Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Wednesday I was coming off of an exit ramp and onto the main road, t boned a caddy and this happened to my 2014 Challenger.
I bought her new 2 years ago last week as a leftover. She has 24,000 miles on her. I guess where it happened so close to memorial day weekend the claim has been slow starting. Im going tomorrow to clean my belongings out of her, as the accident happened 2 hours from where I live. My question is, is she totaled? I have an emotional attachment to this car as it was the first really nice new car I ever bought on my own. But if its totalled or is going to give me problems down the road I dont want to stay in it. The guy who put it on the rollback after the accident pointed out that the frame was broke. To be honest I should have paid more attention but I was just in shock I guess. Any help or advice from anyone would be much appreciated. This is the first time Ive ever had to deal with the insurance company on anything.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Well first off glad you're ok. I just recently totaled my last car about 2 months ago and I was the same way. It was my first new car and I put a lot of money into into so seeing it totaled was hard for me. I was originally going to go through the other guys insurance but they lowballed me by a long margin. So I went through mine and got what I wanted for it. I'm on my parents insurance right now and the problem with going through our own is now the insurance company wants their money back.

The other driver that I hit claimed I was speeding and told the cop that but since I had the right of way it was his fault and that is reflected on the police report. So I'm hoping with that being said, my insurance company gets their money back from his because if they don't, our rates are going to skyrocket and if I go on my own I'm basically not going to be able to afford insurance on this car given the type of Challenger it is.

So with all that being said, it's hard to tell from the picture if it's totaled or not. My car could have been fixed using cheap aftermarket crap but I wouldn't have been happy with that and I would have never been able to sell it down the road. So before any offers are made to you, think about it. See what's going to be best for you in the short term and the long term.

Hopefully it works out for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have gotten more pictures of the car. In the midst of this whole thing it was a tornado warning right after the accident so it was a pretty bizzare day. Thanks for your advice and if they come back and say they are going to fix it I am going to request original parts. I hadnt even thought about aftermarket junk.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
You're welcome. Just be prepared to fight and don't let them roll over on you. Check edmunds and KBB and sites like that to find the value of your car so when you get an offer, if it is totaled, you know if it's a good deal or not.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
If it's just that front end damage I'd say no.

·
Super Moderator
15,595 Posts
the shop would need to examine the car

It could be that the k-member is what broke in the impact. This is also known as the engine cradle, and it supports the engine and the front suspension and this is bolted to the front frame rails of the vehicle.

if the frame rails or firewall are damaged significantly, that could be a total by the insurance company.

Further inspection is what will determine that

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,975 Posts
Sorry to ever see this. Shed a virtual tear for every Challenger taken off the road. A Guy

·
Registered
184 Posts
I lost my 14 in an accident as well. It is really a sick feeling.

It is difficult to tell from that single photo but I would be hopeful that it can be repaired.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
No one here will be able to answer your question. The repair shop with be the place where the answer comes from.

I hope this works out for you. I know the gut wrenching feeling you have.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
394 Posts
Even if you tell the insurance and repair shop you want OEM replacements, they may still sneak in non-OEM, refurbished or junkyard parts (this latter happened to my sister at the Audi dealership replacing a headlight - but still charged her OEM cost). Bottomline, request receipts with part numbers along with the invoice. Best you can do besides watching them unpack and install OEM parts.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Make sure you get the lost in value of your car. Because if you ever sale your car it will be on the car fax and you will get less money for your car Look into that,

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
394 Posts
If it's not totaled be wary of accepting the insurance check!

My wife wrecked her '09 Impreza last September. Hours after the State Farm claim adjuster left, SF called happily offering a $5k settlement check. I rejected it and took the car to an independent shop I trust (you are NOT obligated to use their "approved" shops).

My shop submitted a Supplemental which took the damages over $8k and SF finally totaled the car. They found several damaged structures not seen by a superficial exterior examination, and the repair method and rate for paint was ridiculously off the mark.

Never forget that the insurance companies are a business out to make money - they are not working with your best interests at heart.

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
Make sure you get the lost in value of your car. Because if you ever sale your car it will be on the car fax and you will get less money for your car Look into that,
Diminished value isn't for the person at fault. He said he unfortunately hit the other car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Against your own carrier, it's contractual so whatever the contract says they owe you. If your contract says they can use aftermarket or whatever parts, then they can- you may be better off to pony up a little extra cash to get what you want.

Against the at fault party, assuming they have insurance or assets, it's the ratio of however hard you're willing to work for it divided by whatever you can get in court. In most states, the claimant owes "actual cash value". This is not the same as "they owe you a car". Actual cash value is usually defined as whatever your car was worth the minute before the crash -OR- they owe to put you in the same position you were in before the crash. Therefore, they don't necessarily owe you new oem parts. They can make a good case FOR "junkyard parts" in court (because your car is used). You can make a good case AGAINST aftermarket parts in court. They don't actually owe you a rental car, they owe you costs incurred for transportation (they rent you a car because it's cheaper to avoid that whole argument). It's a negotiation though and it may be worth it for them to make you happier by negotiating a part or 2 - if you think they are being fair, it makes the injury portion easier to resolve. Personally, I'm ok with "junkyard parts" for non mechanical items as long as they're prepped right.

Proving 'diminution of value' is difficult and varies by state. In most states, you actually must suffer a loss before you can sue for it. Therefore you have to have your accident, try to sell the car, and then have people tell you they won't pay market price because of the wreck. You have to have all that happen before your states statute of limitations. That's basically english common law stuff, so it's pretty hard to win if that's the law of the land. Some states have adopted some more progressive laws on diminution so it's pretty specific to you and your state. Also, it still comes down to negotiation. If, for example, the insurance company can foresee a total potential cost of $50,000 to pony up for attorneys plus the cost of the car, the injury, etc. and you offer them a way out for $40,000 in which you get your dimunition and your car fixed and 20 bottles of aleve, then the insurance may accept that as the lowest ultimate cost of settlement.

Sorry if tl:dr, lots and lots of years in the insurance business.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the shop would need to examine the car

It could be that the k-member is what broke in the impact. This is also known as the engine cradle, and it supports the engine and the front suspension and this is bolted to the front frame rails of the vehicle.

if the frame rails or firewall are damaged significantly, that could be a total by the insurance company.

Further inspection is what will determine that

Based on that k-member as mentioned above, it may likely be totalled. If you look at the passenger side of it, you can see it's been bent which generally leads to the frame having been bent and shifted.

Best of luck tho! Just make sure to do your due diligence and make the right choice for your own future safety whether you decide to repair or not.

·
Registered
153 Posts
1. If your air bags went off the car is salvage.
2. If the frame is damaged the car is salvage.
3. If air bags didnt go off, sit tight and wait untill the body shop and your insurance company inspects the car.
4. They can repair and put a salvage car back on the road, your insurance company will give you two options. Take the pay out they give you based off what your car is worth, or fix it and hand it back to you.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well first off glad you're ok. I just recently totaled my last car about 2 months ago and I was the same way. It was my first new car and I put a lot of money into into so seeing it totaled was hard for me. I was originally going to go through the other guys insurance but they lowballed me by a long margin. So I went through mine and got what I wanted for it. I'm on my parents insurance right now and the problem with going through our own is now the insurance company wants their money back.

The other driver that I hit claimed I was speeding and told the cop that but since I had the right of way it was his fault and that is reflected on the police report. So I'm hoping with that being said, my insurance company gets their money back from his because if they don't, our rates are going to skyrocket and if I go on my own I'm basically not going to be able to afford insurance on this car given the type of Challenger it is.

So with all that being said, it's hard to tell from the picture if it's totaled or not. My car could have been fixed using cheap aftermarket crap but I wouldn't have been happy with that and I would have never been able to sell it down the road. So before any offers are made to you, think about it. See what's going to be best for you in the short term and the long term.

Hopefully it works out for you.
Your insurance company can't raise your rates based on an accident that was someone else's fault. Them getting their money back is on them, has nothing to do with you.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Your insurance company can't raise your rates based on an accident that was someone else's fault. Them getting their money back is on them, has nothing to do with you.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Our broker said that if my company doesn't get at least 50% of the money back from his company, our rates go up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts