Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people don't like to buy the first year of a new or greatly changed model.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
All the major components are well tested. I took a chance in 2011 with the then new 6.4 and no problems there.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'd say it's fine. Almost all of the parts have been in other Chrysler vehicles for a few years, and are just making their way into the Challenger for the first time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
These items are only new to the Challenger. They've been in the Chrysler 300 for a couple years now.

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
The major mechanical items (engines, 6-speed manual) are carry over items .

The 8 speed automatic is new to Challenger, but this ZF transmission has been in production for several years (other mfgrs. use ZF as a supplier).

The body shell itself is a carry over, so shouldn't have any issues there.

The suspension is a different design from the former Mercedes based ['08-'14], if anything there might be bushing issues, but that would likely be it.

The electronics and radios are migrated over from the '11-'14 Charger / 300, so far those items have good service history.

About the only things "all-new" would be interior trim and the front / rear facias, but FCA seems to be focused on getting these details right and based on the '11 refresh of the Charger / 300, material quality appears to be pretty good.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The major mechanical items (engines, 6-speed manual) are carry over items .

The 8 speed automatic is new to Challenger, but this ZF transmission has been in production for several years (other mfgrs. use ZF as a supplier).

The body shell itself is a carry over, so shouldn't have any issues there.

The suspension is a different design from the former Mercedes based ['08-'14], if anything there might be bushing issues, but that would likely be it.

The electronics and radios are migrated over from the '11-'14 Charger / 300, so far those items have good service history.

About the only things "all-new" would be interior trim and the front / rear facias, but FCA seems to be focused on getting these details right and based on the '11 refresh of the Charger / 300, material quality appears to be pretty good.
Is the suspension re-design from the old Mercedes design, is that an improvement or just a cost saving measure?

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts
No, overall the car is still the same so it shouldn't be a concern.
If you buy a six speed then it's even closer the the same as this year's model.

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
Is the suspension re-design from the old Mercedes design, is that an improvement or just a cost saving measure?
FCA is using the suspension modules that are shared with Maserati models - another of FCA's divisions and the LX and LD models are moving to that as well.

Cheaper for FCA to use their own designs than pay licensing fees or buy an outside company's parts (Mercedes).

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
Hal H, what makes you say bushing issuses ? as I've been thinking about that for my 11 SRT
Its a general statement - I've found with new(er) designs sometimes the mfgr finds bushing wear or noise issues...I've seen this on new Mercedes designs and other high-end cars. Often with an all new design that gets worked out if issues turn up in the real world with volume production.

Usually its resolved with updated part designs - IIRC, the tension arms and front control arm bushings were an item on early LX cars. Updated bushings resolved it.

I don't know how recent the current Maserati full size (Quattroporte) suspension is, but there may be different bushing rates from the 'Maser design...American cars generally use different tuning rates from the Euro spec cars.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
l like the new dash board etc. but not liking the exterior! ......with that said, l do love our Challengers and l am happy for anyone who likes and continues to buy the Best Muscle Car in the World!!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
FCA is using the suspension modules that are shared with Maserati models - another of FCA's divisions and the LX and LD models are moving to that as well.

Cheaper for FCA to use their own designs than pay licensing fees or buy an outside company's parts (Mercedes).
Well, I am good with that.

The current Challenger has a great ride/handling compromise. I would not want to see either diminished much. It sounds like we should like the ride & handling of the 2015s as well.

That addresses my concern.

Thank you very much Hal. :guiness:

·
Registered
748 Posts
I like every aspect of the refreshed Challenger except the grill and the headlights. Everything else, even the big lower intake grill, it just fine with me.

Kudo's to Dodge for not just not screwing this up, but for pulling it off.

The new interiors are just what the Doctor ordered!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts