Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sitting here thinking about it. I wanted to trade in my 2011 for a new 2015 challenger. I am in love with the hellcat but is it worth it? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to get the new SRT 392 and supercharge it yourself? I would think it would be easier on the monthly insurance bill too.

What are you guys' thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
If you really want a 2015 (and can afford it), and you want 700+ hp, and you like the look of the Hellcat, then get it. You will have a new car with a warranty and a beefed up drive train.

Sure you could boost your 2011, but you would spend a lot to get all what the Hellcat has and wouldn't have a warranty.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Problem with the 392 is you need to do pistons to run more than 8Lbs which you will need to get over 700 HP
Then the tranny and drive line plus the bigger brakes so yes, the hellcat is more than worth the $.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Depends on what your power goals are. I plan on procharging my scat pack 392 down the road and make 650 crank with low boost and forged pistons. No need to upgrade the drivetrain since I'll just be running 315 street tires. Insurance be cheaper but of course you sacrifice your warranty. If warranty matters to you and you want 700 crank from the factory then you already know your answer.

Reactions: FlamesAreWicked

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I don't mind waiting if that was the case. Just gives me more time to save up and organize finances. Even so, the performance shop near my area can tune anything.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If you plan on supercharging the 392. You'll be better off getting the Hellcat.........
Could never afford that let alone the insurance. No way. I prefer a centrifugal style blower anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
How much crazier can insurance for the hellcat get? Paying 260 a month right now for my 2011 RT
Once people start wrecking them, insurance companies will start bending you over.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I'm sure the car is worth every penny. But I've decided I don't need a Hellcat.

First, I don't want to spend $61,000+
Second, I don't want to deal with all the stupid games dealers are going to play
Third, I don't feel like paying the $2,400 Gas Guzzler tax
Fourth, I don't want to deal with 12/19 MPG
Fifth, I dont' feel like paying the outrageous insurance premiums they are likely to charge for it.

The fact is, at 485HP the 392 will still be faster than 95% of the cars on the road, and the new A8 is only going to make it even faster. It is already frustrating driving on roads clogged with clueless drivers in 100HP Toyotas and Hondas. Having 707HP on tap is only going to make a frustrating drive even more so.

It will be easier to get a good deal on, and order a 392. Most importantly, a 392 will be as stunning as a Hellcat, and most bystanders won't even be able to tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
I'm sure the car is worth every penny. But I've decided I don't need a Hellcat. . .

I'm not getting the HC either. I'll be quite satisfied with the R/T Scat Pack. I like the "look" of the R/T SP better than the HC and want cloth seats (don't like leather). Actually, I'm very satisfied with my current R/T. But it does have nearly 50,000 miles and is almost 6 years old and the 2015 car is really growing on me. :D

And it just so happens that this year I will be able to swing the new car and keep my old one. I'll drive the 2009 during times of snowy weather since I already have snow tires for it.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
How much crazier can insurance for the hellcat get? Paying 260 a month right now for my 2011 RT
I know that this can vary with credit scores, driving records, coverage level, age and zip code, but CRAP! I am paying right around $68/month for my 2012 RT for middle of the range coverage and $250 collision deductible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Besides under the hood, what are the main differences between the HC and 392? All I can think of is the cold air intake hole in the front, the grill and the "supercharged" badges on the side. Would the exhaust and everything still be the same on the 392? I just can't get over the sound of the hellcat on youtube. It's like crack to me right now.

I know that this can vary with credit scores, driving records, coverage level, age and zip code, but CRAP! I am paying right around $68/month for my 2012 RT for middle of the range coverage and $250 collision deductible.
DAMN! And since I am an Army vet, I have usaa insurance and suppose to be cheaper! 26 year old student with "good student" too. Hmmm I have to check that out.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is it worth it? 707 hp and 199 mph from the factory, with warranty, and the suspension and big-ass brakes designed with that power in mind, and all that for $60,000?

HELL YES, it's worth it!!

That being the case the questions are

1) Can you afford it? Not "If I eat nothing but ramen and forgo beer for 6 years" afford, but COMFORTABLY afford. If yes, go on. If No, stop.

2) Do you want it so much it hurts not to have it? If Yes, go on. If No, stop.

3) Would you be more satisfied modding a lesser car to the same level, or driving off the lot with 707 hp under the hood, a full warranty, and the benefit of unmodded resale value? If the latter, go get a Hellcat. If the former, go do that.

Me? I stopped at 1). :D

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Is the Hellcat really worth it ?
To me absolutely 110%
I cannot think of any new car that has come on the market in the past ten years that made me go. I really want one of those and I really want a Hellcat :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it worth it? 707 hp and 199 mph from the factory, with warranty, and the suspension and big-ass brakes designed with that power in mind, and all that for $60,000?

HELL YES, it's worth it!!

That being the case the questions are

1) Can you afford it? Not "If I eat nothing but ramen and forgo beer for 6 years" afford, but COMFORTABLY afford. If yes, go on. If No, stop.

2) Do you want it so much it hurts not to have it? If Yes, go on. If No, stop.

3) Would you be more satisfied modding a lesser car to the same level, or driving off the lot with 707 hp under the hood, a full warranty, and the benefit of unmodded resale value? If the latter, go get a Hellcat. If the former, go do that.

Me? I stopped at 1). :D

Lol I think if I eventually did go for the hellcat, I wouldn't want to resale that baby for nothing. Suspension and brakes are the same on the 392 though no?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Once we get past the frantic latest and greatest car dealer games I think the Hellcat is a fantastic car for the price. I would love to have one, and might get one a few years down the road. That being said if I did get one I would almost never be able to tap into the performance this car offers. I used to drag race when I was younger and it was great fun, but it's one of those things where there is always someone faster. I think the 392 cars are also a great buy for your average person who wants a fun muscle car to cruise around in and take on road trips. That's the type of stuff I enjoy now so think I'll "settle" for the 485 horse model. I would buy a 2014 Core, but the crazy dealers don't seem to be dropping the prices enough to unload them yet.

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
It's not what deductible you have but what are your policy limits? That's what really affects your premium.
The other thing is if people wreck the hellcats the other car involved will cost insurers as well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.