the glove box and in the center console I only have a port for this cable:

·
Registered
4 Posts
... this update that we have been talking about is for the 2011 vehicles.
xsdbs - thanks for your help in providing all this good information.

I know this is a challenger forum, but I recently purchased a 2011 Avenger (built March 16 2011). The TSB 08-036-11 issued on June 29, 2011 seems to indicate that my RBZ radio in my 2011 Avenger should be covered in this update. Problem is, I can't find the HFM to verify the either the part number (as described in the TSB) or the software version as described earlier in this thread.

So, is it safe to just try the update without verifying the HFM part or software numbers? I don't care if I waste 30 minutes trying it. The radio as it is now is SO incredibly frustrating to use with my iPhone 3GS (running iOS 4.3.5) that I'm willing to give it a try. I just don't want to damage or brick my radio.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello JoeCanadian, Yes I would say it would be okay to try the update on your Avenger. If you did want to look at the module to verify the SW level, the module is located behind the HVAC control head. Remove the center stack trim panel and "using a magnetic" screwdriver remove the screws holding in the HVAC control head and you will see the module. Even if you just tried the update you wouldn't brick the radio or do any daamage at all, if the SW is the 43.1.30 level all that will happen is about 5 minutes or so into the re flash you will hear an error message saying "archive is not compatible with this module". However I have an update that I am testing for the 43.1.30 SW also. I should be done testing it in the next day or two and if all goes well I will have mrjeep post it for people to access.

xsdbs - thanks for your help in providing all this good information.

I know this is a challenger forum, but I recently purchased a 2011 Avenger (built March 16 2011). The TSB 08-036-11 issued on June 29, 2011 seems to indicate that my RBZ radio in my 2011 Avenger should be covered in this update. Problem is, I can't find the HFM to verify the either the part number (as described in the TSB) or the software version as described earlier in this thread.

So, is it safe to just try the update without verifying the HFM part or software numbers? I don't care if I waste 30 minutes trying it. The radio as it is now is SO incredibly frustrating to use with my iPhone 3GS (running iOS 4.3.5) that I'm willing to give it a try. I just don't want to damage or brick my radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Even if you just tried the update you wouldn't brick the radio or do any daamage at all, if the SW is the 43.1.30 level all that will happen is about 5 minutes or so into the re flash you will hear an error message saying "archive is not compatible with this module"
Thanks! That is what I wanted to know. I was ok opening up the glove box because it was pretty easy. Opening up the HVAC control head sounds a bit more involved!

I'll give the update a try using the small car file since the Avenger and 200 almost the same car. I'll be sure to let you know if it works or if I will be helping you test the 43.1.30 update! :)

Thanks again to you and mrjeep for all your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good news and bad news

I'll be sure to let you know if it works or if I will be helping you test the 43.1.30 update!
The good news is it worked. The bad news is I won't be able to help you test the 43.1.30 update.

The bluetooth streaming now works well without the skipping and with the iphone screen on. I can now play tracks on the iphone, and choose to route the audio though the phone or through uconnect. I can change songs on the iphone and it continues to route it though uconnect. Very slick integration.

The other problem I was experiencing was when I plugged the iphone into the USB port under the HVAC controls (vs the one on the 430 (RBZ) radio itself). 99 times out of a 100 after displaying the message "Reading" for about a minute, it would say "Error Encountered" and the 'ipod' would not be usable via the radio.

Now, it still takes longer than I would expect to get past the "Reading" message, but it appears to now always connect to the radio. This allows me to look through my play lists, play tracks, see the ID3 tags of songs playing etc.

I'll keep playing with this part of it over the next few days to see how reliable it is. But already it seems "more complete" then it did before.

In case you need to know, I'm using an iPhone 3GS running the just updated iOS version 4.3.5 (8L1). The Avenger is a 2011 with a MDH of 031613 and the 430 unit is a RBZ radio running the following software versions (application 20.02.01, audio CPU 081910).

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well that's all good news. I'm glad it worked out for you. The reading of the information is time relative to the iPhone and not the Uconnect. Apple send Uconnect the information to use and the timing can be different depending on the how much material that you have in the iPod section. I have also seen where if it seemed longer at times than others, if you do a soft reset of the iPod / iPhone by pressing the sleep button on top and the wake button on the lower face (round impression) at the same time till the Apple shows up this sometimes helps. Thanks again for help.

The good news is it worked. The bad news is I won't be able to help you test the 43.1.30 update.

The bluetooth streaming now works well without the skipping and with the iphone screen on. I can now play tracks on the iphone, and choose to route the audio though the phone or through uconnect. I can change songs on the iphone and it continues to route it though uconnect. Very slick integration.

The other problem I was experiencing was when I plugged the iphone into the USB port under the HVAC controls (vs the one on the 430 (RBZ) radio itself). 99 times out of a 100 after displaying the message "Reading" for about a minute, it would say "Error Encountered" and the 'ipod' would not be usable via the radio.

Now, it still takes longer than I would expect to get past the "Reading" message, but it appears to now always connect to the radio. This allows me to look through my play lists, play tracks, see the ID3 tags of songs playing etc.

I'll keep playing with this part of it over the next few days to see how reliable it is. But already it seems "more complete" then it did before.

In case you need to know, I'm using an iPhone 3GS running the just updated iOS version 4.3.5 (8L1). The Avenger is a 2011 with a MDH of 031613 and the 430 unit is a RBZ radio running the following software versions (application 20.02.01, audio CPU 081910).

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I had the dealer to the update for me (before I read this thread). Everything works well now in my 430N, except for the following:

If I link Bluetooth UConnect for my iPhone and ALSO connect my iPhone to the USB jack to play songs over the iPod, it will not allow both to occur at the same time.

I believe this is a limitation of the iPhone (or I have a setting wrong) because I can connect my iPod Nano to the USB port and have my iPhone linked Bluetooth to Uconnect, and the 430N plays nice with both of them.

Can anyone verify that the iPhone 3GS cannot be connected to Bluetooth (Uconnect phone) and USB (iPod streaming) at the same time?

Thx

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello Heminator,
This does not sound correct. I will look into it and get back to you. May I ask what SW is on the iPhone?
Also please let me fully understand what you are doing. My understanding is that you have:
1) paired the iPhone 3 to the Uconnect system and would like the BT connection to be used for calls,
2) After had paired the phone you now want to plug the iPhone into the USB / iPod cable for your music. The reason probably for this method is to keep your battery charged and also better sound quality. (is this correct)
3) You now can only do 1 or the other, use the phone for calls or the iPod section for audio?
Can you explain to me what does happen when you try to use both?
Thank you

I had the dealer to the update for me (before I read this thread). Everything works well now in my 430N, except for the following:

If I link Bluetooth UConnect for my iPhone and ALSO connect my iPhone to the USB jack to play songs over the iPod, it will not allow both to occur at the same time.

I believe this is a limitation of the iPhone (or I have a setting wrong) because I can connect my iPod Nano to the USB port and have my iPhone linked Bluetooth to Uconnect, and the 430N plays nice with both of them.

Can anyone verify that the iPhone 3GS cannot be connected to Bluetooth (Uconnect phone) and USB (iPod streaming) at the same time?

Thx

·
Registered
362 Posts
Okay, I have had good luck with the 43.1.30 SW update and will have mrjeep post it on the hosting site later today. The instructions will be the same as they were for the previous update for TSB# 08-036-11. You are actually receiving this update before the dealerships are because if they got the update first, they would have to wait to find the time to validate it and then put it on the Dealer Connect system. So if you have the 43.1.30 SW level don't even bother asking the dealers about it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hello Heminator,
This does not sound correct. I will look into it and get back to you. May I ask what SW is on the iPhone?
Also please let me fully understand what you are doing. My understanding is that you have:
1) paired the iPhone 3 to the Uconnect system and would like the BT connection to be used for calls,
2) After had paired the phone you now want to plug the iPhone into the USB / iPod cable for your music. The reason probably for this method is to keep your battery charged and also better sound quality. (is this correct)
3) You now can only do 1 or the other, use the phone for calls or the iPod section for audio?
Can you explain to me what does happen when you try to use both?
Thank you

Thanks for the reply.

You are correct - I wanted the BT UConnect phone, the USB dock for charging, and the USB dock for highest quality digital streaming (and it is by far the best audio quality of any available option).

When I enter the car, the iPhone 3GS automatically pairs via BT with Uconnect. And hands free calling works just fine.

When I connect the iPhone 3GS to the USB dock, it reads the iPod menu and all of the songs and tracks/titles load properly. But when I hit play, it starts to play a song and then freezes after 2 seconds.

Disabling BT on the iPhone 3GS (which disables UConnect of course) then allows the iPhone iPod to play just fine over the USB dock.

So I can't have iPhone paired to UConnect via BT and have the iPhone iPod USB dock connected at the same time. It seems the iPhone isn't capable of doing both and the BT connection seems to have precedence/priority.

I don't think this is a 430N issue, because if I connect my iPod Nano to the USB dock, it works fine while my iPhone 3GS is paired via BT to UConnect. The 430N will mute and pause the iPod Nanao audio track when making calls, and then it will resume playing after the call is completed, so it's behaving exactly as I would have expected.

The firmware on my iPhone 3GS is up to date: 4.3.4 (8K2)

·
Registered
362 Posts
This is weird, I thought I posted back on this issue yesterday. MAybe I didn't hit the submit button. It was 1 of those days at ork.
Have you tried a soft reset of the phone? (hold down the power button and the wake button below on the face of the phone till the apple comes up and then release).
Also, how old is the iphone3? If it's not a new one then, when you plug the iPod cable into it and the "accessory connected" screen comes up, right below it, is there a message showing "dock connector", if so tap on it and a menu box should come up giving 2 selections:
1) dock connector
2) Uconnect
select Uconnect. If this is what you see and you made the "Uconnect" selection does it work the way you want it too.
Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

You are correct - I wanted the BT UConnect phone, the USB dock for charging, and the USB dock for highest quality digital streaming (and it is by far the best audio quality of any available option).

When I enter the car, the iPhone 3GS automatically pairs via BT with Uconnect. And hands free calling works just fine.

When I connect the iPhone 3GS to the USB dock, it reads the iPod menu and all of the songs and tracks/titles load properly. But when I hit play, it starts to play a song and then freezes after 2 seconds.

Disabling BT on the iPhone 3GS (which disables UConnect of course) then allows the iPhone iPod to play just fine over the USB dock.

So I can't have iPhone paired to UConnect via BT and have the iPhone iPod USB dock connected at the same time. It seems the iPhone isn't capable of doing both and the BT connection seems to have precedence/priority.

I don't think this is a 430N issue, because if I connect my iPod Nano to the USB dock, it works fine while my iPhone 3GS is paired via BT to UConnect. The 430N will mute and pause the iPod Nanao audio track when making calls, and then it will resume playing after the call is completed, so it's behaving exactly as I would have expected.

The firmware on my iPhone 3GS is up to date: 4.3.4 (8K2)

41 - 60 of 207 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.