Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this happened to me today: I'm just done loading groceries into my car when I spot a gorgeous 1970 Mach 1 Ford Mustang parked in the lot. First time I've seen one like that. As I walk over to check it out a little more, the owner comes around and hops in. Just when he starts the engine and drives off the parking lot, I can't help but be completely stunned at how full and raw the exhaust sounds even while the car is just slowly rolling off the parking lot ...

I like how my 2016 SPS sounds when I get on the gas, it's great, but this was definitely something else. Simply beautiful! Maybe just because I never had the privilege to own one of the original muscle cars. I liked especially how at idle and slow cruise the exhaust sound was there, strong, instead of being pretty much muted like in my SPS.

My question is: Is there ANY way that I could modify the exhaust of my SPS to sound anything like that. Especially at idle and slow cruise I would appreciate if it had more noise. Could a mid-muffler delete potentially help here?

Tim

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
I find generally the sound that speaks to me is the loping idle of a cam. Exhaust alone wouldn't give you that. Most of the muscle cars had high lift cams. The Dynomax mini bullets have a good sound at idle, it just won't set off car alarms like a muscle car of old would ;)

A Guy

Reactions: sctm81 and Fawls

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find generally the sound that speaks to me is the loping idle of a cam. Exhaust alone wouldn't give you that. Most of the muscle cars had high lift cams. The Dynomax mini bullets have a good sound at idle, it just won't set off car alarms like a muscle car of old would ;)

A Guy
nice. Will have to look into that.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take off your factory mufflers and resonators and install some Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.
How would those compare to the mini bullets? And would it also work with the stock resonators?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
How would those compare to the mini bullets? And would it also work with the stock resonators?
They are an extremely common muffler on older muscle cars, I don't know how they would sound with resonators. I never ran resonators on any of my old muscle cars.

On my most recent, old car, 1968 340 Formula S, I ran Dynomax Ultra Flows. They are a straight through muffler. They would be a good choice for the old school sound. Run the largest size that will fit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Putting a H-pipe in place of the X-pipe should help also, I really like the sound of the H-pipe better, more old school muscle car sounding.

Reactions: Fawls

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The 392 cam is high lift, it's the lobe separation angle of a cam that gives lope, and new cars with their great emissions cannot have that like old cars do :( But hey, those old cars can only dream of having our performance and reliability :)

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I've found that the chambered style Flowmaster mufflers sound the closest to the old big block cars. They tend to drone a bit if you don't have any resonators though. I had the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back kit (Flowmaster 40s mufflers) on my 2013 5.7 R/T and it had a nice deep rumble. It was a manual so I could control the drone a bit but it would have sucked with an auto. The stock A8 Scat Packs already more drone than the manual 6.4Ls.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have Dyno max mini bullet mufflers in place of my mid mufflers on my SPS. You will like the way your car will sound with that setup, if its not enough remove the resonators or add long tube headers.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've found that the chambered style Flowmaster mufflers sound the closest to the old big block cars. They tend to drone a bit if you don't have any resonators though. I had the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back kit (Flowmaster 40s mufflers) on my 2013 5.7 R/T and it had a nice deep rumble. It was a manual so I could control the drone a bit but it would have sucked with an auto. The stock A8 Scat Packs already more drone than the manual 6.4Ls.
Yeah, mine is the A8, so that probably wouldn't work .... Drone isn't bad at all with stock though but I could see it getting annoying if magnified.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Flowmaster Super 10's on my car, love the sound. I have zero drone. Even in 6th on the Interstate. Maybe different in a A8 car.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have Dyno max mini bullet mufflers in place of my mid mufflers on my SPS. You will like the way your car will sound with that setup, if its not enough remove the resonators or add long tube headers.
Sounds like a nice economical solution! Do you have the M6 or A8 version? Any unwanted drone compared to stock?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the Flowmaster Super 10's on my car, love the sound. I have zero drone. Even in 6th on the Interstate. Maybe different in a A8 car.
So how does it sound compared to the stock sound?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
This is the sound in my head, not achievable without a cam though :D

if you aren't modding the engine, just the exhaust, the suggestions here are good. A Guy

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like a nice economical solution! Do you have the M6 or A8 version? Any unwanted drone compared to stock?
A8 & zero drone. Normal driving conditions will sound only slightly louder then stock with the windows rolled up. Cold start up has a noticeably louder 'bark'. Sport mode and a heavy foot will awake the dead resting peacefully 6 feet under with loud crackles and pops.

Keep in mind if you go with a cam setup it will give you that great 'chug chug chug' sound but cost of parts, installation, tune, etc comes with that great sound.

Check out this video I watched it countless times before doing it myself, this person also has some other great videos on this setup his youtube channel along with other Challenger related videos.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A8 & zero drone. Normal driving conditions will sound only slightly louder then stock with the windows rolled up. Cold start up has a noticeably louder 'bark'. Sport mode and a heavy foot will awake the dead resting peacefully 6 feet under with loud crackles and pops.

Keep in mind if you go with a cam setup it will give you that great 'chug chug chug' sound but cost of parts, installation, tune, etc comes with that great sound.

Check out this video I watched it countless times before doing it myself, this person also has some other great videos on this setup his youtube channel along with other Challenger related videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwGVkfS-VX0
NICE. That actually does sound quite glorious on its own. Maybe a decent solution to bridge the gap until the powertrain warranty expires and the time for the cam has arrived :smile:

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
This is the sound in my head, not achievable without a cam though :D

if you aren't modding the engine, just the exhaust, the suggestions here are good. A Guy
the white one is the sound I am looking for..... Just can't justify the price to put that in my 2015 for sound....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts