Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting very close to making the jump from 392 to HC. The biggest obstacle has been the manual transmission availability for a new HC and I absolutely will not be getting a used one. I’m a diehard manual transmission guy when it comes to muscle cars for the fun and cool factor of them; I know the auto is quicker. I currently own a 392 TA M6 and love it but always saw myself graduating up to a HC some day. Well, the opportunity to buy a new HC is about to wrap up so I need to sh!t or get off the pot as they say. I like the 8 speed and even owned a SP in 2016 with the 8 spd. I thought it was great but eventually missed the M6 and traded in the auto.

All of that being said, shouldn’t the Hellcat be an auto regardless of availability? I would imagine that driving a M6 HC is a handful and difficult to drive well, spiritedly. I know the clutch is much heavier than the 392 M6 and I can’t even imagine how much of a pain it would be in any kind of traffic. Can anyone else provide any personal perspective on this? I’m not that old (40s) so it isn’t a physical limitation but if I’m going to keep this car long term, perhaps the auto would be best. I have some sports mileage on my knees and they get sore already. Thoughts? I want a Sublime standard body (although could be convinced to get a WB).
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,473 Posts
Get what is in your heart. I wanted an M6 Scat Pack but got the automatic for a variety of reason. At the drags I look for manual Hellcats to race, when I find them they usually give me the finger. In spite of that there are many days I wish I had the M6.

Reactions: polara71

· Premium Member
2021 HCWB Hellraisin/Demonic Red
1,147 Posts
I love manuals. I daily a manual. I enjoy regularly what is arguably one of the best manuals ever put into a vehicle in the Honda S2000. In the Hellcat, I ordered the ZF8 and haven’t regretted it once. Not one time. It’s an extremely fun transmission that shifts like lightning, manual mode is fun as heck (go ahead and order the Hurst Billet handle now), and is near bulletproof. It’s notably quicker than the manual equipped car. The ZF8 is not just an outstanding automatic transmission. It’s an outstanding transmission, period.
I’ll add that there are other reasons to go ZF, imo particularly in ‘23, which include insuring that your order gets built at all, and tuning that may decrease engine output for durability and reliability purposes. Just my 2.

· Registered
440 Posts
My Mustang is a 6 spd manual, thats part of the reason i'm going back to a Scat with auto...just depends on what kind of performance you want.

· Registered
2,764 Posts
Manual would be a must for me. I drive automatics all day at work. I'm long bored of them, and I want the full muscle car experience on my own time.

The keyword there is me. I'm me. I'm not you.

· Registered
529 Posts
At the end of the day only people who these cars catch the eyes of are car guys. Really wanna land you a nice one? Show a man your stick.

Why can’t we appreciate everyone’s choices for cars? Enjoy them while we can. Pretty soon the only way to get one is a barn find next to ex presidents classified documents.

Our real focus should be removing bananas. Not arguing about widebody or transmission choices.

· Premium Member
1,147 Posts
At the end of the day only people who these cars catch the eyes of are car guys. Really wanna land you a nice one? Show a man your stick.

Why can’t we appreciate everyone’s choices for cars? Enjoy them while we can. Pretty soon the only way to get one is a barn find next to ex presidents classified documents.
I beg your pardon Sir. I have never shown another man my “stick”, and have no intention of doing so.
Sleeve Gesture Sharing Window Event

· Registered
529 Posts
I love manuals. I daily a manual. I enjoy regularly what is arguably one of the best manuals ever put into a vehicle in the Honda S2000. In the Hellcat, I ordered the ZF8 and haven’t regretted it once. Not one time. It’s an extremely fun transmission that shifts like lightning, manual mode is fun as heck (go ahead and order the Hurst Billet handle now), and is near bulletproof. It’s notably quicker than the manual equipped car. The ZF8 is not just an outstanding automatic transmission. It’s an outstanding transmission, period.
I’ll add that there are other reasons to go ZF, imo particularly in ‘23, which include insuring that your order gets built at all, and tuning that may decrease engine output for durability and reliability purposes. Just my 2.
The s2000 was such a fun car. I haven’t driven one in years. Almost bought a CR in blue when they came out. Bought a G8 GT instead. Didn’t make sense as a daily.

· Registered
529 Posts
Man you seen what those CRs are selling for these days? Wish I’d have picked one up. Glad I got mine though. Great car and runs like new.
View attachment 1072857
Yeah s2000 have plateaued again. Values were insane.

Oh and to answer OPs title. Yes it’s a must in a hellcat. Especially since you want new. That’s the only way you can get a hellcat.

· Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This was never meant to manual vs auto in terms of which is a better transmission for a muscle car or a “man” (seriously, are we 12?). It was intended to discuss whether the auto is best suited when the application is a Hellcat. I love manuals but wonder if owning a manual HC would even be enjoyable. I really enjoy my 6 spd TA 392 but it’s not a HC and the clutch in the HC is very different feeling than in a RT or SP. Also, traction in a HC is very different. The fact that a HC is a literal rocket ship makes me think that the auto would be the most enjoyable. Hold on with both hands and mash the go pedal….

· Registered
2022 HC Redeye
76 Posts
I also had manual muscle cars and loved them, In 2021 when I was finally able to get a HC no manual was available. Well I can say I love the auto it’s fast and fun , i was surprised how fun the A8 is. A few months after getting my car I test drove a M6 HC to see what I was missing. The M6 was fun , but after having the A8 I would never trade it for a M6. My A8 would leave that car in the dust and like I said the A8 is really fun to drive. With the different drive mode settings and being able to shift it in manual mode, really makes for a good time. In 22 I traded it for a new Redeye, so I say get the new HC…

· Registered
450 Posts
I didn't trade/sell my built sc 392 for a redeye because no manual was offered. I like to shift and burn some rubber from time to time. If your a guy who likes to hit the drag strip and strive for the best possible time and or if it's a daily the auto would probably be best.

· Premium Member
1,147 Posts
This was never meant to manual vs auto in terms of which is a better transmission for a muscle car or a “man” (seriously, are we 12?). It was intended to discuss whether the auto is best suited when the application is a Hellcat. I love manuals but wonder if owning a manual HC would even be enjoyable. I really enjoy my 6 spd TA 392 but it’s not a HC and the clutch in the HC is very different feeling than in a RT or SP. Also, traction in a HC is very different. The fact that a HC is a literal rocket ship makes me think that the auto would be the most enjoyable. Hold on with both hands and mash the go pedal….
Well, you won‘t have to hold on with both hands, but the Hellcat does take a learning curve to manage the throttle without boiling the rears. Widebody definitely helps, but it’s still an issue. You’ll learn though, you have experience with hi-po cars. The Hellcat is a bit different, mainly due to the huge amount of torque that comes on so early. Of course that’s part of the fun. I do think it’s more manageable for the driver with the ZF, but that’s just my opinion and I’m sure some will disagree. I just went out for a couple of hours in mine, and it’s always a blast.

Yes you nerd
Sleeve Gesture Sharing Security Eyewear

1 - 20 of 53 Posts