Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
2018 Billet Silver SRT 392 (1 of 2)
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my SRT 392 has landed at my dealership. It's arrived less than a month from me ordering the car - unbelievable. Plus, I live in Arizona so that was a long train ride! My salesman called and said, "Come on down!" I was super-tempted but decided to wait until tomorrow as it'll be dark soon. I voiced this to him and he understood, though he did say the car would be in a well-lit bay for delivery. I still said I'd rather pick it up in daylight because I need to closely inspect it. I realize if I don't catch a ding, dent or imperfection while I'm there and then do later on when I'm home, they most likely won't take responsibility (I actually see their point - they don't know what happens to a car once it's been driven off their lot).

So, I guess I'm asking if I'm making the correct decision? What are your thoughts on the best time of day to pick up a shiny new Challenger?

saint 0:)

Registered
You wont sleep tonight... Even so, i say wait until daylight. Pick it over with a fine-toothed comb!

If i ever get to the point in my life where im able to order a brand new vehicle of this magnitude, I have always thought i would make the deal with the dealership along the lines of "if this vehicle has more than 6 miles on it, i wont buy it"...

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I agree - I'm 55 and have never ordered a car before so this is a very special occasion. I'll remember to bring my magnifying glass!

Premium Member
Absolutely wait until daylight. I once bought a Mustang at night. I saw what I thought was over spray on the left fender from stuff they used to spray on even new engines to make everything shine. Next day I discovered it was severe pitting in the paint. Also due to the rush of closing time, I didn't notice the new spare tire was flat and the radio did not work. Hell of a PDI on that one. Had a friend who ordered a car from overseas and picked it up at night when he got stateside. Drove a couple hours home. Next morning noticed it had been wrecked. Dealership told him too bad, so sad. Never buy at night.
BTW, which dealership? If it's in Phoenix please let me know your experience since I usually go up there to buy rather than here in Tucson.

Registered
Of course wait till day to look at the car. What kind of question was that? I even made sure I looked at my wife in the daylight on our first date.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
If that's your wife in your avatar, I'll listen to any advice you have for me.

Premium Member
You might want to look at it both inside and out. I had dust in the paint on every panel on my last SP and it was much easier to see inside under garage lighting.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely wait until daylight. I once bought a Mustang at night. I saw what I thought was over spray on the left fender from stuff they used to spray on even new engines to make everything shine. Next day I discovered it was severe pitting in the paint. Also due to the rush of closing time, I didn't notice the new spare tire was flat and the radio did not work. Hell of a PDI on that one. Had a friend who ordered a car from overseas and picked it up at night when he got stateside. Drove a couple hours home. Next morning noticed it had been wrecked. Dealership told him too bad, so sad. Never buy at night.
BTW, which dealership? If it's in Phoenix please let me know your experience since I usually go up there to buy rather than here in Tucson.
Sure. I'm dealing with Earnhardt's in Gilbert. I'll let you know how it all goes tomorrow.

Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
Congratulations! I'd pick it up in the daytime too. Hopefully, it goes well for you. :)

Premium Member
Daylight of course

Well, my SRT 392 has landed at my dealership. It's arrived less than a month from me ordering the car - unbelievable. Plus, I live in Arizona so that was a long train ride! My salesman called and said, "Come on down!" I was super-tempted but decided to wait until tomorrow as it'll be dark soon. I voiced this to him and he understood, though he did say the car would be in a well-lit bay for delivery. I still said I'd rather pick it up in daylight because I need to closely inspect it. I realize if I don't catch a ding, dent or imperfection while I'm there and then do later on when I'm home, they most likely won't take responsibility (I actually see their point - they don't know what happens to a car once it's been driven off their lot).

So, I guess I'm asking if I'm making the correct decision? What are your thoughts on the best time of day to pick up a shiny new Challenger?

When I went to pick up my CAT, it's was on the floor as soon as you walk in. :thumbsup:

Attachments

Registered
Only take delivery in the daylight. I picked up a new Mercedes E Class last December... Mistake. Ding in rear bumper that I didn't notice - I would not have taken delivery. And I haven't bothered to have it fixed because I am sure the repair will look worse than the ding - but it always bothers me when the light catches it just right.

Registered
I ordered my 14 RT M6 in August, got it just after Christmas. Picked it up at night because I was so excited.

Hadn't noticed the "mystery" dents on the roof.

Still happy with it, but better in the day time or in a well lit area. Not in the parking lot at night.

Registered
And don't sign ANYTHING until you have totally inspected and driven the car on a nice drive including the highway at 80 mph to check for pull or vibration or brake shimmy. Once you sign you have accepted the car and any issues are now yours and the dealer will work on it at his convenience and maybe not ever get it right.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
Absolutely the right thing to do. The car will look great under the lights. Sunlight will light the car correctly to see any defects from any angle, etc. One more night to wait for a car you will hopefully have a long time is prudent. A Guy

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, everyone - all excellent advice. I'm leaving to pick it up in an hour and will go armed with all the knowledge you've bestowed upon me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the delivery inspection and test drive all went well. Another fine product out of Brampton! It's hard to imagine in my feeble mind that this object didn't even exist a month ago. I ordered on October 23 and have it in my garage on November 18!

I'm still trying to get used to the new wheels for the SRT 392. I really love those Hyperblacks but these aren't bad either. I have a feeling they'll be a lot easier to clean.

I already did my first "mod" - I swapped out the chrome gas cap to the satin black (pictures taken before the swap). It was so easy that I may just change them back and forth according to my mood (or maybe to match whatever shoes I'm wearing!). :wink3:

Here are the pictures to prove it really happened!

Attachments

Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
Congratulations :thumbsup: Looks great ;)

A Guy

Reactions: saint

Registered
Looks great. I love the Hyperblacks too, maybe you could try the Nano Steel look, they look good with the Billet.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts