Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
72,000 miles, 2013 Challenger. What is this racket? I thought new(er) cars are supposed to be nice and quiet. Is it about to take a dump?

youtube - com/watch?v=IC_RVbD-8Xw

Arg, just want to show my issue and apparently that's not welcome from new members. Fix link to see the video I took. I'd appreciate some help! :laugh2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey no worries Michah, I've got a 2011 Challenger 3.6 with just over 400,000 klm or 248,548.4 miles on it.

I think I can get at least another 200,000 out of her no problem, maybe more...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
Here is the clickable link

You might have an exhaust leak on the drivers side or it could just be the injectors firing. Here are my two 5.7L motors, both of which are in excellent mechanical condition but you can hear the injectors making a bunch of racket which is normal.

https://vimeo.com/250995421

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses, your video does sound very similar. This is my first 21st century made car and I'm not used to all the electronic noises they make! And I had read that it's not unknown that they develop a 'ticking' that can eat the engine up. So I wanted opinions on whether this is relatively normal, it's also very cold here, I just took that video and it's 2 degrees F out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses, your video does sound very similar. This is my first 21st century made car and I'm not used to all the electronic noises they make! And I had read that it's not unknown that they develop a 'ticking' that can eat the engine up. So I wanted opinions on whether this is relatively normal, it's also very cold here, I just took that video and it's 2 degrees F out.
Ticking when cold is apparently common on these engines. Mine does it bad between 1500-2000 rpm under load when cold but it is completely quiet when temps are above 60. I pulled the engine cover off mine today to listen to it and the engine cover is really a sound dampener- foam pieces all over the bottom of it. Compared to my Honda, this is a noisy engine- mine only has 12,000 miles on it and the dealer calls it "normal".

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,777 Posts

Maybe

A Guy

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey no worries Michah, I've got a 2011 Challenger 3.6 with just over 400,000 klm or 248,548.4 miles on it.

I think I can get at least another 200,000 out of her no problem, maybe more...
Wow, very impressive!!!

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,749 Posts
Trust Me, I No...Know?...Yes!

72,000 miles, 2013 Challenger. What is this racket? I thought new(er) cars are supposed to be nice and quiet. Is it about to take a dump?

youtube - com/watch?v=IC_RVbD-8Xw

Arg, just want to show my issue and apparently that's not welcome from new members. Fix link to see the video I took. I'd appreciate some help! :laugh2:
Your engine is fine; there is no need to worry that it is about go teets up on you or anything.

For better or worse, that noise you hear is "normal" for the 3.6L, especially just after a cold start-up. And depending upon the type of oil, weight of oil, and relative life remaining in the oil (for that oil change interval), you will find that noise sometimes is more pronounced, and other times it is barely audible at all.

Trust me when I tell you that if the parts that are making those noises (rocker arm assemblies) ever get bad enough that they need replacing, you will know it right away!

When one of the rocker assemblies goes bad, they will start making a noise which cannot be mistaken for anything else because it is so bad. It would be loud, angry, painful sounding noises coming from there, and there will be no doubt you need to take it to someone to have it fixed!

But don't worry about what I was just describing, as you should NOT ever have to worry about that scenario as long as you follow all the specs in the owners manual about engine oil weight, type, OCI, etc.

Now, relax and go get some quality WOT driving time in on your Challenger! You'll both feel much better!.

Regards,
Nuke

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
950 Posts
Interesting video AGuy.

Wonder what the mileage is on that 3.6?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wish my 60's muscle cars were that quiet... They were noisier than that at 15k miles!!!

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,749 Posts
Interesting video AGuy.

Wonder what the mileage is on that 3.6?
They can start ticking fairly early in their lives, I know the 3.6 in my 2011 certainly did. It was ticking within 50K miles IIRC, but I doubt mine is typical. I subjected that Challenger to way more spirited driving than the average person...more than 3 average people put together actually, but anyway, you get the idea :grin2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once again, thank you guys for reassurance. :). I don't know, it just seemed cranky for a new type engine and I was concerned. It behaves perfect on the road and I don't have any trouble lights on, never have, but that noise :s. I'm used to tiny Hondas with 130HP that hum quietly, haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts