Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Are you asking that question of the forum, or just posting for discussion? Based on your post count I'm guessing you aren't personally looking for feedback.

·
Super Moderator
15,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just posting for discussion. Do you guys agree with Racer X's assertions? He is basically saying that the 3.6 is a great cruising but not a performance engine. Simple mods are okay, like a cold air intake, headers and possibly porting. However, digging into the engine and doing stuff like replacing the four cams, or adding a supercharger, would be extremely costly and could affect engine reliability. If performance is desired, it would be cheaper to buy a 5.7L R/T.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
My personal opinion. I wish people, including the guy in the video, didn't stage it as either "right or wrong". "good or bad". It's never so black and white, and 90% opinion based. I think people need to clearly understand what their end goal is, I believe that is most important part to have in your mind.

Few people actually want only the most possible power with the least amount of money. Otherwise this is not the car would be driving. There is a spectrum of wants. Comfort, Power, size, looks, ability to mod, brand preference.

If you are throwing money at something with no plan, no it's not likely to end up in your favor. You will be that guy saying I threw five grand at my 5.7 and still getting beat by stock 6.4s, and they are all upset about it and blame the car, then the car gets its feelings hurt. Rude. Had you known your end goal, you would have known the result.

Personally, my first real mod likely will be a stroker. It will be down the road, and may never even come to fruition. Maybe I could swing a hellcat at that point, maybe not. But I love my car as is, and can't get a shaker on a hellcat. That is my opinion alone, and likely nobody agrees with me, which goes back to my point which is that my end goal isn't to beat hellcat for less money. I just think it is stupid cool to have a 426 hemi stroker, knowing I won't be beating hellcats. And I am fine with that. So much of these cars is cool factor.

And, if I really wanted to make the money argument, I still could likely do that within reason. I paid 37k for my new scat. Say 42ish out the door (taxes and such). "used hellcats could be had for low 50s". OK well, misleading statement, because my car wasn't used. OK, 60+ for a new hellcat, not sure what they actually go for. I could do a whole Lotta mods for that 20k difference. I haven't done the math, because that isn't my end goal, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could beat a hellcat with 20k+ in the motor and drive train of a 6.4. Plus what I am guessing is a real bump in insurance costs. Would a car with 20k in mods be as reliable? Nope. There is no one answer that works for everyone.

Anyway. That's my thoughts. I wish people didn't deal in absolutes so often.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Just posting for discussion. Do you guys agree with Racer X's assertions? He is basically saying that the 3.6 is a great cruising but not a performance engine. Simple mods are okay, like a cold air intake, headers and possibly porting. However, digging into the engine and doing stuff like replacing the four cams, or adding a supercharger, would be extremely costly and could affect engine reliability. If performance is desired, it would be cheaper to buy a 5.7L R/T.
If performance on a budget is the goal, I would agree that the 6 isn't the way to go. But, I think there are a handful of people who would like to pump up a v6 and make a sleeper out of it. Likely not many people, but they are out there. But no, you won't do it affordably. But a well tuned super charged 6 I think would beat stock scat packs wouldn't it? Nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
. I wish people didn't deal in absolutes so often.
Only a sith deals in absolutes.
Sorry I just watched the movie last night, I had to.

I think the biggest issue with modding the 3.6 is a lot of the time it's someone who couldn't afford a V8 but they wanna make their car as fast as the hemi. There's nothing wrong with modding the 3.6 as long as you're reasoning isn't to make it compete with the hemi you couldn't afford, because to make the 3.6 competed you gotta spend more money than a 5.7 or even 392 would cost, and you lose the warranty on the v6 as well as reliability from added HP. Not to mention smaller brakes, suspension, drivetrain, blah blah blah.

I may be biased but I still think if you wanna build a car on a budget the 5.7 is the best option in dodges lineup. It comes with many of the same drivetrain components as the 392, it can take 8lbs boost all day reliably, has the V8 sound, good amount of aftermarket support, etc all for a price not much higher than the 3.6 (usually)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Only reason I spent the coin to drop a 426 stroker in my ’15 SRT392 is I wanted something unique. I love the car so was a no brainer for me. Otherwise a Cat for sure would have been in the cards.

The disease continues. Getting ready to add an F1x Procharger to the mix which also comes with upgrading the HP70 trans. Still staying unique though :)

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Only reason I spent the coin to drop a 426 stroker in my ’15 SRT392 is I wanted something unique. I love the car so was a no brainer for me. Otherwise a Cat for sure would have been in the cards.

The disease continues. Getting ready to add an F1x Procharger to the mix which also comes with upgrading the HP70 trans. Still staying unique though :)
This is my train of thought. Doesn't have to make sense. Just make sense to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think we all were there when we could not afford the car we really wanted(or most of us}
Best to tradin your car and buy the Challenger you want and get the Power Dollars among a few more rebates.Too me adding anything more then a muffler is a waste................JT

·
Super Moderator
17,264 Posts
the 3.6 can't even have headers since there's no external exhaust manifold - its all cast into the head and the head pipe simply bolts to the exhaust port on the head...

and it does bring up the points that if one has the base SXT suspension and brakes (single piston) and the smaller 195mm diff, along with the 8HP45 - adding significant power is going to tax those more meager components.

there's folks that go with putting the centrifugal superchargers on the 3.6, but might ignore the critical items, such as brakes to haul down from speeds that the additional power provides.

In that video of Racer X - the Charger and Challenger are base models (17" wheels) so they have the smaller brakes, differential and the softest rate springs and shocks of all the trim levels

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd only entertain modding the Pentastar in platforms that don't get a Hemi. A blown Wrangler or 3.6L AWD 200c would be impressive. But notsomuch in a Challenger.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Only a sith deals in absolutes.
Sorry I just watched the movie last night, I had to.

I think the biggest issue with modding the 3.6 is a lot of the time it's someone who couldn't afford a V8 but they wanna make their car as fast as the hemi. There's nothing wrong with modding the 3.6 as long as you're reasoning isn't to make it compete with the hemi you couldn't afford, because to make the 3.6 competed you gotta spend more money than a 5.7 or even 392 would cost, and you lose the warranty on the v6 as well as reliability from added HP. Not to mention smaller brakes, suspension, drivetrain, blah blah blah.

I may be biased but I still think if you wanna build a car on a budget the 5.7 is the best option in dodges lineup. It comes with many of the same drivetrain components as the 392, it can take 8lbs boost all day reliably, has the V8 sound, good amount of aftermarket support, etc all for a price not much higher than the 3.6 (usually)
What movie

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
I think we all were there when we could not afford the car we really wanted(or most of us}
Best to tradin your car and buy the Challenger you want and get the Power Dollars among a few more rebates.Too me adding anything more then a muffler is a waste................JT
Exactly. To you that's what works. Personally I think exhaust is a waste unless all you want is sound. Performance has always been minimal, and my car is loud enough stock.

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
105 Posts
As a relatively new challenger owner (just got my 2020 GT in June) I'll throw in a consideration I had that wasn't mentioned yet.

Location - I live in New England and a good chunk of the year isn't very friendly to high HP rear-wheel drive vehicles. AWD was pretty non-negotiable for me. And until there is an AWD V8 (a guy can dream right?) it narrowed down my options quickly.

Location also accounts for my daily commute. 36 miles each way is no joke, so MPG was also kind of in the back of my mind.

Since this is also really my first foray into muscle cars and customization the V6 made a whole lot of sense. I recognize I don't get some of the cool V8 toys like superchargers and shaker packs but that's ok for now. I think my car looks rad, sounds rad and drives like a dream, it's fast enough for me. And I'm not blowing up my budget to get a lot of value.

I think there's a big value proposition to be made for the Pentastar.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's what Grand Cherokees are for. And now that I have a 392 tucked away for the winter I can settle for a well appointed V6 Jeep and still have a reason to wake up for work in the morning.

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
105 Posts
That's what Grand Cherokees are for. And now that I have a 392 tucked away for the winter I can settle for a well appointed V6 Jeep and still have a reason to wake up for work in the morning.
I also don't have the luxury of a garage or capability to invest in two vehicles.

·
Banned
429 Posts
In this video, Racer X discusses the practicality of modding the 3.6L engine.

You might to get in touch with
@Wulf Supercharged
He has V6 AWD supercharged

He also has a thread with this video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
That assumes you want /can afford/have space for both. Many people don't want the hassle of more than one vehicle. Not me, as we also have a grand Cherokee (and a dart and an old ram). But jeez maintenance and insurance adds up on all of them...

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a relatively new challenger owner (just got my 2020 GT in June) I'll throw in a consideration I had that wasn't mentioned yet.

Location - I live in New England and a good chunk of the year isn't very friendly to high HP rear-wheel drive vehicles. AWD was pretty non-negotiable for me. And until there is an AWD V8 (a guy can dream right?) it narrowed down my options quickly.

Location also accounts for my daily commute. 36 miles each way is no joke, so MPG was also kind of in the back of my mind.

Since this is also really my first foray into muscle cars and customization the V6 made a whole lot of sense. I recognize I don't get some of the cool V8 toys like superchargers and shaker packs but that's ok for now. I think my car looks rad, sounds rad and drives like a dream, it's fast enough for me. And I'm not blowing up my budget to get a lot of value.

I think there's a big value proposition to be made for the Pentastar.
I live in Idaho and weather was also a consideration of mine. My 2018 SXT is RWD but with dedicated snow tires (and more years than I care to admit driving RWD cars in the snow} I get around just fine and don't regret it at all. And you are right, it looks and sounds great and doesn't break the bank.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts