Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 6 months old Challenger. When new, it came with 1 year SiriusXM radio and 5 year traffic subscription. Based on dates, I should have another 6 months of radio service. Unfortunately, I was just told by SiriusXM that previous owner cancelled the subscription so my radio no longer works. I did not get any papers with terms and conditions so I do not even know if the subscription is transferable, tied to VIN or previous owner. I was assuming that it should be tied to the car but apparently this is not the case. Do you guys know what's the deal with SiriusXM radio in preowned cars?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some more digging and it appears that SiriusXM is correct. Complimentary 1 year subscription converts to individual account when registered and it doesn't carry with vehicle. I am eligible for 3 months trial. After that I have to purchase the subscription if I want to use their service.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
That's good to know. Thanks for posting.

My last car was my 1st with XM radio. I canceled my subscription when I traded it in, but that was a couple of years after the free trial ended. The confusing thing to me was they couldn't just add what was left on my subscription to my new car. They issued me a refund for the old subscription, then I had to start a new one with my current car. :nerd:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the terms and conditions, you can now transfer subscription between devices or accounts for a $15 fee. But since I bought the CPO car from dealer, I do not know who the previous owner was. When he cancelled the subscription, I just got 3 months free trial.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For me the sound quality of XM is worse than streaming Pandora or any other channel. After the trial,its best to ask for the $30 6!month deal or $99 1 year plan, plus fees of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
If you wait long enough, they will likely offer $30 for six months with no activation fee. I get these all the time. For both my vehicles. Since I don't like the SiriusXM, I don't renew.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not crazy about the satellite radio either and will most likely not renew when the trial is up. My wife's car has SiriusXM (I think it was originally XM Radio) and when the trial expired, they called and mailed us offers but we never renewed. Finally, I have asked them to stop mailing or calling me and they actually obliged. I haven't received SiriusXM mailings in few years now.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
For me the sound quality of XM is worse than streaming Pandora or any other channel. After the trial,its best to ask for the $30 6!month deal or $99 1 year plan, plus fees of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I got one year for $89 all fees included was $108.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I tried to like XM, but just didn't like the sound. And I can't remember 85 different stations to add variety to my music. I usually listen to 5 or 6 radio stations or the music stored on my SD card (thumb drive in my Jeep).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Unlike internet the two satellites they have in orbit only have so much bandwidth, most channels are compressed. There are certain talk shows i listen to on SXM so I will always have it. OTR truckers will always have it as they will be in areas without acquitted internet coverage.

With a radio sub online streaming is included in the top package, which includes the app which is pretty good (took them awhile). I like it, like the value but they are one of the worst companies to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
I got one year for $89 all fees included was $108.
This was the deal I got too, was offered $30 for 6 months, or this. I didn't want to play the game after 6 months, so I did the year. Unknown if I will continue it, I usually listen to music from a USB. A Guy

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
This was the deal I got too, was offered $30 for 6 months, or this. I didn't want to play the game after 6 months, so I did the year. Unknown if I will continue it, I usually listen to music from a USB. A Guy
They play rediculous games as all 5 of my cars have XM radio in them and only one (work truck) has it on. They send me emails daily and multiple letters weekly which usually covers all the vehicles. It's either the 5 for $25 or the 6 for $30 but rarely is the 12 for $99 so when I got 12 for $89, I decided that was as good as it was going to get and signed up but will cancel prior to 1/3/18 as I will not allow auto renew on my card.
In the old days you paid one price for the first radionand a much reduced price for additional radios. Now if they had a realistic rate maybe they'd have all five of of my radios active and make more money, multiply that across the millions of people who just let the trial expire and never renew.
Add on to that, at the price we paid the active traffic isn't, nor will it ever be on again, imagine that yearly bill.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also do not think I am going to renew after the 3 months trial. All music stations and no commercials sounds good but there is still too much talking in my opinion. I would rather have all music all the time. I do not really need to listen to the presenter's voice every other song. Also, I get dropouts that are very annoying.

As to the traffic and Nav system, my phone does ten times better job with traffic, recommending alternate routes, etc. Wish I could just stream my phone's screen onto the dash.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
. . . All music stations and no commercials . . .
I wish that was the case. There was a lot of talking in between many of the songs as I remember it. Not what I would call commercial free. :thdown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts