Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a huge fan of the chrome mopar T Handle shifters, i know they make gloss black ones, but really, I'd just love to have an old shool looking shifter like the one I had in my 72 Challenger. Haven't really seen them anywhere, im sure there's not a big demand for something like this... but has anybody seen anything similar??? I realize the side button isnt necessary now, but Im talking more about the plastic finish etc...

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
lol I started a thread on the same exact thing last month! Ebay sells the repro 1971-74 T-shift (aka Slapstick) shifter handles for about $50. Of course it's not a direct fit, and the thumb knob wouldn't work (wouldn't need to on our cars), but I think it would make an excellent retro-look mod. The question is, would our shifter post fit inside the hole of the slapstick with only minor modification? Only way to tell is get one and check it out. I'll wait to hear from you.....LOL! :icon_razz:

The only other option I see is to get the T-handle from BT: Billet T-Handle Shifter

Not an exact match, but it is available in black and "suggests" the retro look of the First Gen Challengers.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol I started a thread on the same exact thing last month! Ebay sells the repro 1971-74 T-shift (aka Slapstick) shifter handles for about $50. Of course it's not a direct fit, and the thumb knob wouldn't work (wouldn't need to on our cars), but I think it would make an excellent retro-look mod. The question is, would our shifter post fit inside the hole of the slapstick with only minor modification? Only way to tell is get one and check it out. I'll wait to hear from you.....LOL! :icon_razz:

The only other option I see is to get the T-handle from BT: Billet T-Handle Shifter

Not an exact match, but it is available in black and "suggests" the retro look of the First Gen Challengers.
HAHA honestly i did try to search for this topic but there were a million T Handle shifter threads and i didnt see anything vintage-related. The shifter from BT is an option, i forgot about them. Nice that they can be engraved too. I also found a few black versions of the mopar shifter on eBay too, The only problem is that they are both from China and are made of plastic.. may not be the best idea lol... but they look pretty cool

·
Registered
558 Posts
Pick up a used mopar T handle and some wrinkle black spraypaint. You could even paint the logo and lettering if you wanted.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Pick up a used mopar T handle and some wrinkle black spraypaint. You could even paint the logo and lettering if you wanted.
Hmmmm....wrinkle black paint - that's a pretty good idea - it would give it a textured look similar to the original black plastic ones. Maybe even leave the driver's side chrome to give a similar appearance to the Slapstick.

My only concern would be the durability of the paint - the shifter is used often, and I could see how sweat/oils from the hand could cause it to wear off easily.

I'm still considering the BT T-handle, but I'm not convinced yet since the finger grooves are more exagerated than the Mopar or Hurst, and there were no grooves on the original Slapstick. I'm just trying to get something as close looking to the Slapstick as I can.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Hmmmm....wrinkle black paint - that's a pretty good idea - it would give it a textured look similar to the original black plastic ones. Maybe even leave the driver's side chrome to give a similar appearance to the Slapstick.

My only concern would be the durability of the paint - the shifter is used often, and I could see how sweat/oils from the hand could cause it to wear off easily.

I'm still considering the BT T-handle, but I'm not convinced yet since the finger grooves are more exagerated than the Mopar or Hurst, and there were no grooves on the original Slapstick. I'm just trying to get something as close looking to the Slapstick as I can.
Is Mopar T handle is plastic?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Is Mopar T handle is plastic?
From what I heard the earlier (2008-2010?) produced Mopar T-handles were chrome covered metal, but the newer ones are chrome covered plastic.

When I was talking about the textured plastic ones, I was refering to the original T-handles (Slapstick) of the 1971-74 Challengers.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
From what I heard the earlier (2008-2010?) produced Mopar T-handles were chrome covered metal, but the newer ones are chrome covered plastic.

When I was talking about the textured plastic ones, I was refering to the original T-handles (Slapstick) of the 1971-74 Challengers.
I understand about the slapstick handles. The reason I asked I thought the Mopar handles were metal. Didn't realize that they changed them to plastic.

If a older version can be sourced. The handle could be powder coated. The do have textured finishes.

·
Registered
558 Posts

My only concern would be the durability of the paint - the shifter is used often, and I could see how sweat/oils from the hand could cause it to wear off easily.....
If you went with wrinkle black engine paint (used on motorcycles) durability shouldn't be an issue.

My Mopar T handle from 2010 is chromed plastic, although you wouldn't know it in it's current brushed finish state.
For plastic it gets quite hot or cold with the temperature in the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

Perhaps use brush on Rhino Liner.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
On the vintage T handle!
I believe it has a set screw,you could get a longer set screw from a parts store.
And drill and tap a couple more set screws for stability!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK, so i found this on a charger forum. This guy saw the same black coated, plastic Mopar t shifter I saw on Ebay from china. Good news and bad news. Good news is that the seller is legit, and he got it in 8 days. He said the quality was very nice and didnt feel like plastic at all. Bad news, he decided to try to paint the "M" logo blue, he didnt like how it turned out so he never installed it, so no install pics, but, there is this pic, which will kind of give you an idea... i think im definitely gonna get this one.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
On the vintage T handle!
I believe it has a set screw,you could get a longer set screw from a parts store.
And drill and tap a couple more set screws for stability!
Set screw is a definate help - just wondering the size of the opening of the handle is in comparison to the shifter post in our car. If the opening is too deep or wide, that is an easy fix by using something to fil it and/or use additional set screws as you suggested; if the opening isn't wide or deep enough, drilling it out could be problematic. Only way to tell is compare them by test-fit. Seeing that that would entail ordering it from ebay and then returning it if it won't fit, that could be a hassle.

I wish someone out there has a new gen Challenger and an old gen Challenger/Barracuda/Charger with the Slapstick and wouldn't mind removing it to test-fit it on the new gen and give us their observations of the Slapstick's opening compared to the modern shift post.............................

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Pics of Black Mopar T-shifter Installed?

OK, so i found this on a charger forum. This guy saw the same black coated, plastic Mopar t shifter I saw on Ebay from china. Good news and bad news. Good news is that the seller is legit, and he got it in 8 days. He said the quality was very nice and didnt feel like plastic at all. Bad news, he decided to try to paint the "M" logo blue, he didnt like how it turned out so he never installed it, so no install pics, but, there is this pic, which will kind of give you an idea... i think im definitely gonna get this one.

It's definately an option, I just wish I could see how the black Mopar t-handle looks once installed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts