Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving the 392, I felt the clutch grabbed lower and quicker than the 6.1L. The shifter also did not have as much play in it. The 6.1L shifter actually felt looser than my R/T. My wife commented on this after driving both and said she felt the 392 was easier to judge and drive. We ended up getting the 6.1L for the price and color and could not be happier. We just want to make sure this is normal and not an issue with our particular car.

·
Super Moderator
17,469 Posts
Fewer # and larger input shaft splines on the 6.4 version - this was likely to increase the strength of the splines with the higher torque output.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase of the 2010 detonator yellow SRT8. In my humble opinion; very nice color, year, and model! :)

I'm not to familiar with the manual setup on either the new or old model. I heard from motortrend that they felt like the 2011 Tremec shifter was a bit loose and felt like holding on the the tentacle of a squid. However, I'm not sure if this is the same witht the older shifters as well.

One thing I read that was highly recommended for the transmission was the Hurst aftermarket shifter. People said it elimated a lot of play within the shifter and it elimated any possibility of a mis-shift.

I hope you get enjoy your 6.1 Challenger when the weather cooperates!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Loose Shifter

Yeah, I wish you all the best when it comes to tightening up the shifting on your SRT8. I'm not really familiar with the transimission setups on Dodge vehicles; thus I'm not really sure how much or how long it would take to switch from a stock shifter to an aftermarket shifter.

If you happen to switch to an aftermarket shifter... I would love to see pictures! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts