Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for everyone Here, I’m not a sound system kind of guy, I barely even turn the radio on, But just for inquiring minds, There was a sound system option available, It was like $1200? I didn’t get it on my new GoManGo SXT, Was it a big loss? I guess I’m just wondering if it makes a difference? I know many of you might agree with me, for resale it would’ve been nice but I don’t plan to resale it ever, I keep my cars as a one car owner for its life, So, it never would’ve been used or noticed, But for those of you who maybe didn’t have one and then got one, or visa versa, was there a noticeable difference? I forget what it was called, Harmon….? Just wondering if it creates a noticeable difference? I figure nowadays the factory version is usually pretty good?

thank you all in advance to Whomever replies with their stories I am learning a lot Here and Value everyone’s’ opinions and input, I couldn’t appreciate it more!

-Chef Dan, Lancaster County, PA

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quick question for everyone Here, I’m not a sound system kind of guy, I barely even turn the radio on, But just for inquiring minds, There was a sound system option available, It was like $1200? I didn’t get it on my new GoManGo SXT, Was it a big loss? I guess I’m just wondering if it makes a difference? I know many of you might agree with me, for resale it would’ve been nice but I don’t plan to resale it ever, I keep my cars as a one car owner for its life, So, it never would’ve been used or noticed, But for those of you who maybe didn’t have one and then got one, or visa versa, was there a noticeable difference? I forget what it was called, Harmon….? Just wondering if it creates a noticeable difference? I figure nowadays the factory version is usually pretty good?

thank you all in advance to Whomever replies with their stories I am learning a lot Here and Value everyone’s’ opinions and input, I couldn’t appreciate it more!

Harman Kardon is the option. I have it my Shaker 392. It is awesome. The only thing I wished it had was more than a 3 channel equalizer. It much like sitting in the center of your living room. With all the electronics in cars these days, having it installed at the factory makes it easy to have a great sound system.

I changed out the sound system in my RAM Promaster with and aftermarket unit. It took literally programming an adapter to work with the steering wheel controls and an adapter harness to make it all work. Then I added subwoofers and a high powered amp to run 6 speakers. With thousands tied up in it all, it sounds good, but it's now match with the system in my Challenger.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
I paid $2000 more for my stereo, it’s nothing special. If you’re never selling like me then it’s a non issue.
What I find interesting is how all the trim levels and packages have a value when you buy them and add minimal amounts when you’re selling them.
Enjoy your car, the radio package isn’t relevant now.

·
Super Moderator
17,841 Posts
I would recommend the Alpine Audio Group - the standard system is "okay" but there's that extra upper end and bottom end (plus center channel speaker in dash) that gives the sound more presence

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I have the HK on my 15 that I ordered new. I have had several Challenger rent cars that had the Alpine. I was very happy with the Alpine and would not order the HK again. Now, I admit I could have it "set" wrong but I really thought the Alpine was very good and fit my needs.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
I rarely listen to the radio, it doesn’t sound nearly as good as the exhaust does.
I know I know, everyone here is an audiophile. The truth is much of everything online is for bragging rights. Everyone spent tons of money, blah, blah, blah but many of them are still paying credit card bills so they can brag.
After being a residential contractor for 45 years you see how people live and most often much of what they do is for show only. Nice big house you see from the street but very sparsely furnished inside. Remember, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I was "forced" to add the Alpine system, because the salesman said it was required for my PCP order. And the Navigation too. Like you, I didn't care for it. If you are not an audio guy, just know that you have a good sounding system when you want to hear music. Sort of like having that extra bedroom in your house. You don't need it. You don't want it. But that one time a relative from out of state is coming over, staying with you created a lot of great memory for the family.

If you want to keep the cost down, don't. If you "have to" add it, it's a good system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the Alpine 6 premium speakers with 276-watt amplifier in my 2015. I upgraded all the speakers with the infinity and added the infinity basslink subwoofer in the trunk. After adjusting the EQ and fade settings the overall sound definitely got much brighter. And with added basslink more bottom than before.

·
Registered
57 Posts
All of the sound systems suffer by only having a 3-band equalizer. The boomboxes of the '80s usually had 5-band equalizers, which to me are a must. However, with only 3 bands I did finally find the sweet spot for my Alpine audio (the 506 watt version) - but cheated by using the 10-band equalizer presets in my iPod as well (I think it was the "jazz" preset).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Compared to the base (small screen) radio in the SXT, the basic Alpine radio is a big step forward. The small screen radio is muddy, underpowered, and not well balanced. The Alpine is much better, but needs a separate subwoofer for more punch. The upgraded Alpine is better but not perfect to me. With my hearing issues I think the Harmon Kardon radio is pretty good, but "audiophiles" can still find ways to complain about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
WOW! I have to simply say “Wow” to all of You, In response to every one of your replies, I can’t thank each of you enough for your incredibly Well-thought, and Insightful responses, Better than any added sound system, is the information and people You’ll learn from Here!

·
Registered
2018 Plum M6 Scat Pack with Shaker
272 Posts
I have the Alpine syste4m in my Scatpack. Turned all 3 equalizer settings up about 50% to get more volume without too much distortion. Reasonably good sounding music from my iPhone. Did have to get a system update from the dealer to get playlists working.

Sounds OK with music from my iPhone, but the radio (FM tuner) sucks. The base FM radio in my near 20 year old Chevy truck sounds better than FM radio in my Challenger.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I have the Harmon Kardon system. I had to get my audiophile Son to help me set it up, but I love it. It's great. Was just set up wrong from the factory.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Skip it. Save your money 💰 and go with the base system. It’s more then adequate. If you feel you need better sound, go with after market speakers. You’ll be way ahead…. 👍

Skip it. Save your money 💰 and go with the base system. It’s more then adequate. If you feel you need better sound, go with after market speakers. You’ll be way ahead…. 👍
i forgot to mention, when I ordered my 2021 Scat Pack the upgraded Alpine was $1k and the Harman Kardon was $2k. You can get a lot more for much less…

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat / 2022 Challenger Redeye Widebody
464 Posts
I love the 18 speaker HK system. Lots of folks don't know how to configure it properly. For example, it is set up in true multi-channel fashion. To take advantage of this, you need an input device that supports audio with multichannel format. Thus, something like a cell phone in Bluetooth with an MP3 or MP4 playing a high quality audio track. XM/Sirius and the stereo won't use this feature as they only output in basic stereo (left or right side, front or back). However, with high quality sound files that do things like multiplexing, you can have the guitars playing in the front left, drums at the rear, bass guitar on the right front, vocals in the center, and other sound effects coming from other directions. It's a pretty cool experience.

In addition, since most of us have cell phones, you can download equalizer apps to work around the standard 3 item EQ in the dash. Again, that's only going to work for your audio files being played from that device.

I've tried the Alpine in a previous car... I'd honestly rather just not have a stereo at all than have to deal with the Alpine. The HK is a nice stereo, but not as good as an aftermarket system. On the plus side, you don't have any aftermarket installers messing up your wiring harness or messing up the box install to where everything in the car rattles and so on. It's fully warrantied. In my opinion, it's one of the best premium speaker setups available on the market in "affordable" cars. The luxury German cars have some killer stereos... but those options are $6,000-$8,000. I think the HK is wonderful for the cost.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the Alpine syste4m in my Scatpack. Turned all 3 equalizer settings up about 50% to get more volume without too much distortion. Reasonably good sounding music from my iPhone. Did have to get a system update from the dealer to get playlists working.

Sounds OK with music from my iPhone, but the radio (FM tuner) sucks. The base FM radio in my near 20 year old Chevy truck sounds better than FM radio in my Challenger.
I love the 18 speaker HK system. Lots of folks don't know how to configure it properly. For example, it is set up in true multi-channel fashion. To take advantage of this, you need an input device that supports audio with multichannel format. Thus, something like a cell phone in Bluetooth with an MP3 or MP4 playing a high quality audio track. XM/Sirius and the stereo won't use this feature as they only output in basic stereo (left or right side, front or back). However, with high quality sound files that do things like multiplexing, you can have the guitars playing in the front left, drums at the rear, bass guitar on the right front, vocals in the center, and other sound effects coming from other directions. It's a pretty cool experience.

In addition, since most of us have cell phones, you can download equalizer apps to work around the standard 3 item EQ in the dash. Again, that's only going to work for your audio files being played from that device.
oh wow! What a brilliant reply! Thank You so much I didn’t know it was that detailed, I am also about as much of an audiophile as I am a tech guy, so, paired with all the guys who’ve said “Be Happy with what You’ve got, You know what you need and you’ve chosen what’s right for you” Your post, like all the others I just mentioned Have been so Helpful, I didn’t know that at all, So You really just solidified this for me that I made the right decision because had I got that system, I would’ve been sooooooooooo lost, I don’t know anything about apps, Downloads, audio files, or eqalizers!?!?!?!?! So thank you so much for giving this superb reply because all that would’ve just been too much for me, I would’ve never ever ever used it and it would’ve been about as effective as It’s going to be having not added it lol! At least having chosen the latter, I’ll have saved about $1200 to not use it instead of having purchased it and not used it lol!

thank you so much great input

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat / 2022 Challenger Redeye Widebody
464 Posts
oh wow! What a brilliant reply! Thank You so much I didn’t know it was that detailed, I am also about as much of an audiophile as I am a tech guy, so, paired with all the guys who’ve said “Be Happy with what You’ve got, You know what you need and you’ve chosen what’s right for you” Your post, like all the others I just mentioned Have been so Helpful, I didn’t know that at all, So You really just solidified this for me that I made the right decision because had I got that system, I would’ve been sooooooooooo lost, I don’t know anything about apps, Downloads, audio files, or eqalizers!?!?!?!?! So thank you so much for giving this superb reply because all that would’ve just been too much for me, I would’ve never ever ever used it and it would’ve been about as effective as It’s going to be having not added it lol! At least having chosen the latter, I’ll have saved about $1200 to not use it instead of having purchased it and not used it lol!

thank you so much great input
From a much simpler perspective, the HK has 2x 10" subs for nice bass output. You can literally feel it if you turn it up. It's not the best hi def bass tone, you'll get some distortion at high sound volumes, but you can in fact get bass enough to shake the car with the HK if that's important at all. Alpine, not so much.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From a much simpler perspective, the HK has 2x 10" subs for nice bass output. You can literally feel it if you turn it up. It's not the best hi def bass tone, you'll get some distortion at high sound volumes, but you can in fact get bass enough to shake the car with the HK if that's important at all. Alpine, not so much.
Perfectly stated, Yea, Even though I’m only 38, I’m pretty mellow, but what you’ve done Here is you’ve been able to paint a picture beautifully of practicality, and the options of the system and how it’s benefits are useful if that’s your liking, it wouldn’t be for me, but, the way you’ve put it, I can definitely see why someone else may love it, and it sounds like something extra special for a good value and Pricepoint, it may not rock the block, but it’s going to make someone feel proud to roll their windows down and Add some music to the streets, Very cool actually, Too bad I don’t know where that stopped being of interest, there was definitely a time in my life a decade and a half or two ago where I would’ve loved it and think it sounds like a Solid value for the money because from what I’m Hearing Here Most systems that are comparable are usually a whole lot more money and Headache so it does sound like a true win for the customer and a great savings of time, money, and Headaches if you wanted a great system for a fair price, you’ve really Helped paint that into perspective though too where It’s been Helpful for me and may also be for others is seeing, or learning rather from where you’ve stated it’s not just twist a knob and go, You’ve also got to have some tech understanding to go along with that and have to partner some knowledge of what you want from your music, your tech, and how to adjust your system for that, which while some may even want it, may be a little too technical for them, but also some people get tech very easily and it may be no learning curve at all for others in fairness

By the way, I don’t know if that’s your car or a professional stock image in your photo, but awesome Car regardless Xylander!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would recommend the Alpine Audio Group - the standard system is "okay" but there's that extra upper end and bottom end (plus center channel speaker in dash) that gives the sound more presence
This is one of those options where everyone has an opinion. Son in law ordered the vehicle (part owner at a dealer & orders all their cars) cost not a factor -we went with A[pine - we are not unhappy. sounds great. My only must have option on an SP is WB or Dynamics pkg. She did not like WB - I got my Dynamics.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I've tried the Alpine in a previous car... I'd honestly rather just not have a stereo at all than have to deal with the Alpine. The HK is a nice stereo, but not as good as an aftermarket system. On the plus side, you don't have any aftermarket installers messing up your wiring harness or messing up the box install to where everything in the car rattles and so on. It's fully warrantied. In my opinion, it's one of the best premium speaker setups available on the market in "affordable" cars. The luxury German cars have some killer stereos... but those options are $6,000-$8,000. I think the HK is wonderful for the cost.
Great that you like it, but ultimately the value is poor. Believe me I spent 32 years as an engineer/manager in the audio biz…

1 - 20 of 54 Posts