Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am looking to purchase a 2012 SRT 8 Challenger Yellow Jacket. The car is brand new but has been on the lot and has 1400 miles on it. The sticker is about 54000 and they are coming off 10 grand. Would you do this? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The car is not brand new if it has 1400 miles on it. It's also 2 years down, greatly affecting resale value- read, never resell it for that much in your lifetime, which means they're asking too much for it, But, hey, if they can find someone to pay it, then it's not too much, right?

The cars not new, it, it may never have been titled, which would mean it was the sales force's joy riding car for- wait for it- 1 4 0 0 miles. wow.

check the classifieds for a low mileage comparable year Jacket. there's allot of them that are garage queens, nature of the beast, and a good thing for you.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
No

There have been subtle improvements since 12. You can get a 14 for that price.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Bought mine last June 2013 - 52k sticker - ~43K out the door. 12 miles on odometer. It had sat on the dealers lot since August 2012. Besides my TPS acting funny on the front left (dealer blames that on my aftermarket radio interference), the car has been great.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That sounds like a lot of money to me, the good thing is that you get the whole warranty from when you purchase it, the bad is, who put the 1400 miles on it before you? Ask yourself what your willing to spend, I think if you offer him between 39k and 42k he would probably take it, I'm sure he wants that car off his lot. But you have to be willing to walk away if he says no. If he has a buyer for that car in his hands I don't think hes going to let you walk away without that car. good luck!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you have the cash and its the car you want with all the options you want and you are willing to pay that for it then go for it.

If you spend 5-6K less on something you really dont want you may regret it.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
if you have the cash and its the car you want with all the options you want and you are willing to pay that for it then go for it.

If you spend 5-6K less on something you really dont want you may regret it.
Agreed. Color is the most important option, and 1400 miles is really no big deal. Probably driven by the owner or manager at the dealership.

Always try to buy "low", so I would offer $39k, and go from there. Good luck.

Of course, I'm partial to yellow. LOL

·
Registered
386 Posts
Probably the reason it's still on the lot is because they don't want to negotiate enough. I would say 22%-25% off sticker being that it it 2 years old with mileage on it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Agreed. Color is the most important option, and 1400 miles is really no big deal. Probably driven by the owner or manager at the dealership.

Always try to buy "low", so I would offer $39k, and go from there. Good luck.

Of course, I'm partial to yellow. LOL

I agree with the $39k starting point, and you can always go up a FEW dollars if you really like the color. It appears that yellow was not all that popular so many have sat around awhile.

I agree with another previous poster in that there are probably several garage queens available on the used market for less money with less miles. Obviously you will have to travel.

Do you live in a salt state? Sitting around for 2 years with numerous test drives I bet the front rotors are whipped already. The front suspension takes a beating with the static surface rust. I personally could not handle spending $40k + on a car with preexisting rust all over the undercarriage. Especially given that most of the Yellow Jackets were delivered in the dead of winter.

All of that said, if I wanted that color, and could get it for $40k, and if the undercarriage was not roached, I'd buy it on the spot. ( I bought mine 2 years ago and still do not have 1400 miles on it - yet).

It will need a lot of personal detailing...would not be inclined to let the dealer do it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't pay more $39-$40K for it. I have also checked that car out. When I sat in it, it smelled as if someone had been smoking cigarettes in the car. Additionally, the chin spoiler is scratched pretty bad underneath. These should both be negotiation points.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Wow thanks for the heads up. Do you remember how many miles it had on it when you looked at it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 40 Posts