Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '17 Challenger SP and was wondering if it's possible to siphon gas out of the tank? I'd like access to it in case of an emergency to power a generator.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Should be a rollover valve in the tank so will make it difficult if not impossible to get a hose down in there. Maybe if it's a small hard plastic hose it can be done but never tried.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I tried doing that with my '09 Challenger. No dice. Not even a drop.

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day trying to remember why I was even trying to siphon from the tank. :headbang:

OH, I remember now. I just put a new carburetor on my 1970 Challenger. I had the old mechanical fuel pump on the car. I didn't want the car to crank forever, so I wanted to put some fuel in the fuel bowls. I tried to siphon my '09 Challenger's gas tank for a cup, I lost that battle.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've got a '17 Challenger SP and was wondering if it's possible to siphon gas out of the tank? I'd like access to it in case of an emergency to power a generator.

Thanks, Dave
In an emergency, I wouldn't hesitate to poke a hole in the tank.
But I'd much rather be prepared enough for an emergency that I had other, readily accessible, fuel on hand.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,951 Posts

Thanks, Dave
Yes, if it's done under the rear seat, and a special wrench is necessary to open the tank

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
In an emergency, I wouldn't hesitate to poke a hole in the tank.
But I'd much rather be prepared enough for an emergency that I had other, readily accessible, fuel on hand.
Why not just unclamp the filler hose at the bottom of the tank?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Yes, if it's done under the rear seat, and a special wrench is necessary to open the tank
Better make sure you have about only 1/4 (forgot the exact number) tank otherwise it will spew fuel through the fuel hat opening. Plus all that vapor makes for a very scary situation.

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
How about a few 5 gallon cans full of fuel and leave the car alone? I keep 5 on hand and rotate them out through the lawnmower. The generator is always full and has Stabil in it and that too gets replaced every 6 months. Do as you wish but why would damage the car? My generator also can run on propane if needed.

Clint

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Or get a conversion so you can run gasoline or propane/natural gas. Then you don't have to worry about running out of gas or worse, bad gas corroding the carb.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
I tried doing that with my '09 Challenger. No dice. Not even a drop.

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day trying to remember why I was even trying to siphon from the tank. :headbang:
Yup you were right, even the chilton manuals says no go. There is a drain procedure that must be performed through the fuel lines to get the tank down to 5/8 when servicing the fuel pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
How about a few 5 gallon cans full of fuel and leave the car alone? I keep 5 on hand and rotate them out through the lawnmower. The generator is always full and has Stabil in it and that too gets replaced every 6 months. Do as you wish but why would damage the car? My generator also can run on propane if needed.

Clint
That's my preferred method, too. I generally have five or six gas cans around, plus 100-200 gallons in a tank.
It's almost impossible to predict emergencies, but fairly easy to prepare for many of them.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
We stay prepared at our house and even have 520 watts of solar on our RV. We always have storms this time of year in Texas. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Was without electricity for 4 weeks once after a hurricane but I was prepared so impact was minimal on us and the solar in the RV worked great!!!

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,951 Posts
Better make sure you have about only 1/4 (forgot the exact number) tank otherwise it will spew fuel through the fuel hat opening. Plus all that vapor makes for a very scary situation.
I had to open mine with a full tank. I had just filled up, and my Challenger wouldn't start, so I had it towed home. I knew what was going to happen when I opened it, so I prepared everything as well as I could before doing so, including having a water hose within an arm's reach if I needed it. The gas came gushing out when I opened it, but none of it got in the interior of my car as it all went on the ground underneath. Then I had to siphon off enough gas to be able work on it. The problem turned out to be wiring on the fuel hat, which was easy to fix once I got to it. I don't ever want to go through that again.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
I had to open mine with a full tank. I had just filled up, and my Challenger wouldn't start, so I had it towed home. I knew what was going to happen when I opened it, so I prepared everything as well as I could before doing so, including having a water hose within an arm's reach if I needed it. The gas came gushing out when I opened it, but none of it got in the interior of my car as it all went on the ground underneath. Then I had to siphon off enough gas to be able work on it. The problem turned out to be wiring on the fuel hat, which was easy to fix once I got to it. I don't ever want to go through that again.
Yup, had a similar situation when I swapped out the fuel pump but I had just under 1/2 tank...manual says should be below 5/8. I figured 1/2 is less than 5/8 so all was good....wrong! Opened the fuel hat and fuel pooled up around the fuel pump lock ring. Kinda caught me by surprise. Siphoned off 5 gallons and there was still quite a bit in the tank. Did all this outside with car doors wide open (battery disconnected) with a fire extinguish inside and outside the car. From now on, if I need to remove fuel, I am doing it from the line that supplies the fuel rail (have an extra inline fuel pump for the occasion).

BTW that special tool to remove the pump lock ring makes things way easier and safer. I have seen vids of guys using screwdrivers and a hammer to take the ring off...big no no!

https://vimeo.com/339239638

1 - 20 of 20 Posts