Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. Coming up on my first oil change. On my 2020 scat pack 392. Is there an oil cooler that needs to be drained also. I’ve seen it talked about on hellcats. Also. My car states to use 0-40 penzoil. I’ve seen Mobil 1 0-20 mentioned a lot

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Use only 0W40 full-synthetic engine oils meeting FCA's MS-12633 spec.

Yes there is an oil-water cooler on the 6.4L/392 engine. Engine coolant flows through an adapter above the oil filter to temper the engine oil temps. There is no oil flowing to a separate cooler therefore nothing else needs to be drained during an oil change other than the oil pan & filter.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
Hey Guys. Coming up on my first oil change. On my 2020 scat pack 392. Is there an oil cooler that needs to be drained also. I’ve seen it talked about on hellcats. Also. My car states to use 0-40 penzoil. I’ve seen Mobil 1 0-20 mentioned a lot
There is an oil cooler, it’s actually the thing the oil filter screws onto. The filter housing has engine coolant circulating around in it to draw off heat, and it’s body has little horizontal fins commonly seen with many types of heat exchangers.

No special attention is necessary during the oil change, it will drain itself when the oil filter is removed.

The manual says use 0w-40 Pennzoil or an equivalent. If you have any factory powertrain warranty remaining, best to at least use a 0w-40 oil, Pennzoil or not, to keep any future warranty claims from becoming unnecessarily complicated.

You can run 0w-20 of any brand and as long as you are not operating the engine at its limits for extended periods of time (auto cross racing, etc), you will never know a difference. Neither will your engine.

If something happens to the engine that requires a warranty claim to fix, running the 0w-20 oil could be an issue of contention when they decide to cover claim or not. Just keep that in mind.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
Use what the factory recommends, not what "forum oil engineers" yap about.

0-40 weight which meets the Chrysler spec will keep your engine under warranty, if that is important to you.

As already stated, no extra servicing needed with the oil cooler.

Enjoy the beast.

·
Registered
398 Posts
srt filters from dodge dealer around 11.00 on the big e bay, oil is available on amazon for not too bad of a price

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody - Octane Red
10 Posts
srt filters from dodge dealer around 11.00 on the big e bay, oil is available on amazon for not too bad of a price
And if you purchase that Pennzoil 0W-40 Ultra Platinum (MS-12633 spec) oil within the next two days (by March 14, 2021) there's up to a Shell Gas $22 rebate available from Pennzoil,

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but does an '18 Scat Pack have a factory oil cooler as standard equipment, or is this something available as an option? Same question, but this time it applies to a transmission cooler.
An oil cooler is standard equipment for the 6.4L, it’s just above the oil filter on the underside of the engine.

There is no extra cooler for the trans fluid (that I am aware of) above and beyond what comes with all the V8s which all have one integrated inside the radiator assembly.

Reactions: A Guy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts