Dodge Challenger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Totally agree I have an SXT and love the mods I did . Mopar CAI , foose black legend wheels .. 18 inch . Eibach sportline lowering springs . Borla atak Exhaust . Plus lots of other little stuff . Like tint . Graphics, lights . Rear window spoiler . Quarter panel fins . It looks , runs . And sounds great. Best part car insurance is the lowest ... lol
Probably the best gas mileage too

·
Registered
936 Posts
I roll my eyes at videos and articles like that... especially when he talks about “headers” on an engine that has a single exhaust port on each head 🤣🙄🤪

There’s no single answer as to whether its “right“ or “makes sense” to modify an engine. certainly It is going to cost more to get 450 halfway reliable horsepower (IOW not “spray and pray”) out of a 3.6 than to just sell and buy a car with a stock 485 hp 6.4... but are you doing it for the dyno number, or for the challenge of being different.? Is it a GT and you want to keep AWD and have more power? Are you a real, skilled, car guy who can figure things out and fabricate, or do you just bolt stuff on (if the latter, you’d better go buy a generic motors LS)? There’s not a lot of aftermarket for the 3.6, its pretty much considered an excellent, reliable, but utilitarian engine. But for a lot of people, that’s the fun. I’d rather spend hours sorting out how to modify an interesting and unusual engine than even look at a Chevy 350 or LS where you can just order out of a catalog.

Personally, I don’t really get why people invest a lot in “modding” anything newer than 1980, anyway, (with a few exceptions like a GN or Viper) because they’re still depreciating and mostly plastic to start with. I have a 12 SRT8 daily driver and LOVE IT, but it’ll never get much beyond a Barton shifter, tower brace, and some urethane bushings (functional upgrades). if I’m going crazy, I’ll find a classic (car or pickup) and either G3 Hemi swap it, or modify its original engine if it’s something interesting like a Buick nailhead, Mopar RB or Gen 1 Hemi, Ford 385 series, etc. But that’s just me... I know it’s not for everyone else.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Totally agree I have an SXT and love the mods I did . Mopar CAI , foose black legend wheels .. 18 inch . Eibach sportline lowering springs . Borla atak Exhaust . Plus lots of other little stuff . Like tint . Graphics, lights . Rear window spoiler . Quarter panel fins . It looks , runs . And sounds great. Best part car insurance is the lowest ... lol
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) I don't think anyone is talking about appearance mods, more actual Performance/Engine mods

Post up some pictures, we're suckers for pictures ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
I roll my eyes at videos and articles like that... especially when he talks about “headers” on an engine that has a single exhaust port on each head 🤣🙄🤪

There’s no single answer as to whether its “right“ or “makes sense” to modify an engine. certainly It is going to cost more to get 450 halfway reliable horsepower (IOW not “spray and pray”) out of a 3.6 than to just sell and buy a car with a stock 485 hp 6.4... but are you doing it for the dyno number, or for the challenge of being different.? Is it a GT and you want to keep AWD and have more power? Are you a real, skilled, car guy who can figure things out and fabricate, or do you just bolt stuff on (if the latter, you’d better go buy a generic motors LS)? There’s not a lot of aftermarket for the 3.6, its pretty much considered an excellent, reliable, but utilitarian engine. But for a lot of people, that’s the fun. I’d rather spend hours sorting out how to modify an interesting and unusual engine than even look at a Chevy 350 or LS where you can just order out of a catalog.

Personally, I don’t really get why people invest a lot in “modding” anything newer than 1980, anyway, (with a few exceptions like a GN or Viper) because they’re still depreciating and mostly plastic to start with. I have a 12 SRT8 daily driver and LOVE IT, but it’ll never get much beyond a Barton shifter, tower brace, and some urethane bushings (functional upgrades). if I’m going crazy, I’ll find a classic (car or pickup) and either G3 Hemi swap it, or modify its original engine if it’s something interesting like a Buick nailhead, Mopar RB or Gen 1 Hemi, Ford 385 series, etc. But that’s just me... I know it’s not for everyone else.
Interesting note about 1980 being the cutoff. In my eyes, depreciation has done its final damage well before the 30 year mark. I have a 5 year old dart that is basically worthless. Worth less than half what I paid, which was already a steep steep discount from MSRP, and I bought new. MSRP $24-25ish, pd $17ish new, worth $8ish.

I also don't agree with most people's concern over depreciation to begin with. They buy a new or relatively new car then try treat it a certain way to "avoid depreciation". As in no mods, try and keep miles down, whatever. If you are really worried about depreciation, you should really only be buying 10-15 year old cars. New vehicles are terrible investments. There is no way around it. So to go to a bunch of effort keep maybe a couple percentage points off depreciation, it's just an odd concept. Drive and enjoy the car. Otherwise, why buy it? "I spent a large sum of money on this car and I'm not going to drive it or do anything to it so it's perfect for the next person and I might get $500-1k more out of it five years down the road. Net win for me". To each their own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just posting for discussion. Do you guys agree with Racer X's assertions? He is basically saying that the 3.6 is a great cruising but not a performance engine. Simple mods are okay, like a cold air intake, headers and possibly porting. However, digging into the engine and doing stuff like replacing the four cams, or adding a supercharger, would be extremely costly and could affect engine reliability. If performance is desired, it would be cheaper to buy a 5.7L R/T.
Yeah it's worth it if that's what you want but when you get down to modding any car you have to have some deep pockets, when you get to modding the purpose is to have more power, then when you get that power you start breaking drivetrain shit, then it's back to the part store.
Probably the best gas mileage too
Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Tire
Auto part Automotive exhaust Suspension part Vehicle Suspension

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Good 0-60 times (y)

A Guy

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
6.0 is common with the V6. I have gotten a 5.9, but don't often try. 5.8 or lower is very good

A Guy

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,372 Posts
For the Cost of the Upgrading best trade the SE / SXT and some cash towards the RT or SRT... Supercharger 6 to 7k , PCM Swap, Programming, upgrade U Joints, Brakes etc., id say not worth it.
IF you want it to have a quicker launch Rear End Upgrade, Program, etc still costly and of course faster car means upgrade the breaking system. Personally though the SE / SXT is not HP like the other models I love my SXT and shes quick enough good gas milliage and cheaper on Insurance still a blast to drive...

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
105 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quick question for you guys in this thread, why no mention of nitrous? I agree that it’s not really cost effective to throw 6 to 8 grand into say a supercharger for a 3.6 that might put you around 5.7 hp numbers, likely with less tq when as a lot of you guys stated above that the reason you got the SXT was because of budget reasons or gas mileage concerns. Why not get a nitrous kit for $500-700 throw an 85 shot on safely to have some fun at the track or for some extra jam when you want it without sacrificing every day reliability, mpg or drivability? An N20 kit is a fairly easy install, at least on vehicles I’ve done it on (4th gen Fbodies) and checks a lot of boxes as far as great bang for your buck performance without wrecking the daily driving characteristics of the car. Just an honest question as I don’t see it mentioned much.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,482 Posts
I think most people who want to mod the 3.6L for more performance are looking to realize some added oomph on a daily driver, and the vast majority will likely never go to the track with their 3.6L.

Nitrous’ major limitation, in my view, is its impracticality for stop light to stop light WOT driving, and that’s where most of the folks modding their 3.6L will be spending their time.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
358 Posts
I think most people who want to mod the 3.6L for more performance are looking to realize some added oomph on a daily driver, and the vast majority will likely never go to the track with their 3.6L.

Nitrous’ major limitation, in my view, is its impracticality for stop light to stop light WOT driving, and that’s where most of the folks modding their 3.6L will be spending their time.
I don't understand why those that bought a 3.6 didn't just go with the 5.7, mpg is about the same and the prices is not that much difference either🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
754 Posts
I don't understand why those that bought a 3.6 didn't just go with the 5.7, mpg is about the same and the prices is not that much difference either🤷‍♂️
Agree. I wouldn't buy one without at least the 5.7 but they have their reasons.

Reactions: Tape

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Every step up is a slight difference in

Mileage
Initial cost
Insurance

Which adds up to a real cost difference over the life of the car.

Why didnt the 5.7 guy just go scat pack? Barely any more. Similar mileage.

Why didn't the scat pack guy go hellcat?

Why didn't the hellcat guy go redeye?

Why didn't the redeye guy go Koenigsegg?

There all relatively a incremental increase.

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
358 Posts
Every step up is a slight difference in

Mileage
Initial cost
Insurance

Which adds up to a real cost difference over the life of the car.

Why didnt the 5.7 guy just go scat pack? Barely any more. Similar mileage.

Why didn't the scat pack guy go hellcat?

Why didn't the hellcat guy go redeye?

Why didn't the redeye guy go Koenigsegg?

There all relatively a incremental increase.
Sorry I disagree with "all relatively a incremental increase"

"Scat pack guy go hellcat" you're talking 20-$30,000 increase in price.
Why didn't the hellcat guy go redeye? Redeye didn't come out till 2018.
Why didn't the redeye guy go Koenigsegg? Cheapest Koenigsegg you can get 20 hellcats and I don't like laying down when I'm driving.

3.6 to a 5.7 isn't that much of an increase in price but significant power increase.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Sorry I disagree with "all relatively a incremental increase"

"Scat pack guy go hellcat" you're talking 20-$30,000 increase in price.
Why didn't the hellcat guy go redeye? Redeye didn't come out till 2018.
Why didn't the redeye guy go Koenigsegg? Cheapest Koenigsegg you can get 20 hellcats and I don't like laying down when I'm driving.

3.6 to a 5.7 isn't that much of an increase in price but significant power increase.
I mostly agree with your point. My point was tho that everyone has to stop somewhere, and considering how many v6s are out there, that's a lot of people who made the "wrong" choice.

I paid 36.5 for a new scat pack shaker. Could easily get past that with a well optioned 5.7. I've seen a well optioned scat come dangerously close to "last years model" hellcat. The Koenigsegg comp hopefully was clear that part was mostly facetious. Lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
I definitely don’t want to turn this into a “why didn’t you just get a V8” conversation. I feel like it comes off a bit disrespectful in this sub. Plus I remember being an 19 year old kid from a struggling single parent home fresh out of high school with no credit rating trying to buy the at the time 4th Gen Firebird of my dreams back in the day. All I could afford was the 3.8 V6, and just barely. 460/month car payment and 430/month insurance. Still I loved that car and although it only had 200hp stock with exhaust, intake and an 85 NOS kit on it I was just as fast as the 5.7 Trans Am I wanted in the first place but at a budget I could afford. I loved that nitrous setup on the street or at the track, it made my car unique and really fun to drive. I know there’s people with the 3.6 that are in the same boat today in the Challenger world, which is why I figured I’d mention a nitrous setup for these cars.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
754 Posts
I mostly agree with your point. My point was tho that everyone has to stop somewhere, and considering how many v6s are out there, that's a lot of people who made the "wrong" choice.

I paid 36.5 for a new scat pack shaker. Could easily get past that with a well optioned 5.7. I've seen a well optioned scat come dangerously close to "last years model" hellcat. The Koenigsegg comp hopefully was clear that part was mostly facetious. Lol
Nobody said it was the wrong choice, just that V6 people ask what mod they can do to get 5.7 power. I have to wonder why you didn't just get a 5'7.

They also sound a lot better than the V6. it's tough to get a V6 to sound like a V8 that sounds good.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
A base R/T was more than $5,000 over the SXT Plus which is not base. To get an R/T Plus was over $8,000 more. I know some here have trouble believing some get a V6 because they wanted to. I could have bought a Hellcat, but just as I couldn't justify that, I couldn't justify another $8,000 just to get a V8 and another 70HP. I rarely use the power I have, so it would just be hey, look what I have...and honestly, even that won't impress people who are only impressed by a Hellcat. If I wanted to go the higher HP route, I'd have jumped the R/T and went with the Scat, so that wouldn't track anyway ;)

Now asking that question of someone who wants to mod their 3.6 could be legit. Some it may be what they could afford, and now they can afford more. Some may have decided it wasn't enough power to satisfy them after all. Some just like to modify what they have, and then it's just the high cost that makes it...less than wise financially. But there is the same argument when an R/T owner wants to modify for Scat power, or a Scat wants to modify for Hellcat power...why didn't you just buy...

A Guy

41 - 60 of 80 Posts