Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a video of a guy doing a review on a 2016 SXT Challenger and numerous times throughout the video he said that the car was not a muscle car. I disagree. It looks like a muscle car and it drives like a muscle car. Has plenty of muscle for me. What say you?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Yes, it has the muscle car look, but not really the muscle car "muscle". :) I have a 2018 GT (same 3.6L engine as SE/SXT - just with AWD). While 305hp is nothing to sneeze at, we have to remember that we're talking about a big, 4000lb+ car.

For example, I also have a 2012 Impala with a 3.6L direct-injected engine - and it's probably faster than my 2018 Challenger, simply becuase it weighs less. The Challenger is *so* much nicer (interior and exterior), but 305hp for a big 4000lb+ vehicle isn't really true "muscle car" power, IMO.

That being said, the 305hp in the 3.6L Challengers is still plenty of power for me and my uses - and I'm completely happy with it! To me, the AWD was more important than the V8.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It’s a debated topic.

Traditionally a muscle car is: rear wheel drive, affordable to a wide range of consumers, designed with drag racing in mind and fitted with a V8.
You can argue any of these points. The term is subjective as it is simply an extension of the hotroding lifestyle that was born from drag racing (big engines and light cars).
A Challenger is a modern day muscle car in my opinion but it has to be a V8/performance package car. To each their own. There are even purists out there that say there are no muscle cars and that those only reined from the 60s-70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
3,594 Posts
My 2018 SXT has all the power I need for my purposes. It may not live up to the true definition of a muscle car but I personally didn't get my Challenger with the sole purpose of having a true "muscle" car. The Challenger, in my opinion, is the best looking car out there in any trim. It looks fast just sitting there.I've had my share of V8 Camaros,T/As and Corvettes and my 3.6 with 305 hp would give them a good run. At my age I don't worry too much about what people want to call my car, all I know is it makes me smile every time I look at it and get behind the wheel. Kinda like the way it turns heads too,

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
My 2018 SXT has all the power I need for my purposes. It may not live up to the true definition of a muscle car but I personally didn't get my Challenger with the sole purpose of having a true "muscle" car. The Challenger, in my opinion, is the best looking car out there in any trim. It looks fast just sitting there.I've had my share of V8 Camaros,T/As and Corvettes and my 3.6 with 305 hp would give them a good run. At my age I don't worry too much about what people want to call my car, all I know is it makes me smile every time I look at it and get behind the wheel. Kinda like the way it turns heads too,
Well said! :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
A 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am with 5.0L V8 Carb puts out 145hp. That was a muscle car. Power then went up 165hp with fuel injection. The rest is history.

There are only three "Muscle" car left, Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro even with 2.0L Turbo.

But I agree with above, the terms should be with cars of the 60s-70s when it really meant what it suppose to mean.

It's like saying Honda Accord is an "Import." We all know it's more "American" than anything else.

I think the only word left to describe cars for what they are is "Exotic" cars.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
I just wonder if back in 1970, someone didn't get called out for not having a muscle car because their Challenger was powered by the slant-six engine?

Honestly, I have a V-6 that does all that I need it to do. My feelings aren't hurt if I don't have a muscle car in someone's eyes. I just know the car looks killer to me, and that's all that counts.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I'm not so sure the number of cylinders alone is what makes a car a "muscle" car either. Like stated above, in the 80's, V8 "muscle" cars had less than 200hp. And there are V6 vehicles with turbo's that will blow away a lot of V8's in terms of power. Hell, the Grand National was the fastest production car for a while - and it had a V6. I think I would consider a Grand National GNX a "muscle" car....

To me, it's not the number of cylinders, but how fast and powerful the car is - regardless of whether it's a V6, V8.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
3,594 Posts
I'm not so sure the number of cylinders alone is what makes a car a "muscle" car either. Like stated above, in the 80's, V8 "muscle" cars had less than 200hp. And there are V6 vehicles with turbo's that will blow away a lot of V8's in terms of power. Hell, the Grand National was the fastest production car for a while - and it had a V6. I think I would consider a Grand National GNX a "muscle" car....

To me, it's not the number of cylinders, but how fast and powerful the car is - regardless of whether it's a V6, V8.

Just my opinion, of course. :)
That's my opinion too, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If you want to go by the original meaning, it was loosely posted by Newoldchallenger above.They missed the bold part, but spot on otherwise.

Strict Definition of a Muscle Car:
A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price.

Today's meaning is something else.

Wiki- Muscle car is an American term for high-performance cars, usually rear-wheel drive and fitted with a large and powerful V8 engine. No mention of being affordable or size

Merriam- Webster- any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving. No mention of V8. Only a powerful engine. No mention of size or affordability either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I think of muscle, I think of a loud, heavy, hotrodded, carbureted V8 with a huge cam, made for running in a straight line, usually in the ballpark of 400ci.

So no, the V6... along with all other modern American sport cars, aren’t real muscle cars. Sometimes I even hesitate to call my 69 Vette a muscle car, since it’s not that loud, an automatic, and has a small(350/5.7) engine.

Maybe that’s just because I grew up in a hotrodding family. Who knows.

On the other hand, if the average person watched my loud 3.6 V6 (or any supercharged/heavily modded V6), pull a stock 5.7 R/T in a race, and was asked what kind of cars were racing, they would almost certainly refer to both cars as muscle cars.

So in reality, it all depends on YOUR definition of “muscle”.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
Definition of muscle car
: any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/muscle car

That said, IMHO a Classic Muscle Car had to be a V8 . Modern Muscle Cars is a tough call, they aren't the same animal. If you raise the bar, is 375HP a Muscle Car when 600 and 700 are available? What about a V6 that can outrun a V8 "Muscle Car"? I'm old school, so a Muscle Car had a V8. Our Challengers are Muscle Cars, but with a V6 :grin2:

A Guy

·
Registered
Plum Crazy 2019 SXT AWD
34 Posts
I don't think my SXT AWD is a muscle car, but I like to pretend it is:) And when I'm driving around, no one knows what is inside, they just assume it has a powerful engine. I'd say muscle car = manual V8. Anyway, the V6 is a huge step up from all of the other cars I've had.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
And when I'm driving around, no one knows what is inside, they just assume it has a powerful engine.
It's funny you say that - when I was at the McDondalds drive-thru the other day, the kid at the window says "what do you have in there - a big 392 or something?". I could have lied and said "yeah - it's a monster! - but I never do that. I just say "nope - it's a V6 as I wanted the AWD". :)

Just making the point that while most non-"car people" have no idea what engine you have, most 'real' car people can tell it's a V6 right away just by the exhaust sound - or lack thereof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would think of them as... athletic cars lol not muscle cars. A muscle car is defined by its body (coupe), its motor (V8), its exhaust (something loud) and it's drive (rwd).

·
Registered
958 Posts
the 3.6 has the horsepower of some 1970/71+ big block cars but it lacks the torque (268) of even the little garbage truck engine, the 318 (320).

The SXT is a fun car to daily drive and toss around, it's no slouch but no, it isn't a muscle car. The 70 Challenger with a 318 wasn't a muscle car either nor was it ever advertised as one.

Reactions: UP3985

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
I am what I am

A Guy

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Our Challengers are Muscle Cars, but with a V6 :grin2:

A Guy

I like this quote but do concur and appreciate all the comments and opinions. One thing no one mentioned is the
IRS vice having a solid axle and rear stabilizer. Does that make any difference? B-

1 - 20 of 207 Posts