Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
The best drivers will get the certified numbers...and better....that will be few.....

Plenty of owners with 13sec 662HP Mustang GT500's running around.................

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The best drivers will get the certified numbers...and better....that will be few.....

Plenty of owners with 13sec 662HP Mustang GT500's running around.................

Same with ZL1 owners and 13s.

The largest issue is getting out of the hole. I'd like to see what 60ft time that 8.6 @ 89mph in the 1/8th pulled.

That being said, I find the comment funny of how there are more Hellcat threads on other forums than on Mopar forums.

None the less, our Hellkitty is the talk of the town, and I definitely smell fear and concern out there.

Anyhow, here's a real world at Bandimere, CO

Run [email protected] DA Corr - [email protected] mph!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
To run high 10s the Hellcat has to make easy 560 rwhp automatic with slicks in cold air conditions

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is definitely concerning. I get 4.5-4.8 sec consistent 0-60 in my 2012 392 in FL on the back roads with stock tires, no launch control and 3 to 5 runs back to back. The first run always being the worse.

I didn't think the back tires were supposed to move when Launch Control is on. I don't have launch control in my 392, so I don't know how it works. But it seems like if you want to get your best times, you might have to not use LC, and practice launching yourself. LC might just be good for consistency.

Can't you also customize the Launch Control RPMs? Can someone clarify?

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
PIR runs are with all season tires

No, the Hellcat is not a failure. Dodge supplied test cars with all season tires rather than the stickier 3 season tires. My guess before seeing this is the all season tires would take anywhere from 0.5 to a full second off the times. To me, the most surprising thing is Edmunds somehow managing an 11.4 on 275 all season tires. That is more impressive to me than getting an 11.2 on the 3 season tires. But most of them were just smoking those 4 season tires, which should come as no surprise.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No, the Hellcat is not a failure. Dodge supplied test cars with all season tires rather than the stickier 3 season tires. My guess before seeing this is the all season tires would take anywhere from 0.5 to a full second off the times. To me, the most surprising thing is Edmunds somehow managing an 11.4 on 275 all season tires. That is more impressive to me than getting an 11.2 on the 3 season tires. But most of them were just smoking those 4 season tires, which should come as no surprise.
Where did you hear that from? That they had the crappy tires? Do you have a source? Just curious. My 392 was getting 4.5-4.8 0-60 times with the F1 Supercar 3-season stock tires.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
This is definitely concerning. I get 4.5-4.8 sec consistent 0-60 in my 2012 392 in FL on the back roads with stock tires, no launch control and 3 to 5 runs back to back. The first run always being the worse.
I didn't think the back tires were supposed to move when Launch Control is on. I don't have launch control in my 392, so I don't know how it works. But it seems like if you want to get your best times, you might have to not use LC, and practice launching yourself. LC might just be good for consistency.
Can't you also customize the Launch Control RPMs? Can someone clarify?
I agree. I wonder what would happen without the LC enabled?

Why didn't they put wider tires/wheels in the back? It's almost a no brainer with that much HP and TQ.
^ I agree.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Yes...Edmunds did get 11.4 secs..... but the others couldn't duplicate it......driver mod needed.......

Conditions also were not ideal for the best runs either.............

This car is a beast people.....NO doubt about it.....

I cant emphasize this enough......before changing out the rear tires work on your DRIVER MOD.........

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Why didn't they put wider tires/wheels in the back? It's almost a no brainer with that much HP and TQ.

Hehe, with this much torque, I don't think the width of the tires will be of any benefit. Maybe stickier ones.

Even the Viper is hard to keep tame with 13" rears.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably for the same reason Ford went 285's, another "fail safe" point to relieve stress on the drive-train via wheel spin.

Wide tires + alot of HP/torque would really stress things, they still need to warranty these cars, same reason for the clutch protection in the software of the GT500.

The Hellcat drives will face the same issues as the 13/14 GT500 drivers, more power than traction in most cases.

And no, this car is not a failure, its exactly what its intended to be (FUN!), and will be good at it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The bottom line is average drivers expecting jump in a Hellcat and run 11.2 on street tires are going to be disappointed. Just like with any car it's going to take good drivers to match or beat the factory quoted times. Happened with the GT500, the ZL1 and now the Hellcat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was running Nitto NT05 275/40R20 on my stock 20x9 SRT wheels on my 392 after my stock F1 Supercar tires went bald. I didn't recognize a significant increase in performance, but I also didn't test it all that much. Was getting similar results to the F1 Supercar tires.

Are there better street tires that can be put on the stock Hellcat wheels to get best traction? Or are the Pirelli P Zero Nero 275/40ZR20 High Performance stock tires the best it gets?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bottom line average drivers expecting to run 11.2 on street tires are going to be disappointed. Just like with any car it's going to take good drivers to match or beat the factory quoted times. Happened with the GT500, the ZL1 and now the Hellcat.
I agree, I see you also have a Shelby so you know exactly what these 600+whp cars are like with stock rubber.

My 14GT500 will spin the tires at speed, with all nannies on, more than my 99 WS6 ever would from a stop..

While everyone is after the biggest power number, at this level the first attention should be given to traction with these cars.

While 392's make good power, comparisons to the Hellcat with regard to tires probably are not valid.

Hellcat is in a different league...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts