Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, it's actually sacrilege to badge any modern Mopar as a 426 Hemi if it ain't got a bunch of plug wires coming out of the valve cover! Since many of the new builds are not really 426 cid is there anything wrong with calling it such? I'm not much for a lot of badging, but I'm looking to replace my goat head and was thinking that 419 Hemi doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
what 419?...........

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I intend to leave my 446ci badged as a 6.1 .:up_to_something::up_to_something: So I say anything goes !

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
It wouldn't make a sh1t to most people really, and the ones it does offend you could always tell em to go fly a kite.

But for me if I had a 419 I would be proud as he11 that it was something that not allot of others had. Revel in the fact that your one of very few, that's what I would do.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Very few engines are exactly what they are labelled, I say go for it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The 6.1 is actually a 6.0 if that helps.

Considering 90% of the stroker owners actually have 419s and 423s and yet almost all of them call them a 426 I say do what makes you happy.

Btw, your motor will be there tomorrow I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I think they were going to deliver yesterday, but had an issue with the truck liftgate, so it'll be today. Can't wait to check it out!

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Chuck all joking aside, what GA has posted up would look pretty sick on your car. May want to go with those. Hell if I can put 426 badges from a 65-67 Coronet on mine, you should put whatever you want on yours. As for the ram badge in the front, if you go with the 426 badges elsewhere, and I believe those call for two, one on each side, then no doubling up in a different place on the displacement figgers. Pick another image for the ram shield imo. if you're not going to keep the ram. As the installing shop might correctly, say, "too much of that stuff and it looks like the JC Whitney catalog exploded on your car. I know you'll never get there, but maybe a Mopar "M" or something else. Not too familiar with shield choices, never had to shop for one. Good luck with delivery and matching the badges with the powerplant.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, my thoughts on badging is always "less is more". If I do a 426 to replace the goat, that'll be it. I'll likely just do a Mopar logo there and something where the 6.1 resides. Then I plan on putting something on some BT coil pack covers under the bonnet along with some other dress up in black, as I like the BT stuff for the clean look, but I'm not into bling or skulls or flames or such. Though I love looking at it in others' rides!

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Actually, my thoughts on badging is always "less is more". If I do a 426 to replace the goat, that'll be it. I'll likely just do a Mopar logo there and something where the 6.1 resides. Then I plan on putting something on some BT coil pack covers under the bonnet along with some other dress up in black, as I like the BT stuff for the clean look, but I'm not into bling or skulls or flames or such. Though I love looking at it in others' rides!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
Bayou - you asked - here's my view

if the motor is NOT 426 ci - don't label it as such

if I was you I would think about using your dyno hp and get Nate or someone to make a badge saying "XXXhp HEMI" -THAT would set people back :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well I guess we will really make the old dogs mad. I have an original " cuda' " badge for the rear and 426 Hemi badge for the shaker. Yes its only 423ci but add the 3.6 to the total and you get 9.7liter:bigthumb: That would make for some interesting head turning with a 9.7 liter or 9700cc badge on your car:bigthumb:I can see it now:scratchhead::notallthere::guiness:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Calling a 419 cu.in. motor a 426 is just inaccurate. It's your car, call it anything you want - 570 cu.in if you wish.
According to my build sheet from Stu (Inertia Motorsports), using 4 significant digits the displacement is 418.5 cu.in. Knowing that it is typical that car makers round up all fractions of a cu.in., it would be correct to call my 418.5 cu.in motor a 419.

As to the 6.1L, the bore and stroke calculates to 369.9 (4 significant digits). Using the conversion of cu.in. to liters the 6.1L motor is actually 6.061 liters.

Knowing that my stroker motor is 418.5 cu.in., I had MoPower build me two custom 419 HEMI badges that are on the scoops of the hood on my Magnum.

(I also have 345 HEMI badges on the scoops of my Challenger)

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Arrington uses a big bore 426. I have a big bore engine 426 when ordering my parts from PWR I asked for that combo but PWR don't like to use big bore cylinders.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't see a ton wrong with it, my father's 85' Vette had 420 small block built by Lingenfelter and he stuck 427 on the raised cowl hood.

I use my dad's cars in a lot of my posts don't I? Why don't I have all this cool stuff!?

LOL I gave it up when I got married and got into computers.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Mathmatically 426 does not equal 419, but who cares about math. Personally BT, I like the idea of the 419 badge. It is unique and different.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I too like the idea of a 419 badge. It's unique and accurate to the motor size.

However, you also have a 3.0L blower on there in essence making your motor like a 9.9L motor hahaha.

I'm like you and not real big on badging this car. I stuck a "supercharged" emblem on my 4Runner because people don't expect that, but on the Challenger I decided against it.

The only badge I have on mine is on the rear passenger side deck lid. It says "Arrington Powered".

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Buckwheat has a 4.08 bore x 4.08 stroke. I remember him wanting the 426 cubes and even though I advised against, he knew what he wanted and thats what we went with. His is 426.6 cubic inches.

Bayou Tiger: 419.3ci
Archtaan: 422.4ci
BMWdon: 393.9ci

Rule of thumb is 1 hp per ci. In a boosted car, I would rather run the smaller 4.06" bore and maintain maximum cylinder wall thickness and give up the 4 cubes that a 4.08" bore would provide.

My motor is the exact same displacement as Bayou Tigers, but I choose to call is a 419 to be different.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts