Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Mods please move if this is in the wrong section. I actually like the look of the stock shifter in my 09 Challenger, but I wish it had a tighter and more precise feel to it. I'd rather keep it if there is a way to improve it's function because it just goes very well with the car's character. Are there any off the shelf kits to upgrade the internal mechanism for the stocker or is buying a Barton Shifter my only choice in getting a nice precise shifter for my Challenger?

The level I want to achive is to match the feel of the new Mustang 5.0 shifter. I sat in one maybe a year ago on a car lot, and the shifter had a machinist level of precision. That's my point of reference of the feel I want to end up with on my Challenger.

Any help or advice is appreciated

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Hello all,

Mods please move if this is in the wrong section. I actually like the look of the stock shifter in my 09 Challenger, but I wish it had a tighter and more precise feel to it. I'd rather keep it if there is a way to improve it's function because it just goes very well with the car's character. Are there any off the shelf kits to upgrade the internal mechanism for the stocker or is buying a Barton Shifter my only choice in getting a nice precise shifter for my Challenger?

The level I want to achive is to match the feel of the new Mustang 5.0 shifter. I sat in one maybe a year ago on a car lot, and the shifter had a machinist level of precision. That's my point of reference of the feel I want to end up with on my Challenger.

Any help or advice is appreciated

You can keep you stock shifter with the Barton and get what you want. That's exactly my set up. I installed the Barton with their pistol grip, but then change the pistol grip back to my stock stick and knob.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Yes the - '09 to '14 OEM shifters were an example of long throws and 'rubbery' feel due to the soft bushings to have it quiet.

Shifting into 1st after sitting at a light in Neutral (pushing against a 'rubbery feel' or shift from 2nd>3rd (long throw), or for 5th/6th was like: "its out there somewhere".

The aftermarket shifters can allow use of the OEM pistol grip and look stock while having improved shift action and feel.

Reactions: 2009Hemiorange

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the quick input:banger:. Sounds like a quick solution. I wasn't aware the stock stick and knob could be transferred

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,718 Posts
You can use your existing shifter handle with the Barton.
Yes you can. I have the Barton OEM short throw installed together with my stock pistol grip.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Thanks all for the quick input:banger:. Sounds like a quick solution. I wasn't aware the stock stick and knob could be transferred
there are two versions of the Barton - you'll want the one that allows use of the stock shift handle.

The images in this thread are the versions that use the "flat stick" the Barton makes.

Reactions: PaVaSteeler

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
This is what you get with the version that uses the factory shift lever. I just installed one a couple of weeks ago and it bumps the shifter height a little. My arm no longer rubs my soda can when it is in the cup holder. Some have noted a slight increase in transmission noise in the cabin but I did not.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'd like to correct this information...... There are two version, but it doesn't matter which one you get. The stock shifter handle can be used with both. I bought my Barton in July, I had my own knob so I couldn't use the flat stick until I got a bushing sent from Speed Dawg. So while I waited for the bushing to come in, I simply used my factory shifter you just don't install the flat stick if you want to use your factory equipment. It's a great mod and worth every penny.

Reactions: PaVaSteeler

·
Registered
407 Posts
If I may hijack this thread because I've been wanting a Barton...does anyone know if/where I can find a "T-handle" somewhere to go along with the Barton?

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,235 Posts
If I may hijack this thread because I've been wanting a Barton...does anyone know if/where I can find a "T-handle" somewhere to go along with the Barton?
You may have to have one fabricated since Barton doesn't sell one.

For their flat stick, the specs for the knob are: M12 x 1.25mm

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
At first I wasn't so sure of the Barton shifter, but a day or so after I installed it, I was in love with the way it feels. I am SO GLAD I did. And, as you can tell from other pics in previous posts, it looks so much nicer. Yeah, and mine does too!

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
At first I wasn't so sure of the Barton shifter, but a day or so after I installed it, I was in love with the way it feels. I am SO GLAD I did. And, as you can tell from other pics in previous posts, it looks so much nicer. Yeah, and mine does too!
A day after?! I was in love at first shift. :wink3:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here you go...

Go to any Pep Boys and you can get the original Hurst "T" handle grip. See my pics. The handle is solid aluminum and comes with a number of bushings/adapters that will allow you to thread it on to the Barton. I suggested directly to Barton that they should consider coming up with their own version of this but they didn't seem interested.
IMO, no other 6spd shifter grip feels better in the hand or is more "period correct on a muscle car" than the Hurst T handle.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go to any Pep Boys and you can get the original Hurst "T" handle grip. See my pics. The handle is solid aluminum and comes with a number of bushings/adapters that will allow you to thread it on to the Barton. I suggested directly to Barton that they should consider coming up with their own version of this but they didn't seem interested.
IMO, no other 6spd shifter grip feels better in the hand or is more "period correct on a muscle car" than the Hurst T handle.
That looks really darn good with the T Handle. Thanks!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'll be damned...exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts