Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2012 rt, but am not crazy about my leather seats. I like the way they looked, but it feels like you seat on them, not in them. If that makes sense. It has been my daily driver for the past five years, but the seats still feel hard. Has anyone found a way to make them feel more contoured and comfortable?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have sat in a 2015 - 2018 mustang and they do have nice supportive seats. However, I was looking for a cheaper solution. LOL
Missed the joke.

Sitting in (and driving) a Mustang is like driving one of those little go-carts and the Fast 'n' Fun park, after you've been in a Challenger. Rides like a buck-board and feels like a sardine can. All that sexy styling can't make up for the shitty ride and poor comfort. At least it's not a Camaro which is just shitty all around.

All kidding aside. I have the Radar Red leather seats in my 13 R/T classic. I drive it 72 miles a day (March to November) and make a 2400 mile (round trip) from PA to FLA every summer....last year did 1200 miles in under 17 hours. Would never have been able to stand that much seat time in any other car. I'm 5' 10, 260 and my R/T seats are as comfortable as my easy chair.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Not sure how different R/T and R/T Classic seats may have been in '12 and '13. Mine has multiple power movements Up/Down/In/Out/Recline as well as a power lumbar support that moves up/down/in/out.

If yours doesn't have all of these adjustments, maybe adding the high-end power seat is all you need.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Find a 04-08 Volvo S60R and take those fronts. Sure there would be some wiring issues, but you will NEVER find a more comfortable seat than that one. I'm not kidding, that seat is amazing!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Not sure how different R/T and R/T Classic seats may have been in '12 and '13. Mine has multiple power movements Up/Down/In/Out/Recline as well as a power lumbar support that moves up/down/in/out.

If yours doesn't have all of these adjustments, maybe adding the high-end power seat is all you need.
The seats in '12 / '13 R/T - C models were the same seat.

The '14 R/T - C went to the similar seat that SRT models have (deeper bolsters)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The seats in '12 / '13 R/T - C models were the same seat.

The '14 R/T - C went to the similar seat that SRT models have (deeper bolsters)
Interesting how two guys with the same seat can have this much different opinion. I understand subjective things like "how many doors can a muscle car have", or "how ugly is that mustang", but one would think that where the posterior hits the upholstery, there would be more consistent consensus.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
I'm pretty sure the MOPAR God will strike you dead, if you put Volvo seats in a Challenger.

Ha! Maybe, but at least my ass wouldn't hurt on a 500 mile drive!! :grin2:

Surprisingly the Alcantara and Sepia colors are very close. Volvo leather quality was better tho. Now days who knows with the Chinese in control.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Ha! Maybe, but at least my ass wouldn't hurt on a 500 mile drive!! :grin2:

Surprisingly the Alcantara and Sepia colors are very close. Volvo leather quality was better tho. Now days who knows with the Chinese in control.
Elmo is the leather supplier of Laguna Leather (Swedish company) - probably supplies Volvo as well, since their plants are in Sweden.

The non SRT seats use Nappa leather for those applicatons (SXT +, R/T +, Leather / alcantara seats for SP, T/A and SRT Alcanatara / leather seats).

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Interesting how two guys with the same seat can have this much different opinion. I understand subjective things like "how many doors can a muscle car have", or "how ugly is that mustang", but one would think that where the posterior hits the upholstery, there would be more consistent consensus.
There's differences with the seats.

The '09/'10 non-SRT seats had a fair amount give to the cushion

'11-'14 non-SRT seats had some changes, mainly better leather (Nappa)

The '15+ leather seats have much firmer padding; I notice that you sit 1" of higher since the foam doesn't compress as readily.

The larger bolsters on Performance seats (R/T-C, SP, SRT) do hold you in more and being firmer they don't give and feel like you're moving around in them.

You don't feel like you're sitting "on top" of the seat like the earlier years models that had the smaller (non-SRT) seats)

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
I wonder if an upholstery shop could trim down the center section of foam in the seat and replace it with something a little softer ?
It would be possible - the bottom cushion is a foam pad. A shop could remove some material and put layers of varying density foam for a more compliant cushion.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I have sat in a 2015 - 2018 mustang and they do have nice supportive seats. However, I was looking for a cheaper solution. LOL
A shot over the bow!

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
495 Posts
I know exactly what the OP is talking about.

The seats in my 2015 SRT are much better than what was in my 2011 R/T Classic.

And neither of the Challenger's seats are as good as what Holden/Pontiac had in my 2005 GTO. Those were the perfect balance of bolster and cush.

When I had my '11 R/T-C; I also considered having an upholstery shop alter the type of foam under the leather.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,912 Posts

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts