Dodge Challenger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
None taken by me. I have realized long ago that being an enthusiasts forum that most think of their car as a Muscle Car first, and therefore, their first thought is performance and power. The number of Scat Packs and Hellcats are going to be much higher than what sells to the general population.

I told someone the other day that I must drive mine like an old man compared to others on the forum based on their descriptions. I doubt most of you are actually hooning around every day, but that's the impression you'd get reading many posts.

I sometimes think I am a Lowrider at heart, lol

Low rider drives a little slower
Low rider is a real goer
Low rider knows every street, yeah
Low rider is the one to meet, yeah
Low rider don't use no gas now
Low rider don't drive too fast

My car is still faster than my old Trans Am was stock ;)

A Guy

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
105 Posts
First off, great song. Secondly, well put. For me a V8 fell under the "nice to have" category when making this purchase decision. Don't get me wrong, if there were a V8 option coupled with AWD I would have been on it like yesterday. But that AWD, it's a must have for this New England native.
This is the nicest, most powerful and coolest looking car I've ever owned. 6 cyls does plenty for me based on how I drive it. Even when I'm soaring down the highway I'm never going more than 90. What good is 500-700HP if you can't even use it?
Again, TCO was an influential decision for me. I could have picked up an R/T for like $2000 more, but factoring in insurance, fuel economy, etc. and sacrificing AWD, it just wasn't the right decision.
That being said I very quickly discovered that I do in fact enjoy modifying it for the sake of modifying it. It's my car dammit and if I want to buy toys for it I will! :D All kidding aside, this vehicle is really slick looking, fun as hell to drive, gets me all kinds of looks and compliments. As a daily driver I couldn't ask for more! Except I will be, I fully intend to go for more power mods just to give the ol girl a little more oomph than she came with, and honestly I find nothing wrong with that at all because I'm the only one I need to answer to.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
I gotta say, after driving my sister in law's 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6, I was very pleased how well it ran. I can see people buying and loving that engine. I just have some inherent "problem" where if the car has an available engine, why not get it. That is how I always have been, I choose the engine I want, then find the car I want it in.
As for modding a 3.6, if I were to do it, I would start with a blower, go big or go home. I wouldn't waste a penny on anything less than a 25% increase, it will never be enough to really notice anyway.
Or try to get realistic, how much time do you spend in a give month with the pedal to the floor? As in "I WANT MORE POWER RIGHT NOW" type of driving. Probably less than a minute a month, is that worth thousands of dollars? (to me it was, just sayin')

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,372 Posts
2011 SE / SXT vs Original 70's Challenger SE

Now when you take a SXT and start Super Charging it, Changing Injectors, Throttle Body,
Plugs, Exhaust, Cooling System Upgrade, PCM or Programming it the cost goes up fast very fast.
Braking Upgrade Upgrading the Rear End Axles, Drive Shaft, Supports, Brakes, Tires the cost goes up so
much just trade it in get a RT. Your already gonna get more bang, HP, and car is setup already for closer
to what a Modified SXT will have cheaper. It's not like your going to do all the Mods cost effective.
Insurance will be cheaper unless you rack up Tickets, or Wreck it.

When those upgrades fail your not just gonna go to Napa, Pep Boys, O'Rillies, Advanced, Auto-Zone Etc
and get say a Super Charger Belt. This is where it goes, if you want to do it , and you got the pockets
ok but realistically its not just a simple you bolt it on and go. Even the upgraded parts require some
modding and finessing it never ever fails.

A High Mile Engine will not hold up long or well to a Supercharger / Turbo Mod , Timing Chain and Gears
wear with normal driving and if those are not upgraded you will be sorry when you least expect it.

I think the SXT is a fun and affordable Daily Driver and Weekend Cruiser. We all have our opinions but it's
your decision. To me the that 3.6 is a nice engine as is, I had a GNX and a Rare GNX Packaged T-TYPE Regals
when I worked at a Buick Dealer Ship as a ASE Mechanic. Wish I sitll had either one along with my SXT I have now.

Not happy with what you got save the Money , trade it up your then getting the next level want more trade up to
an SRT...

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
15 Posts
In my opinion...

Do whatever mods you want to achieve the goal you want. Do NOT listen to people whose only feedback is saying that you should of went with a V8. It's negative, toxic and not helpful. Everyone starts somewhere.

I purchased a 2018 SXT Plus with all the features I could dream of. Sure, I could of easily got a V8. A V6 is enough for me, especially after jumping from a 4 cylinder with absolutely no features. It's zippy, great MPG, it turns heads, it's a Challenger. Not everyone can even get a Challenger.

Dodge has several trims for a reason, to fit everyone's wants and needs...
You want the look of a muscle car with more power than your average car on the road, but not going to the track? SXT.
You want something a little more aggressive? R/T.
You're all about racing? Scatpack, Hellcat, Demon.

Everyone has their own reasons for getting a specific type of vehicle. You get whatever you can afford and whatever makes you happy.

Pick your poison and do whatever you want to it.

I am going to mod my car, regardless of if I could easily just get a R/T. Why? Because I am going to mod that too and someone is going to say, why not get a Scatpack or a Hellcat?

-

So is it worth it to mod the 3.6L V6? Yes.

Will I get a Scatpack or Hellcat later in my life? You damn right. Will I mod that too? I sure will.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
No body told him NOT TO upgrade everyone is simply opening up COST to what you end up with. This is based on actually doing this before or after extensive research.
For Safety, Reliability, etc., when you jump into the Modding world for performance there is easily over looked items to consider., Negative not one bit in long run reliability
and for more of what your hoping to get might not be exactly what you end up with or ends up being more cost then just upgrading to a more performance car that is
not needing that stuff done meaning reliability.

You first have to look at each part that will need to be done, Improved HP means you better also improve Breaks or your going to end up in a Wreck if your not careful.
Drive Drive Shaft, Suspension to plant that HP, your going to need to update the Transmission, Unlocked PCM, Upgraded Cooling, etc., Yes you can do it and yes people
will do what ever they are going to do. No one said DON'T to him no one. That's reading too deep into things.

There is a old saying Cubic HP = Cubic Dollars that exist in Hot Rodding, Racing.

If you pull off everything that is great if its what one wants great... That decision is the person no one told him DO NOT DO IT.

Now when you go to sell or trade up No Dealer, Car Lot will give you anymore for you Mods and Work why a SE / SXT / RT / SRT / Hellcat / Red Eye / Demon are still what
they are. Make the Car yours and what you want.

When the OP asked is it worth it that is up to HIM but he has reason given why many say its not or can end up being short in the long run chasing that and why.
Cheaper to trade it towards a RT yes in long run and might be a less cost in long run. My Previous post gave Facts and then based on experience...

I took a V6 231C.I. 3.8L GNX and ended up with 485hp out of it. Was one of the Fastest Production Cars made for many years I ended up dumping a boat load of cash.
Things Broke wore out faster and while it was Mean it was an eye opening experience. I took a 79 Z28 changed it to a 500+ HP Super Charged Ride same things happened.
Yeah those and that was different things scenarios then having stuff available.

With a Computer controlling this whole marvel its a balancing act with additional issues. Want Speed first and foremost Upgrade the Brakes and then sort it out from there.
Enjoy and Best wishes what ever is chosen.

One last tip Fuel Millage wont be the same after mods and Supercharged / Turbo increase that Cooling. Increase the Oil and Fluid Capacities or it will detonate and overheat.
Been down those Roads many times

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
15 Posts
Of course if we're talking about cost efficiency, there is a lot to consider and it might not be worth it to mod it as far as supercharging. But I posted what I said, because I see many V6 owners always doubting their purchase. I always see this hesitation to mod because of peer pressure, usually it goes with, just get a V8.

Just here to put more courage and motivation into the souls of V6 owners.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
457 Posts
When I first got my v6 my dream was to supercharge having no idea what all went into that and how expensive. I've since decided it doesn't make sense cost wise to go through all that. But everything else I want to do is still going to happen. Mostly all appearance mods than performance

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I own an SXT love it I kinda went looking at Performance Mods and in end said so self been there done that. Then considering its a 221C.I. 3.6.Lwith 305hp not to tires but rated
a 3980lb V6 scoots a 2.56 gear rear they way it does is nothing to laugh at and most on here Respect All Challengers from SE / SXT up. What's not to love about them.... Nothing!!!
I had even considered the PC upgrade how ever wont change the 0-60 and it adds another part that can cause issues when you lease expect it. Not worth a few hundred to gain a few
tenths of seconds on a take off only. Not a Racing Car it's a Driver....

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Racer X's buddy has a highly modified 3.6 supercharged Challenger that makes 474 hp. to the rear tires and 400 lb./ft. of torque.

In this video all of the mods are explained and the car is raced against Racer X's 6.4 Scat Pack.

In the first run, the 3.6 wins because Racer X let the Scat Pack auto shift. However, in the next 4 runs, he manually shifted and the Scat Pack's superior torque won out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a relatively new challenger owner (just got my 2020 GT in June) I'll throw in a consideration I had that wasn't mentioned yet.

Location - I live in New England and a good chunk of the year isn't very friendly to high HP rear-wheel drive vehicles. AWD was pretty non-negotiable for me. And until there is an AWD V8 (a guy can dream right?) it narrowed down my options quickly.

Location also accounts for my daily commute. 36 miles each way is no joke, so MPG was also kind of in the back of my mind.

Since this is also really my first foray into muscle cars and customization the V6 made a whole lot of sense. I recognize I don't get some of the cool V8 toys like superchargers and shaker packs but that's ok for now. I think my car looks rad, sounds rad and drives like a dream, it's fast enough for me. And I'm not blowing up my budget to get a lot of value.

I think there's a big value proposition to be made for the Pentastar.
One thing you can do to your awd is geta hellcat air cleaner and cold air tube pop out the inside cover and now you have a stock cold air intake! Also for what it's worth you can get a tune that will add 40hp 40tq to the wheels. I have a 5.8 o-60 time on my 3.6 No problems whatsoever with it, and you can still get 30mpg highway if you drive it normal.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
5.8 with that tune? I have gotten 5.9 stock. Also sure people would be interested in who tuned a stock 3.6L and got 40/40 at the wheels...

A Guy

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
853 Posts
5.8 with that tune? I have gotten 5.9 stock. Also sure people would be interested in who tuned a stock 3.6L and got 40/40 at the wheels...

A Guy
ya i would think maybe half that on a 6 cyl. 40 hp gain on a 300 hp car is HUGE.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only a sith deals in absolutes.
Sorry I just watched the movie I last night, I had to.

I think the biggest issue with modmeone who couldn't afford a V8 but they wanna make their car as fast as the hemi. There's nothing wrong with modding the 3.6 as long as you're reasoning isn't to make it compete with the hemi you couldn't afford, because to make the 3.6 competed you gotta spend more money than a 5.7 or even 392 would cost, and you lose the warranty on the v6 as well as reliability from added HP. Not to mention smaller brakes, suspension, drivetrain, blah blah blah.

I may be biased but I still think if you wanna build a car on a budget the 5.7 is the best option in dodges lineup. It comes with many of the same drivetrain components as the 392, it can take 8lbs boost all day reliably, has the V8 sound, good amount of aftermarket support, etc all for a price not much higher than the 3.6 (usually)
I purchased my 3.6 over the hemi not because I couldn't afford the hemi. Because I didn't want one. I have no interest in racing at red lights and I like being able to pass a gas station. The only value in the hemi is if you want one.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
I purchased my 3.6 over the hemi not because I couldn't afford the hemi. Because I didn't want one. I have no interest in racing at red lights and I like being able to pass a gas station. The only value in the hemi is if you want one.
Out of curiosity, whats your average mpg on the 3.6?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts