Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
358 Posts
Yeah it's worth it if that's what you want but when you get down to modding any car you have to have some deep pockets, when you get to modding the purpose is to have more power, then when you get that power you start breaking drivetrain shit, then it's back to the part store.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,483 Posts
There seems to be a disconnect between what the video’s name (and this thread’s title) implies versus what the majority of the video was dealing with.

I was expecting to hear him lay out the different mods that can be done to a 3.6L car and what performance benefits (if any) could be expected compared to the mod’s cost.

Instead, it was basically just him saying the base trim cars are pretty good daily drivers, and while mods can be done, the serious ones either aren’t worth the money or aren’t advisable due to the decline in reliability that might come along with them.

In an ideal world, I think that video has a title more representative of its content (e.g. ‘Should You Get a Dodge 3.6L Car?’, or ‘Reasons to Choose a Dodge 3.6L Car’), and a different video has this one’s title. One that lays out the costs, difficulty of install, and expected returns of the various performance mods that can be done to a 3.6L powered car.

And I would think such a video would at the very least detail performance mods like:
  • CAI
  • exhaust
  • handheld tuner
  • custom tune
  • LSD rear-end
  • supercharger
  • NOS

But that’s in a perfect world, and I realize we are far from that, so...

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
105 Posts
Agreed. He said "at the end of the day" at least five times and proceeded to repeat the same two or three points over again. Walking that fine click-bait line.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,607 Posts
Only reason I spent the coin to drop a 426 stroker in my ’15 SRT392 is I wanted something unique. I love the car so was a no brainer for me. Otherwise a Cat for sure would have been in the cards.

The disease continues. Getting ready to add an F1x Procharger to the mix which also comes with upgrading the HP70 trans. Still staying unique though :)
The downside there is you'd better Really Love your SRT because you'll never be able to sell it and get your money back. I understand that most mods Might get you a quarter on the dollar (if you're lucky) unless they come from a company with a Stellar reputation.

I'm still learning about Mopar's but do understand GM stuff pretty well and will use Lingenfelter as an example. If you have LPE stuff on your GM, then there is a chance that you could get up to 50% of your money back, but if you're planning on keeping your SRT forever, then Please disregard everything that I just said! :D

By the way, your SRT with the stroker and that F1x is going to be an Absolute BEAST!

My point in my statement above was also directed towards your question too. If you plan on selling your SXT, then unless you just have disposable income, then don't count on getting back what you put in.

I had a 2001 Vette that I put quite a bit of money into modding and when I sold her, I got very little of my mod money back. That was a lesson learned and that won't happen again. If I want something quicker, I'll buy something that I feel was built right and let the seller take the depreciation loss.

Just something to think about.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
His videos are all like that. It's more a "you know nothing about these cars, so let me give you the basics". I didn't watch this one, but would agree if you bought the V6, then proceeded to dump money in to it for performance, you didn't make the right purchase. There are however many reasons for someone to end up with a V6 car, and decide to up the performance. Whether it is worth it? Probably not. For me, ultimately it would be the lack of an awesome exhaust note that would be the deal breaker

A Guy

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The downside there is you'd better Really Love your SRT because you'll never be able to sell it and get your money back. I understand that most mods Might get you a quarter on the dollar (if you're lucky) unless they come from a company with a Stellar reputation.

I'm still learning about Mopar's but do understand GM stuff pretty well and will use Lingenfelter as an example. If you have LPE stuff on your GM, then there is a chance that you could get up to 50% of your money back, but if you're planning on keeping your SRT forever, then Please disregard everything that I just said! :D

By the way, your SRT with the stroker and that F1x is going to be an Absolute BEAST!

My point in my statement above was also directed towards your question too. If you plan on selling your SXT, then unless you just have disposable income, then don't count on getting back what you put in.

I had a 2001 Vette that I put quite a bit of money into modding and when I sold her, I got very little of my mod money back. That was a lesson learned and that won't happen again. If I want something quicker, I'll buy something that I feel was built right and let the seller take the depreciation loss.

Just something to think about.
Never thought it was an investment. That would just be foolish. Built it for myself to enjoy myself. Could not care less what it will be worth when the time comes to unload...it's just a car :)

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
457 Posts
As a relatively new challenger owner (just got my 2020 GT in June) I'll throw in a consideration I had that wasn't mentioned yet.

Location - I live in New England and a good chunk of the year isn't very friendly to high HP rear-wheel drive vehicles. AWD was pretty non-negotiable for me. And until there is an AWD V8 (a guy can dream right?) it narrowed down my options quickly.

Location also accounts for my daily commute. 36 miles each way is no joke, so MPG was also kind of in the back of my mind.

Since this is also really my first foray into muscle cars and customization the V6 made a whole lot of sense. I recognize I don't get some of the cool V8 toys like superchargers and shaker packs but that's ok for now. I think my car looks rad, sounds rad and drives like a dream, it's fast enough for me. And I'm not blowing up my budget to get a lot of value.

I think there's a big value proposition to be made for the Pentastar.
Don't have any such weather problems here in CA, but the rest of what you said rings very true. The v6 is plenty of car for someone just getting into the performance and muscle car market. Plus all these cars look badass.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
HA! "I'll" is too hard to type on my phone now that I turned off the auto suggestions. I'm getting lazy.

As of August 2020 the Scatpack is still proudly untucked, getting looks, and scaring old ladies.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,483 Posts
Oh man, those last two posts come across much differently if you accidentally perceive an “F” where there are “T”s in a couple spots.

min other words, the first time I read the replies, I didn’t see tuckage and untucked. I saw their “F” equivalents. :oops:

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
358 Posts
Never thought it was an investment. That would just be foolish. Built it for myself to enjoy myself. Could not care less what it will be worth when the time comes to unload...it's just a car :)
But it is in investments, whether you're saving it to try and make more money a few years down the road or just driving it to work and back and doing your normal day today commute, it is an investment.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I gotta comment on this as I think it touches a pretty personal spot for me.

I think Racer X is spot on with what he is saying. If you open up your mind and listen to the man, he is speaking some very real truths here.

Allow me to explain from my point of view. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and owned a 1982 Firebird v8 LG4 and a 1982 Buick Grand National.

FIREBIRD
From stock It ran a whopping 16 second 1/4 mile with it's amazingly low 145HP LG4 engine. I purchased it used for $7000 back then which is was a few years old and I couldn't afford a brand new 1987 Trans am with a Tuned port Injection engine. After about 8k in mods I was able to get the car down into the 13.8 range in the 1/4.
The Trans am runs around 14.8 stock and only needs a few mods to get into the 13.s

My Grand National ran 13.6 stock spinning the tires all the way down the track basically and with just a set of tires and a downpipes it went right into the 12's.

My wife has a 2019 Charger AWD v6 and its a blast to drive. As Racer X was saying it's comfortable and never feels like it lacks power. After Driving the Scat Pack T/A yesterday I see totally the extreme difference in power. Her car as was around 38k and the Scat Pack is 47k. So for 9k you go from mild to wild.

How much are you gonna have to spend to get the v6 anywhere near the performance and you have to void your warranty to do so.

So the comments about doing mild mods that won't void your warranty on a v6 model I think is a nice way to personalize it and not give up on what it was designed to do. the Scat Pack is designed to be a monster and you really need to do nothing other then better tires.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
754 Posts
Agreed. He said "at the end of the day" at least five times and proceeded to repeat the same two or three points over again. Walking that fine click-bait line.
Gotta get that video to a certain length to satisfy Google to get their annoying ads in there lol. Ive seen another guy (OCMotivator) say that Google likes to see at least 8 minute long videos for that purpose.

Reactions: Nuke
2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
105 Posts
Gotta get that video to a certain length to satisfy Google to get their annoying ads in there lol. Ive seen another guy (OCMotivator) say that Google likes to see at least 8 minute long videos for that purpose.
Obey the algorithm!

Luckily for me I've been a Google Play Music subscriber since it launched and one of the best benefits of that service is I don't get any advertisements on Youtube at all.
I literally have not experienced a Youtube ad in years.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,607 Posts
I never called it an investment either. An investment is something that you "Invest" in to make your money grow. Putting money into these cars is just the opposite. The only way that this is an investment is in your enjoyment. It's fun but Definitely NOT a financial investment.

If you've got the income to do what you're doing and it doesn't take away from putting food on your table, paying your bills and taking care of responsibilities, then you're a Blessed person and I'm Happy for you that you can afford do make your plans come to reality.

Peace out and Have a Great day! (y)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I never called it an investment either. An investment is something that you "Invest" in to make your money grow. Putting money into these cars is just the opposite. The only way that this is an investment is in your enjoyment. It's fun but Definitely NOT a financial investment.

If you've got the income to do what you're doing and it doesn't take away from putting food on your table, paying your bills and taking care of responsibilities, then you're a Blessed person and I'm Happy for you that you can afford do make your plans come to reality.

Peace out and Have a Great day! (y)
I know how to spend money just for the return on fun...I used to be into aviation LOL.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
66 Posts
My Grand National ran 13.6 stock spinning the tires all the way down the track basically and with just a set of tires and a downpipes it went right into the 12's.
What was in your Grand National? I had a 1984 with the 200 horsepower, turbocharged 3.8 liter, and it was a 15.9 - 16.0 car.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What was in your Grand National? I had a 1984 with the 200 horsepower, turbocharged 3.8 liter, and it was a 15.9 - 16.0 car.
Mine was a 1987 Turbo T which was a Grand National just gray with Light weight wheels and aluminum Front and rear Bumper supports WE4 car which was a few hundred pound lighter then the actual Grand National. The Turbo T's you could get different colors where as the Grand National Only came in Black with Steel heavy wheels. They ran stock around 13.9-14.1 in the 1/4 where as mine ran 13.6 @102 in the 1/4 stock spinning the GoodYear Eagle GT tire which where horrible, just like the Challengers LOL.
3.8L Turbo Intercooled V6. I modded the hell out of it to get it into the 11.6 in the 1/4
T49 Turbo
Port Polished Stock Intake
Port Polished Heads , stock internals
Stock Bottom end
K&N CAI system
Lower Ram Air in the Ground effects feeding the Filter
Lower Ram air Ken Detweiler cold air for the Intercooler
Upgrade radiator lighter weight and higher flow
160 Degree Thermostat
Blue Strip Injectors
Muscle Fuel Pump
Dutweiler Intercooler stock possiton
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regular
10g Spark Plug wires
42 Spark Plugs Gm
Boost Reguator
3 inch Down Stainless steel pipe.
High Flow Cat Converter
Walker Full Stainless steel exhaust
Drive Sharft Loop
Gm S10 Rear Brakes
1 Air bag on the Passenger side
Full Detweiler built Transmission
2800 Stall converter

11.6 @121 Mph Best Run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you asking that question of the forum, or just posting for discussion? Based on your post count I'm guessing you aren't personally looking for feedback.
Totally agree I have an SXT and love the mods I did . Mopar CAI , foose black legend wheels .. 18 inch . Eibach sportline lowering springs . Borla atak Exhaust . Plus lots of other little stuff . Like tint . Graphics, lights . Rear window spoiler . Quarter panel fins . It looks , runs . And sounds great. Best part car insurance is the lowest ... lol

21 - 40 of 80 Posts